🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » Re: Get Profile Feedback from Experienced Fre...
Page options
Andrea G Community Manager

Get Profile Feedback from Experienced Freelancers on Upwork

Getting started on Upwork can take a lot of work and focus. To help make this process a little easier, we’ve created this post where you can request feedback on your profile. The community is full of experienced Upwork freelancers who are passionate about helping others. These users will review your profile and provide feedback based on their experience.

If you’re interested in requesting help, make sure your profile visibility is not set to “Private” and then reply below. 

We’re excited to see how Community members can continue to help each other to grow!

Note: A previous version of this post was closed as the number of responses made it difficult to read and navigate. If you had not received a response yet to a request you made, please post again in this thread.

~Andrea
ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Andrea G Community Manager

Hi all,

This thread has been closed from further replies due to its size. We appreciate your participation in the Community and welcome you to continue the conversation on this new thread.

Thank you!

~Andrea

View solution in original post

7,804 REPLIES 7,804
Masu M Community Member

Kindly I need feedback on my profile 

Ajarat A Community Member

Hello Masu

I have carefully viewed your profile and I see you don't have a standard profile

You have to get your specialized profile done 

Then make your profile self explanatory 

add more skills of what you are offering and regularly update the skills

Add portfolio 

Create project catalogue, the maximum you can create is 20 so put in more effort

Add certificates

Add you work experience and other experience and regular send proposal 

Kindly check my profile and give me your review

https://www.upwork.com/freelancers/~0124772f1a5b6edd42

Ajarat

Reed J Community Member

Hello everybody, feedback on my profile would be very much appreciated! 

Clark S Community Member

Hello Reed,

I like the approach in your profile. Your overview/summary is well-written and informative. Your consultation, portfolio, skills, project catalog, certfications, and b all look great.

The only potential issue I see is the length of your summary. Clients rarely read long summaries and typically only look through the first three or four paragraphs. However, your first three paragraphs are great and include information contents want to hear. This might entice them to continue reading. The good thing is, everything after the first three paragraphs sounds great too, so I'm reluctant to suggest shortening it. I think it will be fine.

The other areas of your profile look good. I do not see any huge problems or issues that would prevent a client from hiring you.

Good luck!

Christy L Community Member

Hi! I would love some feedback on my profile. Thanks in advance! 

https://www.upwork.com/freelancers/christyoftrees 

Anthony H Community Member

Christy, 

My dog needs some informal evening wear. Can you help?

I'm kdding, but I got such a kick out of your profile, I had to say that.

More seriously, you have a great sense of word use. But I would clearly like to see you turn the style of the second part of your write up back to a narrative style. At some point, you start using bullet points and this disrupts the wonderful flow you established in the beginning. 

The trick is that with a narrative style people have a chance to know you. Once you switch to a resume-type writing style, all that is lost. 

You have a very playful, upbeat style and suddenly that got derailed when you started using bullet points. And change is simple. Change, "-- Highly adaptive ..." to a paragraph that starts with "I"m highly adaptive ..." Simple as that.

Also, you need a new opening. This is important.

When you start with "I'm a right - brain thinker ..." or however that goes, you will lose some people right away. That will appeal to some, certainly; it's a clever gambit. But it will lose some people as well. So you can't afford to lose people in your opening sentence. That's not good enough.

Your opening has to include the word "expert." The reason is simple: If you're an expert, people will want to know what you have to say. You can even be indulgent -- after all, you're an expert. If you're not an expert, why would people stick around? There are others who are expderts, so if you're not one of them, they are gone.

The standard opening is "I am an expert _____________, who can fix your problems of __________, _________, and _______, so you will benefit in the following way __________________________."

The trick is if you can understand your clients problems -- if you can specifically name their problem -- they will think, "Hey this person understands me." That's the person they will want to hire.

So, be highly adaptive and find a sentence or two that covers that ground. Then go right into "I'm a right-brained thinker and a left-brained doer," or whatever that was. I really liked that bit, but it isn't the openning you want.

Good luck. Now, about that evening wear for Woofy ...

Christy L Community Member

Amazing! Thank you so much for your tips and direction. I admit, I do love the narrative style of describing my past work, but after getting so much indirect feedback on how resumes and such are "supposed" to be or how they should be more to the point I just figured the bulletholes in my older work somehow made sense. I should have stuck to my guns!

I will definitely work on these points right now and would welcome a follow up if possible.

But so tell me more about Woofy...are they more Givenchy or Valentino? 😜

Michelle W Community Member

Could you review my profile please

Thanks

Michelle  

profile link https://www.upwork.com/freelancers/~013a203c36b660c9de?s=1017484851352698991

Michelle,

On the Internet, nobody knows you from Adam. So you have to back up the claims you make with some kind of proof. Write about past jobs you've done and put in as many specific details as possible so you sound credible. 

It would also help because your claims, as it is, are a bit vague. People want to know specifically what they are spending their money on and saying I can pretty much do anything is way too vague to really entice clients. Just add some more details; keep it friendly and confident and that will help.

Hajweria M Community Member

Hi Plz check my profile 

Ehesan Q Community Member

Yes, I visited.

Hajweria,

On Upwork, most people are hired because they are experts. As a writer, your short profile has syntax errors that would not be acceptable to most publishers. Then, again, you don't get work here by being cheap. You get work by being a professional who can claim to be an expert. I don't want to be disccouraging, but you need a letter-perfect profile to prove you can write well.

Amoujd D Community Member

thanks for having a look on my profile ,a new one here need a feedback will be  big help.

thanks in advance 

Hello Amoujd

I have carefully viewed your profile and I see you don't have a standard profile

You have to get your specialized profile done 

Then make your profile self explanatory 

add more skills of what you are offering and regularly update the skills

Add portfolio 

Create project catalogue, the maximum you can create is 20 so put in more effort

Add certificates

Add you work experience and other experience and regular send proposal 

Kindly check my profile and give me your review

Ajarat

Amoujd D Community Member

thank you so much , i needed this .this is my first time doing something like this, i am exciting and really looking forward of what i can do here.

Again thank you.

It's nothing Amoujd, all freelancer are a helping hand to eachother

Kindly review my profile and give me your feedback

Hello, I'm Ajarat by name and expert in Crowdfunding l, I want you guys to help me, It's been a while have been on Upwork but have not gotten my first job Please kindly review my profile and give me your feedback

Ajarat

Ajarat,

You have to prove you're an expert, not just claim to be one. You have to write about the previous jobs you've done and talk about why they were a success. What other campaigns have you done? How much was raised? Did they exceed their targets? 

Also your claims are too much. You say at one point you've honed your skills to perfection. When you make glorious claims like that you better be able to back them up. But it also might scare people away to see someone who promises too much. Bring it down to earth. Make your claims more realistic. 

One of the things people hire other people for is because they simply think they will get along with them. If you tone done your rhetoric that might help you seem more appealing. 

Ok I will do as you have told me

But please don't be too harsh, you are always to harsh when talking

Samuel K Community Member

Please have a look at my profile and give me feedback

Clark S Community Member

Samuel,

Your profile is set to Private. You must set your profile to Public so we can see it.

Alvy C Community Member

Hi can I ask a little of your time to check on my profile and give me feedback as I am open for improvements. 

Thank you so much 

Clark S Community Member

Hi Alvy,

Your prorfile does not provide any information to help clients understand what you do and how you can help them. Your title is a bit vague, and clients will not know what a risk consulting associate can do to support them since your overview/summary does not explain it.

You need to do this:

1) Change your profile photo. The picture in your photo should be a close-up image of your head and shoulders that clearly shows your face. Read through Upwork's best practices for How to Choose A Good Profile Picture.

2) Remove the word "and" from your title and capitalize the first letter of each word; this will help your title stand out better: Risk Consulting Associate | Administrative Assistant 

3) Use your summary to tell potential clients about your experience as a risk consulting associate and the services a risk consulting associate provides. Then, talk about how you will use your expertise to help the client meet their goals.

The best way to complete your profile is to go through the following Academy Courses:

Indhumathi R Community Member

Hi,

I'm new to upwork. I haven't recieved any reponses yet. It would be great if I get my profile reviewed .

Thank you!

Clark S Community Member

Hi Indhumathi,

Welcome to Upwork. I looked through your profile and I have a few suggestions to help improve it.

There is good information in your overview/summary, but you lose focus half way through. If you plan to provide services as certified Scrum Master, you should focus on those services, and probably not mention virtual assistance.

Next, do not mention being new to Upwork. Clients really don't care if you're now; rather, clients are looking for freelancers who can get the job done, whether you have been on Upwork for 10 days or 10 years. I would revise your first paragraph to say:

I'm a Certified Scrum Master with experience leading and supporting iterative teams in the delivery of high-quality solutions for project and non-project work. I can implement Agile principles in your software development or for any other needs. I can certainly do the required Scrum Master responsibilities, including:

(...)

Add a portfolio to show samples of your work. The portfolio is a chance to make a positive first impression on potential clients. If you don’t have relevant examples to add to your portfolio, you can create items that demonstrate your skills.

I think the other areas of your profile look good.

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths