🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » Re: Get Profile Feedback from Experienced Fre...
Page options
AndreaG
Community Manager
Community Manager

Get Profile Feedback from Experienced Freelancers on Upwork

Getting started on Upwork can take a lot of work and focus. To help make this process a little easier, we’ve created this post where you can request feedback on your profile. The community is full of experienced Upwork freelancers who are passionate about helping others. These users will review your profile and provide feedback based on their experience.

If you’re interested in requesting help, make sure your profile visibility is not set to “Private” and then reply below. 

We’re excited to see how Community members can continue to help each other to grow!

Note: A previous version of this post was closed as the number of responses made it difficult to read and navigate. If you had not received a response yet to a request you made, please post again in this thread.

~Andrea
Upwork
ACCEPTED SOLUTION
AndreaG
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi all,

This thread has been closed from further replies due to its size. We appreciate your participation in the Community and welcome you to continue the conversation on this new thread.

Thank you!

~Andrea
Upwork

View solution in original post

7,804 REPLIES 7,804
celgins
Community Member

Hello Yuliana Andrea,

You should write your profile in English; you will get a lot more attention this way and getting attention from clients is the first goal for every freelancer on Upwork.

Capitalize the first letter of each word in your title; this will help it stand out: Virtual and Administrative Assistant.

Next, use your summary to tell clients which virtual assistance services you provide. Clients come to Upwork with specific needs and they look for virtual assistants who can meet those needs and get results. Provide specific examples of the virtual assistance services you can provide. For example:

I am a highly motivated and dedicated virtual assistant who can provide administrative support, answer and make phone calls, respond to emails and chat inquiries, manage your customer relationships, schedule meetings and record minutes, make appointments, coordinate business calendars, and manage your social media accounts.

You can modify this to fit your expertise, but you get the idea--tell clients how you can help them and any other value they will get by hiring you. Remember--you are competing with hundreds of thousands (maybe one million) virtual assistants, so clients need several reasons to choose you.

Add a portfolio to show samples of previous work or to demonstrate your skills. The portfolio is a chance to make a positive first impression on potential clients. If you don’t have relevant examples to add to your portfolio, you can create items that demonstrate your skills.

Add more skill categories related to your virtual assistance work. Upwork uses the skill categories in your skills list to match you with relevant jobs, and to help your profile appear in search results when clients search for those skills.

As stated above, you will get more attention if your profile is written in English--this includes the job descriptions in your employment history.

Good luck!

ac2833a6
Community Member

Please have a look at my profile and let me know if anyone is willing to give me the best feedback.

Thank you.

Here is my profile link.

https://www.upwork.com/freelancers/~01149072a3ae14b784

celgins
Community Member

Olapade,

There is a lot of redundancy in your title and spaces are needed to make it easier for clients to read. Here is what I suggest: Etsy Expert | Shops, SEO, Listings, POD

Your overview/summary offers good details about your Etsy experience. You can enhance your summary by removing a few things and adding other things. I highly suggest removing this: "...willing to learn." Why? Because clients are not looking for Etsy consultants who need to learn or are willing to learn anything. They expect you to be the expert who can teach them a few things about Etsy shop ownership, SEO, POD, etc.

Also, highlight any similar Etsy projects you have worked on and your accomplishments. Talk about your ability to solve administrative problems and adapt to changing or new requirements if necessary. This will help assure clients of your ability to work with them to maintain their stores.

Everything else in your profile looks great.

Good luck!

cc1221ee
Community Member

Good day, all.

I am currently working as a teacher for an online company, but I aspire to become an independent teacher. I am seeking honest feedback from freelancers on this platform. Is it feasible to achieve my goal, and have there been any success stories of individuals who have joined Upwork?

Thank you.

I want this job

celgins
Community Member

Yes, it is feasible to achieve your goal. There are thousands of teachers who provide instruction covering ESL, other languages, art, science, math, healthcare, and other subjects. Many of them have found success here, but everybody has their own definition of "success."

If success for an English teacher means earning $10,000, then yes--it happens. If success means interacting with more students while inspiring them and helping learn and grow, then yes--it happens. But no matter how you define success, freelancing is true independence and it takes work.

Your profile makes a great start. Here are a few suggestions that might help improve it:

1) Move your last paragraph ("My curriculum spans sixteen weeks...") to the top after your first paragraph. Why? Because this paragraph is more client-focused and provides valuable information early in your overview/summary. Your current second and third paragraphs offer a nice personal story, but clients are mostly interested in your services, and how you can help them.

2) Add a portfolio to show samples of previous work or to demonstrate your skills. Clients might want to see a short outline of your training approach or a list of sample English lessons The portfolio is a chance to make a positive first impression on potential clients.

3) Be sure to update your skills list with more relevant skill categories. For example, ESL Teaching, English Tutoring, and English are probably relevant to your teaching services. Upwork uses these skill categories to match you with relevant jobs, and to help your profile appear in search results when clients search for those skills.

cc1221ee
Community Member

Thank you. I appreciate it.
c66dde97
Community Member

Please have a look at my profile and let me know if its good enough to succeed in getting any jobs. I will bs a waiting for your feedback thanks.

https://www.upwork.com/freelancers/~012d0323f17b0b4165?mp_source=share

Darlington,

You should look at some writer profiles and read, read, read. See what they do to sell themselves. 

Look for writers with solid earnings and good reviews. Check out the entire profile, top to bottom. What do they say? What do they charge? What do they put in the portfolio section?

Start there.

5560a9c8
Community Member

Yes i need help here is my upwork profile 

https://www.upwork.com/freelancers/~01ae6b0bed538ecb14

celgins
Community Member

Muhammad Usman,

I have a few suggestions that might help improve your profile:

Title: I'm not sure what "Graphic Designer For A+" means, but it seems unrelated to online store management. I recommend removing the graphic design text and only using: Store Manager: Amazon, eBay Shopify and Etsy.

You may want to add a Specialized Profile for any graphic design services you can provide.

Overview/Summary: I hightly suggest removing the first line in your summary: "💥 eBay Store Management Expert 💥" Why? Because clients will see only the first 200-250 characters of your summary when they search for freelancers. This means you have very little space to get their attention and there is no need to waste space repeating words in your title. You want more of your services and skills to appear in the first 200-250 characters.

Employment History: Add short job descriptions to each job in your employment history. A job description is especially important when the job is highly relevant to the services you provide on Upwork.

Project Catalog: You should also consider adding a project catalog. The project catalog allows you to setup a pre-packaged service that clients can buy without you sending a proposal. Due to higher than usual requests for project catalogs, reviews and approvals are taking a minimum of 10 business days. Read Get Started With Project Catalog for more information.

Good luck!

c508c939
Community Member

Hello sir,  can you please assist me on how to find a job in freelance 

Rainard
29d474f8
Community Member

kindly rate my profile AND POINT OUT ANY FLAWS

celgins
Community Member

Syed,

Much of my review is the same as the review provided 30 August 2023. I still recommend updating your profile photo and adding more substance to your overview/summary. Most podcast editors will list the same skills and experience, so clients look for things that set you apart. The information you provide can help them better understand why they should hire you and how it will benefit them.

I think the other sections of your profile look good.

1d540798
Community Member

Hi Community Members,

I'm Rashmita, a newcomer to Upwork eager to showcase my skills and contribute to exciting projects. While I've been actively submitting proposals for relevant jobs, I haven't secured any leads yet. I'm seeking valuable feedback from the community to improve my profile and proposal approach.

My profile is complete and verified, but I'm not receiving the desired profile views or generating leads. Can experienced members offer suggestions on how I can stand out and attract potential clients?

Thank you in advance.

celgins
Community Member

Hi Rashmita,

It sounds defeating, but it's difficult for one person to stand out in a crowd of 15+ million. Competition is high in many niches--including yours (mobile app development). The ratio of freelancers to jobs is crazy high, so it can be a challenge to get profile views and response to your proposals.

I looked through your profile and I think it looks good. Here are a few things I would optimize:

1) The first part of your overview/summary is important. When clients search for freelancers, only the first 200-250 characters of your summary are shown. This means you have very little space (approximately two short sentences) to get their attention. You want this small space to include important words (i.e., your services, skills, and experience). With that, I highly suggest removing ":rocket: Seasoned Mobile App Developer | Full-Stack Expert" since it mostly repeats your title.

2) Add short job descriptions to each job in your employment history. A job description is especially important when the job is highly relevant to the services you provide on Upwork. Similar to the skill categories in your skills list, your title, and summary, Upwork uses keywords in job titles and descriptions to match you with relevant jobs, and to help your profile appear in search results when clients search using those keywords.

3) You should also consider adding a project catalog, which might provide some exposure to clients who actively search projects. The project catalog allows you to setup a pre-packaged service that clients can buy without you sending a proposal. Due to higher than usual requests for project catalogs, reviews and approvals are taking a minimum of 10 business days. Read Get Started With Project Catalog for more information.

Everything else looks good.

Good luck!

9e223bb3
Community Member

Hello, Please have a look at my profile. 

Thank you.

My profile link : https://www.upwork.com/freelancers/~017e3f3074a6e303d3?mp_source=share 

celgins
Community Member

Hello Daouda,

Your profile looks good, but I highly suggest writing your overview/summary in English. You will get much more attention if written in English.

Also, write more about your process for managing a client's architectural design projects, providing technical studies, and how you control and monitor civil engineering projects. Most civil engineers on Upwork will list the same skills and qualifications, but clients will find more value in you if they understand the benefits of working with you.

You are missing very important skill categories in your skills list. You should add Civil Engineering, Drafting, CAD Drafting, and any others related to your work. Upwork uses these skill categories to match you with relevant jobs, and to help your profile appear in search results when clients search for those skills.

Your portfolio and employment history look great.

e2b33d93
Community Member

Hi Andrea,

I hope this message finds you well. I would greatly appreciate it if you could review my profile and provide constructive feedback. I am open to critiques and comments on how I can improve it to attract more clients and get them onboard.

Thank you!

Link to my profile: https://www.upwork.com/freelancers/~0169d8506397e11c20?mp_source=share 

celgins
Community Member

Hi Sultan,

Andrea is an Upwork Moderator. The moderators provide valuable information to freelancers and moderate the forums, but they do not provide profile reviews. Other freelancers offer to review profiles and provide feedback.

I looked through your profile and overall, I think it looks good. I have a few suggestions that might help improve it:

1) You did a good job of tying your love for music to your marketing services. However, I suggest removing the word "musician" from your title. The reason is because your title is viewed as an important skill category and you probably don't want to be tied to jobs for musicians.  If you do, it's great, but you might want to create a Specialized Profile dedicated to any musical services you can provide.

2) The Marketing Expertise section of your summary sounds good, but I think it should go further. Almost every digital marketer or marketing professional uses similar words. In an attemp to distinguish yourself, I recommend giving specific examples of your marketing services. For example:

"I help businesses develop and optimize their marketing campaigns using SEO; social media content creation and audience targeting; brand monitoring; reputation management; and PPC advertising. My goal is to help you drive more traffic, increase conversions, and grow your business."

You don't have to use these exact words, but you get the idea--give specific examples of how you can help clients in an effort to distinguish yourself from the thousands of marketing professionals on Upwork.

3) You should add more marketing skill categories to your skills list. I think Marketing Strategy, B2B Marketing, Marketing Consulting and others will fit. Upwork uses these skill categories to match you with relevant jobs, and to help your profile appear in search results when clients search for those skills.

The other sections of your profile look good.

f862e9ca
Community Member

hi Adrea

celgins
Community Member

Yibarek,

Correct the spelling of softwire and sofetwar in your title and employment history.

Make sure your profile is 100% complete before applying to jobs. The best way to complete your profile is to go through the following Academy Courses and other resources:

8c8ee961
Community Member

Hi!

Please take a look at my profile 🤗 I would appreciate any feedback and suggestions. Thanks!

here's my profile link:

https://www.upwork.com/freelancers/~011f3ab41520b4a36f

celgins
Community Member

Hi Aira May,

I like the first line in your overview/summary, but not what comes after it. You insert several checkmark emojis at the beginning of your summary and this is a bad idea. Why? Because when clients search for freelancers, only the first 200-250 characters of your summary are shown. This means you have very little space to get their attention. You want clients to see their goals (your services) in this space--not emojis and lists.

I suggest starting your summary with a paragraph that mentions your services. For example:

Let’s go streamline your operations and take your productivity to the next level! I can provide administrative office support, answer and make phone calls, respond to emails and chat inquiries, perform light bookkeeping, manage customer relationships, schedule meetings, make appointments, coordinate business calendars, and manage your social media accounts.

You can use different words if you want, but the idea is the same--use the first part of your summary to tell clients how you can help them. You mention many great services, but the list is at the bottom of your summary, and you want clients to see a few services at the top.

Add a portfolio to show samples of previous work or to demonstrate your skills. The portfolio is a chance to make a positive first impression on potential clients. If you don’t have relevant examples to add to your portfolio, you can create items that demonstrate your skills.

Your skills list and employment history look great.

Good luck!

8c8ee961
Community Member

Thanks for this!

cc12a20d
Community Member

Hello there!

I'd love your input on my profile. Any feedback or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

Here's the link to my profile: https://www.upwork.com/freelancers/arpitadas2

celgins
Community Member

Hello Arpita,

I think your profile looks good. Your overview/summary is concise, but offers enough information for clients to understand your services and how you can help them.

Your portfolio, skills and employment history look good too. But I would add a short job description to your project manager job at HNG Pvt. Ltd.

You should also consider adding a project catalog. The project catalog allows you to setup a pre-packaged service that clients can buy without you sending a proposal. Due to higher than usual requests for project catalogs, reviews and approvals are taking a minimum of 10 business days. Read Get Started With Project Catalog for more information.

Good luck!

fahadsi
Community Member

celgins
Community Member

Adeel,

See the review provided below.

bdd26e4e
Community Member

Hi AndreaG. I'm new to Upwork. I help people with their research works: essay writings, assignments, literature reviews, theses and dissertations. I actually have been doing this for over a year now, outside Upwork. Could you please look at my profile and suggest to me any changes or upgrade I could make to it?. 

Anticipating your reply. Thanks

celgins
Community Member

Hi Godson,

Andrea is an Upwork Moderator. The moderators provide valuable information to freelancers and moderate the forums, but they do not provide profile reviews. Other freelancers offer to review profiles and provide feedback.

I looked through your profile and I have a few suggestions:

Title: Capitalize the first letter of each word in your title; this will help it stand out. Also, remove the period at the end of your title: Research Assistant

Overview/Summary: There is good information in you summary, but it does not go far enough to convince clients to hire you. I recommend adding examples of your services and how you help clients. For example:

I am a research assistant. I can assist professors, researchers, or other professionals with their research assignments, literature reviews and dissertations. I have completed many of these works offline and I am sure my skills in critical analysis and research methods can help you.

Most of my previous works supported medical professionals and students of medical professions. They were all elated with my research services and all received wonderful grades. My goal is to conduct research activities within academic institutions, research organizations, corporations, or government agencies.

(Now, add a few more details about your processes when working with clients. For example, talk about your time management and organizational skills, and which tools/applications you use. Also talk about your ability to solve administrative problems and adapt to changing or new requirements if necessary.)

Portfolio: The two items in your portfolio look great, but I recommend converting your Word (.docx) files to PDF if possible. Many clients might not have the ability to open Microsof Word documents. The Adobe PDF format is universal and can be opened in any browser and across multiple platforms (i.e., desktop, mobile phone, tablet, etc.) Plus, the PDF (if you use a cover page and I recommend you do) cover page will show up in your portfolio, instead of the text you see from the Word document.

Project Catalog: You should also consider adding a project catalog. The project catalog allows you to setup a pre-packaged service that clients can buy without you sending a proposal. Due to higher than usual requests for project catalogs, reviews and approvals are taking a minimum of 10 business days. Read Get Started With Project Catalog for more information.

Good luck!

fahadsi
Community Member

Greetings, Upwork Community!

I am excited to be a part of the Upwork platform, offering my expertise in UI/UX services. As a newcomer, I understand the importance of presenting a compelling profile that accurately reflects my skills and experience.

I kindly request your valuable feedback on my Upwork profile: Adeel Zaighum - UI/UX Services. Your insights, suggestions, and constructive criticism will immensely help me enhance my profile and showcase my capabilities effectively.

Here are a few points I would particularly appreciate feedback on:

1. Profile Presentation: Does my profile effectively communicate my expertise in UI/UX design?
  2. Portfolio: Are the projects showcased in my portfolio diverse and representative of my skills?
  3. Overview and Skills: Are my overview and skills section clear and compelling?
  4. Rates and Availability: Are my rates competitive, and is my availability clearly communicated?

Your feedback will greatly assist me in refining my profile to better meet the expectations of clients and improve my chances of securing meaningful projects on Upwork.

Thank you for taking the time to review my profile and share your thoughts. Your support is immensely appreciated as I embark on this journey as a freelance UI/UX designer.

Warm regards,

Adeel Zaighum

celgins
Community Member

Hi Adeel,

I looked through your profile and here is my feedback:

Profile Presentation: Overall, your profile looks good. But there are a few sections that can be improved.

Portfolio: Your portfolio looks good.

Overview/Skills: Most of your summary looks good, but I highly suggest removing the greeting and the first sentence: "Hello! 👋 Welcome to my Upwork profile." When clients search for freelancers, only the first 200-250 characters of your summary are shown. This means you have very little space (approximately two short sentences) to get their attention. You want this small space to include important words (i.e., your services, skills, and experience)--not greetings, emojis, or any unnecessary words.

Also, the list of keywords at the bottom do not help with profile rankings, so it might be best to remove them.

Rates/Availability: Your hourly rate is a bit on the low end for an experienced UI/UX Designer. I looked at 50 profiles of UI/UX Designers based in Pakistan, and your $10.00/hr is lower than most, which range from $10.00/hr to $50.00/hr depending on experience and speciality.

Availabilty is a personal or business preference, but I think most clients are fine with "More than 30 hrs/week." Most freelancers do not add extra availability information in their summaries.

Your skills, project catalog, certifications, and employment history look good. I do not see any huge problems or issues that would prevent a client from hiring you.

Good luck!

fahadsi
Community Member

Thanks Clark for your feedback I will do changes that you suggest.

63a033e7
Community Member

I am new to this community but am looking forward to this  journey. I would appreciate any feedback or suggestions on my profile. Thanking you in advance for your time. 

Juliet,

When people spend money on the Internet, they want to know exactly what they are getting in return. They also want to take the lowest risk possible, which means choosing someone with a solild track record rather than someone who is new to the work.

You list yourself as an editor / proofreader, then describe yourself as someone with a career in customer service, operations and administrative work. This just doesn't match up at all. What do those things have to do with editing or proofreading?

Just to point this out, you say you "strive for accuracy and excellence." That's not good enough. There are others who have long records of proofreading and editing experience who, whether this is valid or not, guarantee they can deliver the goods, not just strive for results.

Look at other proofreader / editor profiles and see what they say to sell themselves. That should help.

Good luck.

c4b53b65
Community Member

Thanks !

a440f466
Community Member

Please 'AndreaG'  coment and feedback on my profile.

celgins
Community Member

Abush,

Andrea is an Upwork Moderator. The moderators do not provide profile reviews. Other freelancers offer to review profiles and provide feedback.

I looked through your profile and there are a few things you can do to optimize it:

1) Remove the first line from your overview/summary: "I am ABUSH AYELE"

Next, revise the first part of your summary to show clients the services you provide. Nothing in your first paragraph speaks to your data entry services. Clients want to immediately know how you can help them, so your summary should start like this:

"I am a Data Entry Specialist with ____ years of experience producing accurate data entry that helps my clients meet their deadlines and maintain quality standards. I specialize in performing data research, data collection, and data mining, and inputting large data sets into spreadsheets and databases using Microsoft Excel, Microsoft Word, Google Spreadsheet, and Google Docs."

2) Add skill categories to each item in your portfolio. Upwork uses the skill categories attached to your portfolio to match you with relevant jobs, and to help your profile appear in search results when clients search for those skills.

3) Add short job descriptions to each job in your employment history. A job description is especially important when the job is highly relevant to the services you provide on Upwork.

The other sections of your profile look good.

a440f466
Community Member

Please help me review my profile and give a feedback 

here is my profile link

https://www.upwork.com/freelancers/~01c8cb729a930681ec

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths