🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » Entrapment of freelancers
Page options
akmalsabiha
Community Member

Entrapment of freelancers

I came through more than 1 posts where I was asked to connect with the potential client outside Upwork and after seeing the amount offere I had to give it a try. I was offered copying job but to receive work of 2000 dollars I would have to pay 50 dollars that would be refunded after completion of work. After convincing them that I was unable to pay as I didn't have the money I was offered the job as a favour. I had to convert jpg images into PDF and I was of course able to complete the task before the given time and they approved my work appreciating it and asked me for transfer of money and I opted IBAN transfer. I was sent a slip showing me 2000 dollars transferred to my account. I checked my account and the amount was ne where to be seen. At that point they told me the amount is sent but I would receive in only when my account is linked to their system and I would have to pay 300 dollars that would be refunded immediately with my payment. Of course I knew it was a scam, but the way everything was organised it tempted people to make payments to receive larger amounts...I have attached the slips. I would like to hear if the same thing was faced by anyone else too.

**Edited for Community Guidelines**

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
LuiggiR

Hi Sabiha,

I'm very sorry to hear about your experience. I want to remind you that communicating outside of Upwork before a contract starts is a serious violation of the Upwork Terms of Service, and you should avoid doing that in the future. Additionally, clients should never ask a freelancer for any payment for a job,

Please, check out this course for tips on staying safe and protected while working on Upwork. Also, please check this article for more information on using the flag option to report inappropriate content.
~ Luiggi
Upwork

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
LuiggiR

Hi Sabiha,

I'm very sorry to hear about your experience. I want to remind you that communicating outside of Upwork before a contract starts is a serious violation of the Upwork Terms of Service, and you should avoid doing that in the future. Additionally, clients should never ask a freelancer for any payment for a job,

Please, check out this course for tips on staying safe and protected while working on Upwork. Also, please check this article for more information on using the flag option to report inappropriate content.
~ Luiggi
Upwork

Hi,

Thank you for your suggestions. I already flagged some projects but as I was desperate to start earning I took it as a chance. But I do understand that asking for money to give work is a red flag, so Alhamdolillah I was safe but I am sure, the way these people have organised everything is dangerous and specially when people desperately need earnings they are forced to believe them and get trapped. If you could scrutinize all posts and prevent the ones with other links from publishing as it also causes loss of our precious contacts

Thank you

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths