🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » Customer ask for additional service after the...
Page options
270d1f33
Community Member

Customer ask for additional service after the contract start

I'm a newbie on Upwork, thus I desperately look for orders and good feedbacks to start my career here. Last week I sent a proposal for a job, the customer replied me shortly with another offer of 20 bucks. He said it's a test order. I check the task, it looks really more than a test order. However, I was not too busy these days and I really need orders to boost my account. So I start to work, in actual in order to make sure I could do the task. I only accepted the contract after I finished the job. Because I have heard if the contract terminated before completion after it start, even the customer take his fund back, my completion rating will be tanked.
So I worked on the task for two days, and the work I offered to customer was totally matches his requests. And I believe I did a great job. But today I got the feedback from customer said the work is OK, but he forgot to mention something else requests in the order, and want me to add the plus information as well.
The new request is totally not mentioned on the original post, and they are not things that can be not simply solved. I feel really frustrated for this, the test order was extremely under paid, almost feel like a scam although the customer emphasised it's A TEST ORDER. Now the added request makes it even worse.
What can I do to prevent things like this happen again. Is it allowed the customer ask for additional request after the freelancer took the order? If I refuse to do so, terminate this order and refund the customer, how could I prevent the negative aftermath to my account? Does upwork have any restrictions to stop customers from doing such thing?
3 REPLIES 3
prestonhunter
Community Member

re: "Customer ask for additional service after the contract start?"

No.

re: "Is it allowed the customer ask for additional request after the freelancer took the order?"

No. That is not allowed.

It is a violation of Upwork TOS for a client to ask a freelancer to work for free.

Don't do anything extra for free.

Tell the client that YES, you will do that task, after he releases payments, closes the contract, and sets up a new hourly or fixed-price contract to pay for the work.

I'm afraid this won't solve the problem, the contract has already started, and I have uploaded my work. If now I do follow your suggestion, I'm afraid there will be two consequences for me. One, he can simply refuse to close the order before I give him the additional information. Two, even the customer agree to close the order, but if I don't give him what he want after that, the customer very li kely will leave me a bad review. Both will ruin my account.

Plz let me know if you have any arbitration system to solve such problems? The original job post, original offer and the message he send me can prove my words.

Upwork is not going to arbitrate this matter on your behalf.

You need to handle this yourself. But you can ask for advice here in the Forum.

I can not advise you to work for free. I can not advise you to help a client violate Upwork TOS.

You need to,learn how to use Upwork properly.

Do not be afraid of this client.

Keep in mind the fact that this client needs you a lot more than you need him.

Give the client the opportunity to do the right thing.

You are the professional. The client has goals. You need to tell the client what to do in order to achieve his goals. Tell the client the true path.

Tell the client that you will work on that next step after he releases payment and closes the current contract.

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths