🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » Re: Get Profile Feedback from Experienced Fre...
Page options
Andrea G Community Manager

Get Profile Feedback from Experienced Freelancers on Upwork

Getting started on Upwork can take a lot of work and focus. To help make this process a little easier, we’ve created this post where you can request feedback on your profile. The community is full of experienced Upwork freelancers who are passionate about helping others. These users will review your profile and provide feedback based on their experience.

If you’re interested in requesting help, make sure your profile visibility is not set to “Private” and then reply below. 

We’re excited to see how Community members can continue to help each other to grow!

Note: A previous version of this post was closed as the number of responses made it difficult to read and navigate. If you had not received a response yet to a request you made, please post again in this thread.

Thanks,
~Andrea
ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Andrea G Community Manager

Hi all,

This thread has been closed from further replies due to its size. We appreciate your participation in the Community and welcome you to continue the conversation on this new thread.

Thank you!

~Andrea

View solution in original post

999 REPLIES 999
Kris N Community Member

Thank you for your very detailed response.  I really appreciate it.  

I'm very surprised to see the hourly rate is so much more than I expected.  I will make that adjustment.  I will also upload several writing samples for client reviews.  

Thank you, again, for your help.  I really appreciate it.

Kris

Anthony H Community Member

Kris,

My first observation, Kris, is that you served as a para-legal for several years and now you're looking for work as a general content writer. Am I wrong or doesn't writing for lawyers pay about 150 times what a content writer gets? 

That said, no, I don't know the market for legal writing. There may be 100 jobs for law-savvy writers posted a week on Upwork or 1,000 or anything in between. The content writing market is endless. But why would you settle for that? 

My next observation is that you should be more specific. When you say things like you have experience with 35 cultures, name a few of them. When you say you have experience with a broad range of editors, name a few of the publications. Details makes your story stand out. All the vagaries in your write up are calling for explicit examples to give them more strength.

In addition, you've posted a link or a URL for your website for writing samples. That's well and good, but Upwork has a place at the bottom of your profile to post writing samples. You should use it. You can certainly point out your website if you like, but there are 1.5 million writers on Upwork (honest, Google said so) and if your competion is just directing clients to the bottom of the page, they are making it easy for clients to view writing samples and you're making it just a touch more difficult. Your a mouse-click away from rejection around here, so don't give people an excuse to turn away. Don't make them go on a wild goose chase for your writing samples when you could just put it right in their laps.

Kris N Community Member

Thank you for your very detailed response. 

In response to your question about legal writing.  I was a paralegal and secretary.  Although I did some research and writing on my own, it was not under my own name.  And I would rather not be responsible for legal opinions.

However, it does speak to my ability to edit and proofread as I frequently corrected grammar, syntax, format and those types of issues.  I want the customer to know I am reliable, but I don't want to be the person researching legal matters.  Is it better to remove that or maybe state that more specifically?  Something about my experience as a legal assistant qualifies me for detailed editing and proofreading?  

I will also add samples to my portfolio.  I wasn't sure if that was overkill.  Your response lets me know it's a good idea.

Thank you, again.  I really appreciate your help.  

Kris 

MD Jahirul I Community Member

Hi theree,

I'm new to Upwork and haven't had success in getting a job yet. I'm unsure if it's due to my profile or my proposal approach. Could you please review my profile and provide feedback on areas for improvement?

Thank you!

Shagor M Community Member

Hi Jahirul,

There's no rule for profile improvement. Be creative and straightforward. Obviously, your profile arrangement plays a role here. But the most significant thing is your cover letter. Try to be direct and only write the necessary details. There's literally tons of guidelines online.

For profile improvemrnt, I suggest you to visit top freelancers in your industry. Don't copy-paste. Visit their profile and see their approaches. You are free to follow any creative process.

Wishing you good luck in all your future endeavors!

Best regards,

Shagor M

Clark S Community Member

MD Jahirul,

I reviewed your profile and everything looks good. The only suggestion I have is to add short job descriptions for each job in your employment history.

Just keep applying for jobs that match your qualifications by writing great cover letters. Write a custom cover letter based on the client's job: 1) acknowledge the job you are applying for; 2) highlight your qualifications; 3) explain how you will solve their problem; and finally, 4) request an Upwork Zoom call to discuss their project. For more tips on cover letters, read through Upwork's best practices on How To Write a Cover Letter.

Ammar J Community Member

Hello Upwork Community,

Can you spare a few minutes to give me feedback on my freelance profile? As a freelancer, I know the importance of having a great profile, and I'm looking for ways to make mine even better. Any suggestions or comments are welcome.

Thank you for your time and support.

Best regards,

Ammar J

Clark S Community Member

Ammar,

Welcome to Upwork.

I reviewed your profile and it looks good. I have only a few suggestions to help improve things:

Title: Remove the "s" from your title: Visual Design Expert or Expert Visual Designer

Overview/Summary: There is good information in your summary, but it focuses on you, and the summary should be more client-focused. to focus on the client's needs. While clients expect to read about your skills and qualifications, what they really want to know is how your skills/qualifications will benefit them. If I revised your summary to focus more on prospective clients, I would write it this way:

Looking for a visual design expert to take your business to the next level? I'm a multidisciplinary Visual Designer with over 8 years of experience in the design industry and more than 3 years of experience in creative/design leadership roles. I've built award-winning teams and been fortunate to work with many exceptionally talented agencies and clients. I can build your creative projects and bring your visions to reality by designing vibrant, captivating graphics that exceed your expectations.

While I have a personal focus on brand creation and the integration of brand with experience, I also have an extensive and broad background in designing, from print to digital advertising and UI/UX for web and mobile applications. To me, it's all about creating the best work possible, and my clients have been 100% satisfied with my work because I pride myself on attention to detail, customer service and creative, exceptional design.

➔➔ What design services do I provide?

✶ Logo Design

UI/UX Design (Web and Mobile)
✶ Brand Identity Design
✶ Social Media Content Design
✶ Digital Ad Campaigns

➔➔ What processes do I use to help you?

✔ Discovery Sessions

✔ Creative Design Project Strategy Session(s)

✔ Defined Agreement

Let’s work together to bring your ideas to a reality! I'm available to meet here on an Upwork Zoom call to review your project.

Employment History: Add short job descriptions for each job in your employment history.

After you make these updates, start applying for jobs that match your qualifications by writing great cover letters. Write a custom cover letter based on the client's job:

1) Acknowledge the job you are applying for

2) Highlight your qualifications

3) Explain how you will meet their design requirements and/or solve their problem

4) Request an Upwork Zoom call to discuss their project.

Good luck!

Farayha Zaheer A Community Member

Hi there,                                                                                                 

As a newbie, I have not yet had much success in securing projects, and want to know how to optimize my profile and proposals to increase my chances of landing projects. I am eager to learn from those who have found success on Upwork and would greatly appreciate any guidance you can provide.

Clark S Community Member

Hi Farayha Zaheer,

Welcome to Upwork! Winning jobs can be a challenge when you are new.

Your profile is good, but let's go through a few things to hopefully make it better:

Hourly Rate: I think your rate is too low. Even if you have never had a paid job as a data analyst or software developer, your education and experience with Python, R, SQL, data analytics, and deep learning are enough to support a higher rate. Most Pakistani data analysts with 2 to 4 years of Python, Django, R, etc. experience are between $20/hr. - $40/hr. If you have no work experience, I think your rate should be at least $15/hr.

Overview/Summary: Your summary is good, but it should focus more on helping clients solve their problems. While clients expect to read about your skills and qualifications, what they really want to know is how your skills/qualifications will benefit them. Your first two paragraphs are important because clients may not read the entire summary and you want to make an impact early on.

Also, you should remove the greeting in the first sentence because your name is already visible to clients. I would revise your summary to focus more on the client by saying something like:

I'm a highly skilled and enthusiastic Data Analyst with experience working on various university projects that involve programming in Python, R, SQL, and deep learning techniques. I have a a Bachelor's degree in Computer Science and I have explored other fields like web scraping and web harvesting, which enables me to extract valuable data from various sources to help clients improve their data collection.

My passion for data analysis has driven me to constantly improve my skills, and I am dedicated to helping clients improve their business management processes by assessing the effectiveness of their workflows and analyzing the outcomes of their business processes.

I possess strong problem-solving skills, an analytical mindset, and excellent attention to detail. I am adept at data preprocessing, data visualization, and machine learning algorithms, which allow me to extract meaningful insights and make data-driven decisions.

I am committed to collaborating with teams to mine data for insights that enhance people's lives and propel business growth. If you are looking for a data analyst who is passionate about using data to drive success, please feel free to contact me. I am excited to work with you!

Portfolio: I think you should add more items to your portfolio.

After you make these minor updates, keep applying for jobs that match your qualifications by writing great cover letters. Write a custom cover letter based on the client's job: 1) acknowledge the job you are applying for; 2) highlight your qualifications; 3) explain how you will solve their problem; and finally, 4) request an Upwork Zoom call to discuss their project.

Good luck!

Shahsawar K Community Member

Hi this is the link to my profile: https://www.upwork.com/freelancers/~0192fdfd22554d1088  , 

I am trying to optimize my profile every week and yet it is getting 0 views! can someone help me optimize it! 

Thank you

Clark S Community Member

Shahsawar,

It has been difficult for many freelancers to get profile views, so you are not alone. Here are a few suggestions to optimize your profile:

Title: Your main profile title should be: Front-End Web Developer or Front-End Web Developer (React.js). Your specialized profile is almost identical to your main profile, so it may not do much to help.

Overview/Summary: The first few sentences in your summary are important and you want to use that space to make an impact. There is no need to introduce yourself or greet the client here; the client sees your name on your profile and the greeting wastes space. In your main profile, you should remove the first paragraph and start your summary with: "As a Frontend Developer, my primary focus is..." and go from there. In your specialized profile, you should remove the greeting: "Dear potential clients," and go from there.

Portfolio: You should add more items to your portfolio. Clients will expect to see more visuals from a front-end developer. I think you should include three or four more items that showcase your skills.

Employment History: For each job in your employment history, capitalize the first letter in each job title and write a short job description for them.

After that, keep applying to jobs by writing great cover letters. Always create a custom cover letter based on the client's specific job requirements. Focus on the client's needs and requirements; highlight your qualifications; and tell the client how you will meet their needs.

Good luck!

Salmanul F Community Member

hi andrea you're is very great full and so many people are likes congratulations andrea

Clark S Community Member

Hi Salmanul,

Yes, Andrea is great, but this topic is about getting help with your profile.

Since you are new to Upwork, make sure your profile is 100% complete before applying to jobs. At a minimum, you should read through the following:

You should also click the Academy link at the top of the screen and dive into the Courses and Learning Paths. Once you learn more about the Upwork platform, things will be much clearer.

Freddy L Community Member

Hi Andrea it's a pleasure. Greetings to all in the same way.
I am seeking to advance through this platform and it would be very timely and very welcome to receive advice and support from professionals who already have experience. I would like you to evaluate my profile and help me to improve it. Thank you. ☺

Clark S Community Member

Freddy,

I reviewed your profile. You have good content in your overview/summary, but I think you should add some spacing to make it easier for clients to read. You provide some focus on the client, and that is good. To add more substance and spacing, you could revise your summary this way:

Focused and gifted Data Analyst with experience providing accounting data entry and meeting my client’s deadlines. I offer both English and Spanish data research and data entry support by helping clients with dictations and written documents and converting them into typed data.

I specialize in writing, typing, proofreading, quality assurance, and designing templates using Microsoft Word/Excel/PowerPoint/ and others. I have been highly successful due to my reliability, professionalism, and dedication to precision.

➔ What services do I provide to my clients?

Data research, analysis, and collection tasks

✎ Support for any type of data entry task

✎ Transcription tasks
✎ Guaranteed 100% data input-output accuracy
✎ Microsoft Office expertise (Word, Excel and performing data table cleaning, VLookUps, indexing, etc.)

➔ How does this benefit you?

✦ Intuitive and quick to learn new applications
✦ Detecting errors in data early with proofreading

✦ Quality assurance (I have worked as a Quality Analyst to evaluate compliance of parameters in customer service lines)
✦ Following your defined techniques and procedures for your data programs
✦ Learning any custom or proprietary processes to help meet your specific, unique needs

I want to help contribute to your company's success! I’m available for a video call through Upwork Zoom to discuss your projects and tasks.

Portfolio: You should add more items to your portfolio. Clients will expect to see more examples of your data analysis skills.

Anthony H Community Member

Hello Moderators,

Is there any way to revisit the recently deleted or dissapeared "Get Profile Feedbackl ..." thread?

There was an artist whose profile I reviewed and I don't recall his name, but I was hoping to order a few of his tee-shirts.

Any hope of finding this guy?

I'll look for an answer here, but you can also send a private note, so I'll be sure to see your answer.

Thanks.

Joanne P Moderator

Hi Anthony,

You might want to visit the following threads here and here. I hope this helps!

~ Joanne
Upwork
Henry Naanlong D Community Member

Hello Joanne,

I am new to upwork and I want you to view my profile and give me feedback. Thank you.

Clark S Community Member

Hello Henry,

Andrea is an Upwork Moderator. The moderators provide valuable information, support for freelancers, and moderate the Forums, but they do not provide profile reviews.

I reviewed your profile and looks like you are just getting started. Correct the spelling in your title: Data Entry/Transcriber. You also need to add more skill categories relevant to data entry and data analyis to your list of skills.

Since you are new to Upwork, make sure your profile is 100% complete before applying to jobs. At a minimum, you should read through the following:

You should also click the Academy link at the top of the screen and dive into the Courses and Learning Paths. Once you learn more about the Upwork platform, things will be much clearer.

Abdulbasit I Community Member

Hi, my name is Abdulbasit Idris Ali, I'm from Nigeria, could you please take a peek at my profile and see what needs to be fixed? I've been around for a while now but I couldn't get my first job yet. 
Thank you.

Clark S Community Member

Hi Abdulbasit,

Not getting your first job may not be related to your profile; rather, it could be your proposal/cover letter and their impact.

Your profile is set to Private. You must set your profile to Public so we can see it.

Isaac B Community Member

Hi everyone, I'm new to upwork. It's hard to profile invites and even profile views. I feel some things need to be fixed, Please someone should help me out. 

Profile link: https://www.upwork.com/freelancers/~018d4030b0eadf9096

Thanks

Clark S Community Member

Hi Isaac,

Welcome to Upwork.

I reviewed your profile and there is absolutely nothing wrong with it! Your profile is 100% complete; it looks good; and your overview/summary sounds good.

Don't be too discouraged with the lack of profile views and invites; this is happening to many freelancers these days. Even the Top-Rated and Top-Rated Plus freelancers are finding it difficult to get profile views and responses to their proposals.

Just keep applying for jobs that match your qualifications/skills by writing great cover letters. Write a custom cover letter based on the client's job:

1) Acknowledge the job you are applying for

2) Highlight your qualifications

3) Explain how you will solve their problem

4) Request an Upwork Zoom call to discuss their project

Good luck!

Kirti S Community Member

hi there ,

I am Kirti.I am brand new to freelancing and trying to make pocket money through freelancing .can you please check my profile and suggest if everything is fine or needed to be changed? i am still unable to land a job

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths