🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » Converting Active Candidacy to actual Intervi...
Page options
jessicagoecke
Community Member

Converting Active Candidacy to actual Interview/project discussion

I've been messaged by potential clients saying they are interested in my work or even willing to hire, and as a result I've been placed into active candidacy. I have always responded promptly to set up a time to actually discuss/interview, but then hear nothing back.

What's the Upwork etiquette around prospecting in these situations? Do you continue to reach out to them, or leave it alone? Am I missing something here...like are the direct messages just automated when a client drags a proposal into active candidacy?

8 REPLIES 8
mdkhan0465
Community Member

Hello Jessica,

There is no option to drag and drop a proposal in active candidacy. After you apply for a job, client review your profile and most of the times send you a message for an interview. After that, you start to see that job in active candidacy section until they close the job, or they hire you for that job, or you withdraw your proposal for that job. 

Hope, you got your answer.

~~~Solayman

My problem is that I get messaged for interviews and the interviews never actually happen. The client doesn’t respond when I try to set up a time to discuss details.

I’m wondering what other freelancers in this community do - do you treat it like a warm lead and reach out multiple times until you get a response from the potential client? Or just leave it alone?

@Jessica G wrote:

I’m wondering what other freelancers in this community do - do you treat it like a warm lead and reach out multiple times until you get a response from the potential client? Or just leave it alone?

Leave it alone and move. Never bug clients, they may have found someone, they may have lost interest, they may have been abducted by aliens, it doesn't matter.

This is a fire and forget business.

-----------
"Where darkness shines like dazzling light"   —William Ashbless

@Jessica G wrote:
My problem is that I get messaged for interviews and the interviews never actually happen. The client doesn’t respond when I try to set up a time to discuss details.

It has happened to me so often in the last few weeks I have lost count. What bugs me is that these people mess up your message page and you can't archive them. On the other hand, just occasionally, a client who has invited you will sometimes come to life again. 

@Nichola L wrote:

@Jessica G wrote:

It has happened to me so often in the last few weeks I have lost count. What bugs me is that these people mess up your message page and you can't archive them. On the other hand, just occasionally, a client who has invited you will sometimes come to life again. 

Nichola,

You can archive them. On the active candidacy page click on "My Proposal". Scroll down and you'll see three options: "Change Terms", "Withdraw Proposal" and "Archive".

@Virginia F wrote:

@Nichola L wrote:

@Jessica G wrote:

Nichola,

You can archive them. On the active candidacy page click on "My Proposal". Scroll down and you'll see three options: "Change Terms", "Withdraw Proposal" and "Archive".

Yes, I know you can archive those, but you can't archive invitations that are in your message room. In fact, I don't know why some invitations are in the message room and are not simply "active candidacy". 

@Nichola L wrote:

@Virginia F wrote:

@Nichola L wrote:

@Jessica G wrote:

Nichola,

Yes, I know you can archive those, but you can't archive invitations that are in your message room. In fact, I don't know why some invitations are in the message room and are not simply "active candidacy". 

Sorry - saw the thread title and thought it was just about active candidacies ... I guess I've never received an invitation in my message room. I know that once I respond to an invite, it opens a message room. If it doesn't go anywhere, I "hide" it. If you select "contracts only", at least it gets those invites out of the way.

But it would be nice to have a delete option - maybe after a certain period of time.

@Nichola L wrote:

What I do is I "hide" them so the message room isn't cluttered with unresponsive/"inactive" clients/candidacies

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths