🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » Re: Get Profile Feedback from Experienced Fre...
Page options
Andrea G Community Manager

Get Profile Feedback from Experienced Freelancers on Upwork

Getting started on Upwork can take a lot of work and focus. To help make this process a little easier, we’ve created this post where you can request feedback on your profile. The community is full of experienced Upwork freelancers who are passionate about helping others. These users will review your profile and provide feedback based on their experience.

If you’re interested in requesting help, make sure your profile visibility is not set to “Private” and then reply below. 

We’re excited to see how Community members can continue to help each other to grow!

Note: A previous version of this post was closed as the number of responses made it difficult to read and navigate. If you had not received a response yet to a request you made, please post again in this thread.

~Andrea
ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Andrea G Community Manager

Hi all,

This thread has been closed from further replies due to its size. We appreciate your participation in the Community and welcome you to continue the conversation on this new thread.

Thank you!

~Andrea

View solution in original post

7,804 REPLIES 7,804
Clark S Community Member

Mert,

See the message in response to your post that follows this one.

Hasin S Community Member

Hi 

Respected members

I have registered /create account on Upwor sine November 2023. I have offer 24 proposal till now i did got single impression or Click 

Kindly Help me 

My profile link is.  https://www.upwork.com/freelancers/~016f594e4a18171cef

William T C Community Member

Hasin,

Click the above Academy link for profile changes, cover letters, and more.

Mert O Community Member

I've been with Upwork since 2020. I update my profile occasionally. I'm applying for jobs and using my connections. Sometimes I buy connections for jobs I'm interested in and apply again. For the jobs I apply for, clients don't even see my offer. Sometimes I think I'm hiding because of a mistake. There hasn't been a single interaction in 4 years. Do you have any suggestions for me?

Clark S Community Member

Mert,

Since your account is active and your freelancer profile is visible, a more likely explanation for your lack of proposal views and invites is increased competition and how the algorithm juggles our profiles. Competition is high in many niches, including architectural design and 3D modeling. There are millions of freelancers and very few jobs, so winning jobs can be a challenge.

I looked at your profile and overall, I think it's good. However, I would use the information at the beginning of your overview/summary to create sentences in paragraph form. For example:

I provide detailed building plans, comprehensive design of structures, visualization of your dreams, and interior design concepts (idea, drawings and visualizations). I can develop architectural concepts, create models from drawings, photos, videos; create visualizations (images, video walkthrough); assist in obtaining building permits; and develop prospects.

See the slight differences in 1 and 2 below. This is what clients will see when viewing your profile in searches:

celgins_2-1708790049978.png

Everything else in your profile looks good.

Unfortunately, you're dealing with the same difficulties many freelancers are facing. You have the experience and skills, so if you have the Connects to spend, I encourage you to keep trying. Hopefully, you will win your first job soon.

Good luck!

Thalia E Community Member

Hello, good day!

I'm new here, please do spend your spare time checking my profile for any comment, feedbacks or thoughts about it. 

Thank you so much, have a nice day ahead! 

Anthony H Community Member

Thalia,

You should look up writer profiles and find ones that have solid success. Try to figure out what they say to sell themselves.

There are key words in the writers market. You have to say things like, "I can produce error-free copy." You have to say things like, "I never miss deadlines."

You also need writing samples. If you don't have any, look at the job postings on Upwork. Assign yourself two or three articles and do them. Post them as your writing samples.

I have to warn you that a $5 per article rate will attract many people who want to take advantage of you. There are conmen and scammers on Upwork. They look for people with limited or no experience. Don't give out your name or number, your address or any other information that could lead to you. Don't send anyone money no matter what they promise you. And do not talk to someone outside of Upwork channels. It's against the rules and could get you into trouble whether it's against the rules or not.

Good luck.

Okore F Community Member

https://www.upwork.com/freelancers/~01fd94e418bfda15b4 

Please I Also need feedback on my profile

Clark S Community Member

Okore,

I strongly suggest you change your profile photo. The picture in your photo shows a close-up image of your head and shoulders, but the background graphics and colors are a problem. Certain colors, and straight, curved, or irregular line patterns in graphics can negatively affect people with and without vision impairments. People (probably several potential clients) with light sensitivity, contrast sensitivity, or spatial deficiencies could experience negative reactions when viewing profile images like yours.

Read through Upwork's best practices for How to Choose A Good Profile Picture.

Your overview/summary has good informtion, but I think the beginning should be revised to focus on your services. When clients search for freelancers, only the first 200-250 characters of your summary are shown. This means you have very little space to get their attention. You want clients to see your services, skills, and experience. Mentioning your experience in the first sentence is great, but there is no need to mention Upwork or use unnecessary words. For example:

Expert Graphic Designer with 4+ years of experience creating exceptional designs and delivering exceptional results to clients worldwide. I specialize in logos, business cards, letter heads, brochures, flyers, infographics, posters, promotional materials, social media posts and advertisements, and packaging design, just about anything you'll need to promote your business.

(...)

If possible, try to add Graphic Design to your skills list. "Menu" is quite generic, so you might want to replace it with Graphic Design since your profile title, summary and portfolio are focused on graphic design. Upwork uses these skill categories to match you with relevant jobs, and to help your profile appear in search results when clients search for those skills.

You should also consider adding a project catalog. The project catalog allows you to setup a pre-packaged service that clients can buy without you sending a proposal. Due to higher than usual requests for project catalogs, reviews and approvals are taking a minimum of 10 business days. Read Get Started With Project Catalog for more information.

Believe it or not, the biggest profile improvement you can make is to change your photo as stated above. The other areas of your profile look good.

Michelle K Community Member

Hi there!
If I am able to get a review and feedback on my profile that would be lovely.

https://www.upwork.com/freelancers/~0197dbfc719c03a56c

Thank you for your time!

Clark S Community Member

Hi Michelle,

There are several improvements you can make to your profile:

Photo: The first thing you should do is change your profile photo. The picture in your photo should be a close-up image of your head and shoulders that clearly shows your face. No graphics, avatars, characters, or anything that isn't a picture of you. Read through Upwork's best practices for How to Choose A Good Profile Picture.

Title: Capitalize the first letter of each word in your title; this will help it stand out: 2D Animator | Game Artist | Pixel Artist

Overview/Summary: Portfolios are important for any graphic artist, but your summary should focus on the services you provide and how you can help clients. When freelancers immediately direct clients to portfolios, I believe most clients pass by those freelancers, and look for those who explain their value.

When clients search for freelancers, only the first 200-250 characters of your summary are shown. This means you have very little space (approximately two short sentences) to get their attention. You want this small space to include important words (i.e., your services, skills, and experience). Do not simply link to your portfolio so soon in your summary.

All animators and game artists will show clients artwork, but clients are also interested in their working relationship with you. Clients are spending money and they are interested in learning whether or not they should hire you based on several factors--not just artistic skills. You can improve your summary if you:

• Tell clients how you communicate and gather feedback during a project to ensure the final product meets their needs.
  • Talk about your attention to detail and how you maintain quality standards.
  • Tell clients if you provide unlimited revisions. Also, do you offer follow-up support after a design project is completed?
  • Mention your time management and organizational skills.
  • Talk about your ability to meet business challenges and adapt to changing or new requirements if necessary.

Clients looking for game artists will find thousands of them on Upwork. The question is, do they have enough good reasons to choose you? If you change your profile photo and provide more information in your summary, clients will be more attracted to your profile and better understand why they should hire you.

Project Catalog: You should also consider adding a project catalog. The project catalog allows you to setup a pre-packaged service that clients can buy without you sending a proposal. Due to higher than usual requests for project catalogs, reviews and approvals are taking a minimum of 10 business days. Read Get Started With Project Catalog for more information.

Good luck!

Cherry S Community Member

This is a very helpful tool as a newbie.  I would appreciate if someone can also review mine?  Thanks very much!

Clark S Community Member

Cherry,

I looked through your profile and I see really good information. Your overview/summary is concise, but I think there is enough information there for clients to understand your services and how you can help them. However, there are a few things I would do to improve your summary:

1) Remove the heading: "QUALIFICATIONS PROFILE" Why? Because the first two sentences of your summary are very important. When clients search for freelancers, only the first 200-250 characters of your summary are shown. This means you have very little space (approximately two short sentences) to get their attention. You want clients to see their goals (your services) in this small space. Headings waste space at the beginning of a profile summary.

2) The remainder of your summary sounds great, but to enhance it, I would add more substance regarding a potential working relationship with clients. For example:

• Tell clients how you communicate and gather feedback while providing your services.
  • Talk about how you can uphold ethical standards, protect proprietary data/information/processes, and use responsible practices for data collection and analysis.
  • Talk about your ability to meet business challenges and adapt to changing or new requirements if necessary. Clients hiring project managers are always concerned about risk management!

Clients are looking for reasons to choose great senior project managers, and the information you provide can help them recognize your value, and better understand why they should hire you and how it will benefit them.

3) You should also consider adding a project catalog. The project catalog allows you to setup a pre-packaged service that clients can buy without you sending a proposal. Due to higher than usual requests for project catalogs, reviews and approvals are taking a minimum of 10 business days. Read Get Started With Project Catalog for more information.

Your skills, certifications, and employment history look great.

I do not see any huge problems or issues that would prevent clients from hiring you.

Good luck!

Gyorgy H Community Member

Hello!

Thanks a lot for your detailed observations, Ill start to revise my profile based on them,

Have a nice day,

Sunetra B Community Member

Hello dear community,

I'm new to Upwork and trying to secure my first contract here, but somehow I'm not getting any interview as well. I have a strong profile with certifications to prove my competencies - but nothing seems to work. Do I have to tweak my profile? Please take a look at my profile and feel free to provide valuable solutions to this. I know a lot of people are on the same boat as me - so I hope your tips will be helpful for a lot of people.

Thanks and Regards,

Sunetra

Clark S Community Member

Hello Sunetra,

Be sure to see the review of your profile provided on 13 February 2024.

Thanks.

Kenneth O Community Member

Hello!

Please have a look at my profile and give me a feedback

Clark S Community Member

Kenneth,

Every area of your profile needs to be updated. You need to add more to your summary and add more graphic design related skill categories to your skills list. Also, it is critical for a graphic designer to have a portfolio.

Make sure your profile is 100% complete before applying to jobs. The best way to complete your profile is to go through the following Academy Courses and other resources:

Abhishek D Community Member

Greetings!

I'm Abhishek, a versatile professional with expertise in graphic design, video editing, motion graphics, and social media management. Since I'm new at upwork, I was seeking for some profile reviews including the portfolio! 

Your feedback will be greatly appreciated as I continue to evolve and expand my professional horizons.

Thank you for your time and consideration.

My profile link - https://www.upwork.com/freelancers/~0153e369e09380dc0c

Shake,

I would delete the 4 plus years of experience business. Having experience just means you were in the room. When I see "I have 10 years of experience," I still don't think that proves much. 

And 4 years isn't that impressive. 

There are other ways to validate your claim to be an expert, ways that are more convincing. How about "I have worked on projects for schools, retail businesses, non-for-profit agencies and private weddings." Dosn't that sound professional? Try to validate your claims with tangible information ("I have done work for 100 different clilents in differenrt settings..") and not abstractions, like "4 years of experience."

Abhishek D Community Member

Hi Anthony,

Good point! I'll make the changes. Thank you for your genuine suggestion! Appreciate it :))) 

Muhammad R Community Member

Hello

I am new on the upwork and I am Struggling to get my first job please anyone check my profile.

Clark S Community Member

Muhammad,

Your profile is not set to Public. You must set your profile to Public or Only Upwork users so we can see it.

You can also provide a direct link to your profile.

Jacob T Community Member

Please have a look at my profile and let me know if anyone is willing to give me the best feedback.

Thank you.

Jacob,

Just a couple of quick thoughts. First, is there a reason you have your eyes closed in  your photograph? It's a bit disconcerting.

Seccondly, be careful with the words you choose. You say something like "Let's keep in constant touch." Do you know what constant means? It means continuously. Do you think people who hire freelancers want to be in touch with them 24 hours a day? In fact, freelancers work remotely and generally on their own. What clients expect and have every reason to believe is that freelancers absolutely know their work so well that they do NOT need to be in touch with every nagging question that comes up. As such, not only do they not want freelancers to bug them with questions all day long, they don't want them to bug them with any questions beyond the first few that are required to get a project rolling.

What are you trying to say ... that you can't work independently???

Think about the message you send. You thiink you're being polite, sensetive and friendly ... "Let's keep in constant touch." But the message is not always interpreted as you think.

Say things like, ,"I can work independently to create the project you envision ..." Will that include a few questions? More than likely, yes, But "keep in constant touch" ... let's hope not. 

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths