🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » Re: Get Profile Feedback from Experienced Fre...
Page options
Andrea G Community Manager

Get Profile Feedback from Experienced Freelancers on Upwork

Getting started on Upwork can take a lot of work and focus. To help make this process a little easier, we’ve created this post where you can request feedback on your profile. The community is full of experienced Upwork freelancers who are passionate about helping others. These users will review your profile and provide feedback based on their experience.

If you’re interested in requesting help, make sure your profile visibility is not set to “Private” and then reply below. 

We’re excited to see how Community members can continue to help each other to grow!

Note: A previous version of this post was closed as the number of responses made it difficult to read and navigate. If you had not received a response yet to a request you made, please post again in this thread.

~Andrea
ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Andrea G Community Manager

Hi all,

This thread has been closed from further replies due to its size. We appreciate your participation in the Community and welcome you to continue the conversation on this new thread.

Thank you!

~Andrea

View solution in original post

7,804 REPLIES 7,804
Amal Y Community Member

Hello,

Can you please take a look at my profile and give me your feedback.

Thanks.

Clark S Community Member

Hello Amal,

To make your profile more appealing to clients, there are things you should remove and things you should add.

Overview/Summary: Remove the first sentence: "Hello everyone, my name is Amal and I'm excited to introduce myself as a newbie in the world of freelancing.Here's way you should remove it: When clients seach for freelancers, they will see only the first two sentences of your summary. This means you have very little space to grab their attention, and you want clients to see your services in first two sentences--not a greeting and not your name. Clients can already see your name on your profile.

Administrative assistance (virtual assistance) is probably the most competitive skill area on Upwork; there are literally hundreds of thousands of virtual assistants here, so your summary has to convince clients to hire you. To do that, you must use the first two sentences (and the rest of your summary) to tell clients what you can do and how you will help them.

Also, don't talk about your abilty to learn or your success with learning; clients are not here to teach you anything. Clients expect freelancers to have the skills and qualifications to help them. So, your summary should talk about how you can help them and get straight to the point:

Highly skilled Administrative Assistant who helps businesses meet their aggressive deadlines by expertly preparing and managing data, information, and documentation. I specialize in data entry and data research using Microsoft Excel and other tools. I have successfully acquired two Microsoft Excel certificates--both of which allow me to be a great asset to you and your business.

The key to my success has been to quickly understand my client's administrative needs, and then use my skills to perform accurate data entry; create formulas and format data in Excel; create Excel pivot tables to calculate, summarize, and analyze data; and use Excel Power Query to import large volumes of external data, and then shape that data to inform better business decisions.

I am well-organized and resourceful, and have a genuine interest in helping my clients improve their administrative functions. I have been highly successful due to my reliability and dedication, and I use a combination of research and analytics to provide you with great administrative services.

Ready to get started? Let's discuss your needs and how I can help.

You don't have to use the exact words I used, but your summary should be similar to this. Tell clients exactly what you can do and how you will use those services to help them.

Portfolio: Add a portfolio to show samples of previous work or to demonstrate your skills. The portfolio is a chance to make a positive first impression on potential clients. If you don’t have relevant examples to add to your portfolio, you can create items that demonstrate your skills.

Skills: Add more skill categories to your skills list, but only if those skill categories are related to your administrative support work. It is important to keep your skills list updated with relevant skills categories so that Upwork can match you with relevant jobs, and so your profile will appear when clients search for your skills.

On another note, you might want to consider changing your title to something more specific to Microsoft Excel support. Most clients looking for administrative assistants will expect you to perform scheduling/calendar management, make travel arrangements, communicate by phone/email/chat with customers, keep meeting minutes, etc. You didn't mention any of those in your summary, so if you don't provide those services, you might want to change your title to something other than "Administrative Assistant."

Neetika K Community Member

Hello experts,

Could you please review my profile and let me know what are the points of improvement?

Clark S Community Member

Hello Neetika,

The first thing I noticed about your profile is your overview/summary; it is written from a third-person point of view and it should be written from your point of view.

Neetika Kataria  I'm an accomplished product management expert with over 10 years of experience in the field. She I have a proven track record of successfully launching new products, driving revenue growth, and developing and executing effective product strategies. Neetika I'm a detail-oriented professional with excellent communication skills and a keen eye for market trends.

I think you should add one or two more items to your portfolio. The portfolio is a chance to make a positive first impression on potential clients and clients might expect one or two more samples from a product manager.

Add short job descriptions to each job in your employment history. This is especially important when the jobs are highly relevant to the services you provide on Upwork.

You should also consider adding a project catalog. The project catalog allows you to setup a pre-packaged service that clients can buy without you sending a proposal. Due to higher than usual requests for project catalogs, reviews and approvals are taking a minimum of 10 business days. Read Get Started With Project Catalog for more information.

Neetika K Community Member

Thanks 

Mansi T Community Member

Please have a look at my profile and let me know if anyone is willing to give me the best feedback.

Here is my profile link - https://www.upwork.com/freelancers/mansit6

Clark S Community Member

Mansi,

Most clients will read your profile title and have an idea of what your services are. However, your profile overview/summary does not have enough information to convince clients to hire you. To make your profile more appealing to clients, provide more details about your services.

Clients come to Upwork with specific needs and they look for freelancers who can get results. Use your summary to give specific examples of what you will do to help clients (e.g., "provide detailed SEO keywords research and analysis,"  "develop a link building strategy based on your unique needs," "increase organic (non-paid) traffic to your website," etc.)

Also, talk about your timeliness, attention to SEO trends, and ability to work quickly. Then, mention that you respect deadlines, can work independently or with their existing teams, and can help maintain quality standards. Remember--you are competing with thousands of SEO/SEM professionals, so clients need several reasons to choose you.

Add short job descriptions to each job in your employment history. This is especially important when the jobs are highly relevant to the SEO services you provide on Upwork.

Your portfolio and skills list look good.

Sai Usha Kiran K Community Member

Hello,

I created an oDesk account twelve years ago, but I've never had the chance to utilize the platform. Over the years, I've gained valuable experience working as a full-time employee for various tech companies. Now, I'm seeking to transition into freelancing and leverage my expertise to serve a wider range of clients.

Despite my efforts to optimize my profile, I haven't been successful in attracting potential clients. I would be immensely grateful for a thorough review of my profile, accompanied by constructive feedback. I strongly believe that an objective evaluation would be invaluable in enhancing my profile's visibility and effectiveness.

Furthermore, I'm concerned that my inactive account history might be hindering my chances of securing freelance opportunities. I'm open to suggestions on how to address this potential drawback and effectively demonstrate my capabilities to prospective clients.

Thank you for your time and consideration. I eagerly anticipate your valuable feedback.

Thanks and Regards,

Sai Usha Kiran K.

Clark S Community Member

Sai Usha Kiran,

I looked through your profile and I think everything looks good. I don't see anything that could be improved significantly. Your summary is informative and your portfolio looks good. Also, your skill categories are relevant, you have a great testimonial, quality certifications listed, and a great employment history.

When a freelancer account is inactive for a while, Upwork changes it from public to private, which means the profile won't be shown in search results when clients search. However, when your profile is public, there should be no restrictions. I just searched for your profile and confirmed that it does show up publicly.

There is nothing wrong with your profile. I believe--based on the quality of your profile--that you write good cover letters in your proposals, so you are probably doing all you can do.

Unfortunately, Upwork is a numbers game more than a skills game; there are so many freelancers here, and getting attention can be a huge challenge. Hopefully, your persistence pays off and you win some jobs soon.

Good luck!

Sai Usha Kiran K Community Member

Thank you for your feedback! I appreciate you taking out time to review my profile.

Dipankar B Community Member

Please have a look at my profile and feel free to provide feedbacks.

https://www.upwork.com/freelancers/~01f692b701d5fc9766

Usman K Community Member

Hi Dipankar
Please share your profile link in the message as it will be easier for the community members.
Thanks.

Weronika J Community Member

Hi Upwork community 🙂

I'd love it if anyone could take a look at my profile and give me some ideas for improvement. Thanks!

Here's my profile link:

https://www.upwork.com/freelancers/~013aee9695423094eb

Clark S Community Member

Hi Weronika,

Very nice profile.

I looked through each section of your profile and I don't see much to improve. Your overview/summary is well-written and informative; your portfolio, skills categories, and project catalog look great; your employment history looks good; and you have great public feedback in your Upwork work history.

I just performed a search for "academic writer" and chose Poland as the location. You appeared first in search results, which means your profile is quite visible.

If I would change anything, it would probably be your hourly rate. For an academic writer with a PhD in Molecular Biology, I think your rate should be a little higher. However, I can understand keeping it at $25.00/hr.

Weronika J Community Member

Thank you for your feedback! I appreciate that you took your time to visit my profile, and I will consider your remark about my hourly rate. Warm regards 🙂

Mohammed Ali H Community Member

Hi everyone,

I've just completed a job on Upwork about a month and a half ago, and I've heard crickets since then. Can you guys take a look at my profile and see what I'm doing wrong

https://www.upwork.com/freelancers/~016eee912bbea8406a

Thanks, 

Ali

Clark S Community Member

Mohammed Ali,

It's unlikely that you are doing something wrong in your profile. Competition is extremely high on Upwork, so winning new jobs can be a challenge. It's an even bigger challenge if your profile is hidden--it means that clients can't see you in searches, which also means they can't invite you to jobs.

Your profile is set to Private. You must set your profile to Public if you want other freelancers to see it.

Mueez Ur R Community Member

Please have a look on my profile as well. Share feedback if any and recommed me for work if you can.

https://www.upwork.com/freelancers/mueezurr

Thanks 

Mueez Ur Rehman

Clark S Community Member

Mueez Ur,

I looked through your profile and overall, I think it looks fine. However, I would revise the first part of your overview/summary in three ways:

1) Change all capitalized words in first sentence to sentence-case (regular sentence).

2) Remove most of the emojis at the beginning of your summary and use sentences.

3) Change some of the items under "My Past Work" into services you can provide to clients.

Here is what I mean:

Are your looking for a full stack web developer with experience in Wordpress, Shopify and e-commerce solutions? I design and develop fast-loading WordPress sites including online stores and e-commerce solutions, Shopify integration, custom plugins, theme customization, and more.

I have built custom web applications tailored for the healthcare sector and developed a content management system. I have also successfully created over 30 unique websites using different web tools, with a strong emphasis on WordPress.

Here's what I can offer:

(...)

The reason you want to focus on the first part of your summary is because only the first two sentences of your summary are shown to clients when they search for freelancers. This means you have very little space to grab their attention, and you want clients to see their goals (your services) in that small space. You don't want to use all caps (some clients see this as shouting) and you don't want to fill those first two sentences with emojis.

Your portfolio, skill categories, project catalog, consultations, certifications, and employment history look good.

Sara T Community Member

:glowing_star: Hello Upwork Community! :glowing_star:

My name is Sara Thompson, a business consultant specializing in driving growth and sustainability through process optimization, sales, and training program development. Today, I'm reaching out to this incredible community for two main reasons: to seek your valuable feedback and to propose an exciting collaborative opportunity.

Feedback on My Profile & Proposals Firstly, I'd love to get your thoughts on my Upwork profile. Any insights, tips, or constructive criticism you can offer would be immensely helpful. I’m also curious about your experiences with proposal visibility and engagement. I've noticed a vary low review rate of my proposals, with about a 50% response rate once viewed. Does this resonate with your experiences? Any strategies you've found effective would be greatly appreciated!

Building a Freelance Support Network More importantly, I believe in the power of collaboration and support within the freelance community. I'm trying to create a network of Upwork professionals where we can:

• Share experiences and best practices
  • Discuss challenges and celebrate successes
  • Exchange referrals and project opportunities
  • Host weekly virtual meet-ups to discuss our projects, growth struggles, and goals
  • Uplift and motivate each other in our freelance journeys

This network isn't just about growing our individual businesses – it's about creating a space where we can learn from each other, provide support, and build lasting professional relationships. Does anyone have any tips on how it is best to reach out to other individuals on Upwork, and if anyone is really actually doing this?

Anthony H Community Member

Sara,

OK, you've been on this site for three minutes -- well, a week or so. Welcome aboard. 

Your profile is very impressive, so take all my nasty comments with a grain of salt. 

In the nit-picking department, I cringed at the word "knack," because it sounds less than wholly professional. It seemed a bit casual for a business exexutive.

Hiring on Upwork is all about results. You want to guarantee as much as you can without over-promising. I was looking for sentences like, "My previous clients saw profits rise 12 and 15 percent." Can you verify anythig in that manner? Or "My ability to streamline operations will lower production costs 5 percent." Or "have been known to lower production costs by X amount." Again, no lying allowed, but you're still dealing with clients from miles away. They want to know what they'll get for their money.

You could also go into more details about your background. Where did you work? What fancy job titles have you had. Details help your credibility.

I also yearn for specifics when you say things like "I craft a business plan." The word I trip over is "craft." Can you give us a step-by-step summary of how you do that? "I review your financial statements, survey your competition and write a report that will outline a strategy for that put you in reach of obtainable goals." Maybe you plan to do this later in the game, like in your proposal letters, but people like to know what they are paying for. 

Also in the nit-picking department, it's not recommended you put your last name on your profile. 

Honestly, 99.999 percent of the profiles I've reviewed (hundreds) do not come up to your level. So, just let it sit for a couple of months and do some tinkering later if you feel the need. Just remember: Establish your expertise, be friendly and confident. That can be done many ways.

Sara T Community Member

Thank you Anthony! This is extermely helpful and I will take all of this and make some changes! I really appricte your time and feedback on my page. I know your time is valuble and I am thankful you spent that time helping me with my business. If you are interested in joining my network so we can build a kick ass team to help everyone's buiness grow. Lets chat! 

Anthony H Community Member

kkkk

Damon R Community Member

Clark S Community Member

Damon,

The first thing I noticed about your profile is the beginning of your overview/summary, and the fact that you never tell potential clients about your services. The first two paragraphs are well-written, but they talk about your skills and expertise and fail to mention your services.

Here's the thing about profile summaries: When clients search for freelancers, only the first two sentences of your summary are shown -- (approximately 215-250 characters, including spaces). This means you have very little space to grab their attention, and you want clients to see their goals (your services) in those first two sentences.

Having marketing and business expertise is great and you want to mention it, but clients come to Upwork with specific needs and look for freelancers who can meet those needs. If clients don't see your services (their goals) early in your summary, most will ignore your profile and never click on it.

Your third paragraph is where I suggest your summary should start. When you start, change the list of expertise into services you can provide to potential clients. For example:

I'm an expert Marketing Consultant with two decades of experience supporting a wide array of organizations, projects, and engagements. I help businesses with strategic planning, development consulting, business process enhancement, financial analysis, crafting business plans, coaching, leveraging internet technology, board recruitment, board development, resource management, change management, and business expansion.

(Then, you go into those nice details about your background.)

As a consulting leader and thriving entrepreneur, my journey has taken me through a diverse range of industries. I've spearheaded strategic initiatives and fostered professional growth and community service endeavors that have left a positive mark on our surroundings.

I take pride in my track record of providing innovative solutions to client challenges, and I'm recognized for my collaborative approach, whether as a team leader, team player, or individual contributor.

(...)

Add a portfolio to show samples of previous work or to demonstrate your skills. The portfolio is a chance to make a positive first impression on potential clients. If you don’t have relevant examples to add to your portfolio, you can create items that demonstrate your skills.

The other areas of your profile look fine.

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths