🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » Get Profile Feedback from Experienced Freelan...
Page options
AndreaG
Community Manager
Community Manager

Get Profile Feedback from Experienced Freelancers on Upwork

Getting started on Upwork can take a lot of work and focus. To help make this process a little easier, we’ve created this post where you can request feedback on your profile. The community is full of experienced Upwork freelancers who are passionate about helping others. These users will review your profile and provide feedback based on their experience.

If you’re interested in requesting help, make sure your profile visibility is not set to “Private” and then reply below. 

We’re excited to see how Community members can continue to help each other to grow!

Note: A previous version of this post was closed as the number of responses made it difficult to read and navigate. If you had not received a response yet to a request you made, please post again in this thread.

Thanks,
~Andrea
Upwork
ACCEPTED SOLUTION
AndreaG
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi all,

This thread has been closed from further replies due to its size. We appreciate your participation in the Community and welcome you to continue the conversation on this new thread.

Thank you!

~Andrea
Upwork

View solution in original post

999 REPLIES 999
9e29d47c
Community Member

Hi Andrea. First of all I would like to thank you for what you do for the upwork community. I'm new to upwork, I joined it 3 months ago. But so far I haven't won any customers. I need your help to have notice messages on my profile and if possible if I can have jobs for subcontracted for you.

Thank you and see you soon

celgins
Community Member

Hi Carmel,

I'm not exactly sure what you're asking of Andrea, but she is one of several Upwork Moderators. The moderators provide valuable information to freelancers and moderate the Forums, but they do not provide profile reviews.

It is very difficult to get virtual assistance jobs on Upwork; there are hundreds of thousands providing the same services, so it can be a challenge to win jobs.

First, you need to update your profile. There is not enough information in your overview/summary to tell potential clients about the services you provide. You mention that you have experience in web writing, pdf converting, and virtual assistance, but you need to tell potential clients how this experience will benefit them. For example, what tools do you use for PDF conversions and web content writing? Are you able to provide these services quickly and save the client time? Are you accurate with data entry and if you are, how does that benefit the client?

Your answers to questions like these can help a client better understand why they should hire you, what they will get, and how it will benefit them.

I know you have been on Upwork for a few montsh, but you need to make sure your profile is 100% complete before applying to jobs. At a minimum, you should do the following:

fahadahmed404
Community Member

Hi Members, 

Please review my profile and give me your valuable feedback.

Regards

Fahad Ahmed

Hi Fahad,

I reviewed your profile and everything is okay. In your summary, you provide good information about the services you can provide to clients. You might want to also tell clients how these services will benefit them. Will their financial books be in better order because of your services? When you prepare their financial statements, do you guarantee accuracy and completeness? Will they save time when filing quarterly taxes by using your services?

Your answers to questions like these can add more depth to your summary.

Your portfolio, skills, certification and employment history are all very good.

haseeb11634
Community Member

Hi, I am new at Upwork but have almost 4 years of web development experience. below is my profile please check it and give me suggestions on what needs to be improved.
https://www.upwork.com/freelancers/haseebullah

Haseeb

Hi Haseeb,

Welcome to Upwork.

I looked over your profile and you make a good start. However, you need to add more substance to your overview/summary and tell potential clients how you can help them. Everybody will say they solve problems and work well in teams, but you should tell the client how you can solve problems and how you will work within teams. Your first paragraph starts to say some of this, but you should add more examples of how your front-end development services will benefit a client. For example, you could answer questions a client might ask, like:

"My company needs to build a new app with several features. What type of applications could Haseeb build (e.g., dashboard, authentication script, mobile app for inventory, integrated chatbot for websites, etc.) and how would it help my customers?"

"Does Haseeb test his apps and if he does, how often? Does his testing and analysis before deploying the app benefit my company? If it does, how does it benefit my company?"

"My company stays super busy, so how much time will Haseeb spend developing our application and how often will he stay in contact with me to keep me updated?"

"What tools does Haseeb use to collaborate wtih other developers, apply version control (i.e., Git, GitHub, etc.) and why is this beneficial to me?"

"There are several front-end developers with React and Next skills... why should I choose Haseeb to create my company's new app?"

The answers to questions like these can help a client better understand why they should hire you, what they will get, and how it will benefit them.

Your portfolio, skills, certifican and employment history are all very good.

Finally, you may want to look at increasing your hourly rate. Most of the Pakistani freelancers with your skillset (React, Next, Node, Nest React Native, etc.) and experience (3-6 years) are between $15.00/hour - $30.00/hour.

Community Member

hey can you review my profile, big thanks.

celgins
Community Member

Hi Mark Angelo,

You might be new to freelancing, but there is no reason to tell potential clients. The only thing clients really care about is your ability to do the job and how it will benefit them. The introduction to your Overview/Summary is catchy, but I would revise it by telling clients why your skills are important to them, how you can help them, and remove the "aspiring" part. For example, maybe you could rephrase your it like this:

Highly skilled Virtual Assistant with ______ years of experience helping businesses meet their aggressive deadlines by expertly preparing and managing their data, information, and documentation. I can help manage your product information and complete data entry tasks while focus on growing your business.

I specialize in information management, e-commerce/product management, conducting data and market research, and performing in-depth data entry using tools like Microsoft Excel, PIM software, and inventory management software to help streamline e-commerce data entry.

As an experienced assistant store manager, I have a keen understanding of every side of e-commerce fuctions and I can help you integrate Shopify into your existing website, setup your Woocommerce plugins for easier shopping on your WordPress website, or prepare your e-commerce data entry spreadsheets for easier management.

Ready to start collaborating? Let's chat!

Here are the tools/software I use:

(everything after this is good)

Portfolio: Add a portfolio to showcase your skills and demonstrate your experience. The portfolio is a chance to make a positive first impression on potential clients. If you don’t have relevant examples to add to your portfolio, you can create items that demonstrate your skills.

Employment History: Add short job descriptions for each job listed.

After you make these updates, start applying for jobs that match your qualifications and skills by writing great cover letters. In your cover letters, always make sure you create a custom response based on the client's job. Focus on the client's specific points in their job description; highlight your qualifications; and tell the client how you will meet their requirements.

Community Member

Thank you Clark big help

1d340590
Community Member

Hi, 

I have send many proposals but some are not viewing, could you check my profile so I will know which are lacking and any tips to attract potential clients. Thank you so much

celgins
Community Member

Hi Jovelyn,

I normally advise freelancers to avoid using questions for their overview/summary introduction, but I think yours are okay and probably draw attention. Your summary is really good though.

I think you should update your portfolio. Right now, you have some graphic design items there that reflect your skills/experience with data entry, social media management, scheduling, etc. Maybe you could add sample meeting calendars, Excel spreadsheets with scraped web data, or a phone log.

You should also consider adding a project catalog. The project catalog allows you to setup a pre-packaged service that clients can choose to buy without you sending a proposal. Due to higher than usual requests for project catalogs, reviews and approvals are taking a minimum of 10 business days. Read Get Started With Project Catalog for more information.

Also, add short job descriptions for each job listed in your employment history.

Everything else looks good!

bhavsinhsolanki
Community Member

Greetings, Andrea
Hope everything is ok with you!

Please examine my profile as I haven't had any employment offers in the last few months.
I am unemployed. I tried everything, but it wasn't successful for me.
Would you kindly assist me?

I'm looking forward to speaking with you.

best wishes
Bhavsinh Solanki

Hi Bhavsinh,

Andrea is an Upwork Moderator. The moderators provide valuable information to freelancers and moderate the Forums, but they do not provide profile reviews.

Everything in your profile looks good. However, I would probably not start my overview/summary with this:

Experts In NODE.JS , JAVASCRIPT, RACT.JS, HTML, CSS, BOOTSTRAP, MONGODB, SEO, Hosting Server, GO DADY, MY SQL, EJS, JITSI, FIREBASE

There are hundreds of thousands of full-stack developers with Node/React/Next, etc. experience, so this doesn't help clients when it's the first thing they see. Besides, in the next paragraph, you esentially say the same thing:

Being an expert in building backend architecture with Node.js, Express,js, API, MongoDB, Html,

I would probably start the overview/summary with the paragraph that begins with "Being an expert in building backend architecture with Node.js, Express,js, API, MongoDB, Html,..."

Also, you should add short job descriptions for each job listed in your employment history.

Finally, a lot of freelancers—even Top-Rated and Top-Rated Plus—are finding it difficult to get profile views and responses to their proposals. Keep applying for jobs that match your qualifications/skills by writing great cover letters. Always create a custom cover letter based on the client's specific job requirements. Focus on the client's needs and requirements; highlight your qualifications; and tell the client how you will meet their needs.

Good luck!

4f2cc705
Community Member

Hi Andrea,

I have been on this platform for very many years and to date I have never gotten a job. This has been disheartening, to say the least. 

I would appreciate a review of my profile to see if I have set it up well.

Second, I have been making improvements on my proposals but nothing has borne fruit yet. I feel that since I have no previous UpWork clients on my profile it puts me at a disadvantage. I have included samples of previous work from outside the platform plus testimonials.

What else can I do to finally land my first job?

celgins
Community Member

Hi Irene,

The project management support you offer is almost identical to virtual assistance services. There is nothing wrong with that, but Upwork has hundreds of thousands of freelancers providing these services. Competition is likely the main reason why it has been difficult to win jobs and there aren't many guaranteed ways to ensure you win your first job. It's not just you though. Many freelancers—even Top-Rated and Top-Rated Plus—are finding it difficult to win jobs.

For your profile, the first two lines of your overview/summary is a greeting and is unnecessary. It takes up space and you want clients to see the good information first. Meaning, the paragraph that starts with: "With a track record of 10 years of experience..." should be the start of your overview/summary.

celgins_1-1682522553890.png

Everything else in your profile looks good.

Just keep applying for jobs that match your qualifications by writing great cover letters. Write a custom cover letter based on the client's job:

1) Acknowledge the job you are applying for

2) Highlight your qualifications

3) Explain how you will solve their problem

4) Request an Upwork Zoom call to discuss their project

Good luck!

andioflo
Community Member

Can Someone help me, i wddraw a funds and click on get paid this morning nut until now i haven't received any email from upwork that my payment has been processed, usually it will take a few minutes after i click on get paid i received an email. Can someone assists me on this please. 

celgins
Community Member

You should post this message in the Freelancer's Forum; you will get help from other freelancers and probably an Upwork Moderator there.

285be426
Community Member

Hi Andrea!

I'd love to have someone who can provide me with some useful suggestions in terms of enhancing my profile. 

celgins
Community Member

Hi Ali,

I reviewed your profile and everything is in great shape. The only suggestion I have is to add short job descriptions for each job listed in your employment history. Also, for your Public Relations specialized profile, I would revise the title to say either Professional Press Release Writer or Press Release Writer, and remove the "A" at the beginning.

285be426
Community Member

Well, I'm glad that it looks good according to you. Ummm okayy I'll cut down some of the sentences from the employment history. And yes, for the Specialized Profile, I was also thinking about changing it into something you just proposed. 

Thank you so much Clark!

285be426
Community Member

There's one more thing I wanted to ask. Is the current per-hour rate on my profile okay or it needs to be changed? As per my previous work history, it's been 3 years now for me working as a Copywriter. Though in front of upwork I'm a  freshie lol. But, I'm not sure if the current price justifies the work experience I'm equipped with.  

d1f8d3fe
Community Member

First of all thankyou Andrea G for this post!

I'm a Filipino needed someone who can help me with Data Entry job or Graphic Design using Photoshop to gain clients Short-term or Long-term... I'm a beginner in Data Entry and have no experience yet but I already researched some ideas on how to do it but I still need more guidance and trials to make sure I can do it in field to give my clients 100% outcome in my work and gain their trust...

celgins
Community Member

Hi Herebert,

Both data entry and graphic design are highly competitive skill areas here on Upwork. Combined, there are probably a million (or more) freelancers providing data entry and graphic design services, so it is always a challenge to get jobs.

Since you are new to Upwork, make sure your profile is 100% complete before applying to jobs. The best guidance for new freelancers comes from here:

Good luck!

join-majid
Community Member

Dear Andrea G,

As a new member of Upwork, I have not yet been successful in securing any job opportunities. I am uncertain whether this is a result of shortcomings in my profile or my approach in submitting proposals. Therefore, I would greatly appreciate it if you could kindly review my profile and provide constructive feedback on areas that require improvement.

Thank you for your time and assistance in this matter.

Hello Adbul,

Andrea is one of several Upwork Moderators. The moderators provide valuable information to freelancers and moderate the Forums, but they do not provide profile reviews.

Photo: I looked over your profile and the first thing you should do is change your photo. Your photo should be a close-up image of your head and shoulders that clearly shows your face (without sunglasses). Read through Upwork's best practices for How to Choose A Good Profile Picture.

Overview/Summary: Your summary has good information, but there are a few things you should revise. Remove this:

Hello there! Welcome to my professional and creative research writing services.

Greetings seem nice, but they are unnecessary and take up space. The first two sentences in your summary are important because the client will see them when reading your profile and these sentences might show first when clients are searching for freelancers with your skills.

In the second paragraph, remove the reference to "gig." Instead, you might want to revise this paragraph by speaking to the client and how these topics could help them meet their needs:

I can conduct research and analysis, and cover a variety of topics including computer science, education, communication, information, sociology, psychology, environmental science, health science, business, literature, ethics, religion, human resource, finance, nursing, healthcare, and social work.

Portfolio: Add more items to your portfolio to showcase your skills and demonstrate your experience. You have one good sample, but clients might expect to see more samples from a research writer. If you don’t have relevant examples to add to your portfolio or if they are private/confidential, you can create items that demonstrate your research writing skills.

Skills: We are allowed up to 15 skills categories, so you should add more relevant skills. Right now, I don't see any skills categories about research documentation or summaries. It is important to keep your skills list updated with relevant skills categories so that Upwork can match you with relevant jobs, and so your profile will appear when clients search for your skills.

After you make these minor updates, start applying for jobs that match your qualifications by writing great cover letters. Write a custom cover letter based on the client's job: 1) acknowledge the job you are applying for; 2) highlight your qualifications; 3) explain how you will solve their problem; and finally, 4) request an Upwork Zoom call to discuss their project.

41f59674
Community Member

I would love a profile feedback thank you 

celgins
Community Member

Kayode,

I looked through your profile and you don't provide enough information for clients to understand how your services will benefit them. You mention your experience, but you should focus on a potential client's needs. Clients expect to read about your skills and qualifications, but they really want to know how your skills/qualifications will benefit them.

You want to give potential clients your value proposition. A value proposition is what differentiates you from other architectural designers, and convinces clients that you're the freelancer they should choose. Maybe you can focus more on the client’s needs by answering questions a client might ask. For example:

• "My company needs to visualize an architectural concept before we make a decision on what to build. What types of concepts can Kayode provide?" ("I can provide 3D visualizations and models of residential and commercial interiors and exteriors...")

• "Can Kayode recommend a way to draft designs so that we can view them online and discuss as a group with people in different geographical locations?"

• "Does Kayode provide samples or mockups and if he does, how many drafts will he do?

• "What tools does Kayode use to drawings and designs, and how does using such tools benefit my company? Is he able to provide faster 3D renderings? Does using these tools help increase the accuracy and definition of drawings/models?

• "My company is really busy, so how much time will Kayode spend developing samples or the final design, and how often will he stay in contact with me to keep me updated?"

• "There are several architectural designers out there... why should I choose Kayode to create a commercial space for my business?"

The answers to questions like these can help a client better understand why they should hire you, what they will get, and how it will benefit them.

Your portfolio and skils categories are good. However, you should add short job descriptions for each job listed in your employment history.

6f1f4cb3
Community Member

I AM NEW TO UOWORK AND I WANT TO START GETTING JOBS AND MAKING MONEY ON THIS PLATFORM WITH MY DATA ENTRY EXPERIENCE.

PLEASE GUIDE ME THROUGH

celgins
Community Member

Abdulrahman,

Welcome to Upwork.

It is very difficult to get data entry jobs on Upwork; there are hundreds of thousands of freelancers providing data entry services, so it can be a challenge to win jobs.

Here are some tips to improve your profile:

Title: Telling clients that you are a Microsoft Office User won't mean anything to them. Instead, your title should focus on a specific skill/job. I recommend something like: Data Entry Specialist or Data Entry and Lead Generation Specialist.

Overview/Summary: It appears that your overview/summary was copied from a résumé. As a freelancer, you need to think about work for a client as business-to-business, not employee-to-employer. In other words, you have skills and experience providing services, and you want to tell potential clients how those skills will benefit them. Clients expect to read about your skills and qualifications, but they really want to know how your skills/qualifications will benefit them by solving their problems.

Revise your summary (remove the "CAREER OBJECTIVE" since you are not seeking a career with a client) by telling the client what you can do for them, why it benefits them, and why you are the best choice for them. For example, maybe you can start your overview/summary this way:

I am a Data Entry Specialist with _______ years of experience producing accurate data entry and meeting my client’s deadlines. I specialize in data research, data collection and data entry using Microsoft Excel, Microsoft Word, Google Spreadsheet, Google Docs, PDF Conversion, and Internet research.

-------------What can I help with?--------------

✔ Data research, collection and entry

✔ Data entry conversions (i.e., PDF/Word/data -> Excel/PDF/data)
✔ Online data entry for websites
✔ Scraping Websites and locating emails/contact details from websites

✔ Ad campaigns (Google Ads, Facebook Ads)

(... more here or remove any that do not apply to you)

Then, list your software/computer proficiency, and tell clients how your experience with these applications will help improve accuracy of data entry, increase efficiency for office tasks, decrease schedule delays, etc.

Portfolio: Also, add more items to your portfolio to showcase your skills and demonstrate your experience. The portfolio is a chance to make a positive first impression on potential clients. If you don’t have relevant examples to add to your portfolio, you can create items that demonstrate your skills.

Since you are new to Upwork, make sure your profile is 100% complete before applying to jobs. At a minimum, you should do the following:

eb90de1f
Community Member

I've just doubled the word length of my profile.

Can someone give it a look and determine if the word length is optimal?

I'd also appreciate other insights. 

Tayyab,

There is no perfect length, of course, but if there was you would be pretty close to it. 

All right, my dear sir

Thanks as always!

b0008e53
Community Member

Hi William!

I am data entry expert and i am new to upwork. I don't have testimonial on my profile. Can you help me.

I will be very thankful to you.

Hi Walayat,

Thank you for reaching out. Testimonials are a way to highlight the awesome work you’ve done outside of Upwork. In order to have them on your profile, you will need to send requests to your former employers.

To request a testimonial:

1. Go to Settings, then My Profile
  2. Scroll down to the “Testimonials” section
  3. Click on “Request a testimonial”
  4. Enter your client’s contact information, including a link to their LinkedIn account

Once you’ve completed your part, we’ll email your request to your client and let you know when we hear back

You may check this help article to learn more. 

~ AJ
Upwork
67261a84
Community Member

Hello!  I would greatly appreciate your opinion on my Upwork portfolio.  I have different skill sets that are all related and am not sure how to share the various types of things I am able to help clients with.  Thanks for

any advice!

Lisa,

So you can't dance, is that it?

OK, start again: I loved your reading perhaps more than your singing, which is completely stunning. So, let's get that out of the way.

There's nothing overtly wrong with your write-up, but it's not focused on the market. Here the rule of thumb is tell them what they want to hear. So, starting with your musical theater experiences at age 7 just isn't quite direct enough.

You should start with the message "I can get the job done." Clients on Upwork are looking for results, not your background story. So your best opening is "I am an expert voice-over artist with a ton of experience who can reach a wide audience with stunning vocal performance that is clear, articulate and personable."

That's the template. It always starts with "I am an expert ______ with these credentials (experience, education, whathaveyou) who can __________ (solve your problem).

Clearly, your background and experience is important to validate that opening sentence. I just would start with a sentence that goes right to the heart of the matter, rather than starting with you as a seven-year-old. Use that information later.

The first thing to do is extablish yourself as an expert. Once you do that, people will pay attention to the rest of your write-up -- why? Because you're an expert. They're looking for an expert, so they'll be interested in what an expert has to say. 

Voice-over artists also have to talk about their technical equipment. It would help if you said something along the lines of "I have access to a professional studio," or "I have all the recording equipment necessary." Something along those lines are a typical add-in.

You could look through Upwork for other voice over artists and see what they have to say and find ideas there. Look at their prices; you would want your price to be somewhere in the middle, but in your case very high in the middle.

Then, when you accept your Grammy award, remember me in your acceptance speach. I'll wipe away a tear and say, "I knew her when ..."

b2cd0940
Community Member

Hi Andrea, Everyone,

Would appreciate your feedback on my profile. Thanks in advance

celgins
Community Member

Hi Roger,

I looked at your profile and there are several issues you need to fix.

Title: There is a lot happening in your title. It isn't bad, but if you can make it shorter (like the title in your Sales and Business Development specialized profile), it might read better to clients. Maybe something like:

• ERP/CRM Business Analyst or
  • ERP/CRM Specialist or
  • ERP/CRM Business Consultant

Overview/Summary: There are two big issues with your summary: 1) there isn't enough information for clients to learn about your services; and 2) the information you currently have focuses on you, not the client.

Your summary should be a value proposition for potential clients. A value proposition is what differentiates you from other ERP/CRM Business Specialists, and convinces clients that you are the freelancer they should choose. Clients expect to read about your skills and qualifications, but they really want to know how your skills/qualifications will benefit them.

So, I suggest you add more information to your summary that tells clients how your services will meet their needs or help solve their problems. Be specific about the services you provide because clients want to know what they are getting for their money, and don't care much about personality traits. For example, you could start by saying something like:

I am an expert ERP/CRM Business Specialist with 6 years of experience providing highly effective client management services for B2B relationships who understands negotiating and completing the sale. I can help you implement your CRM such as Salesforce, Zoho, Zendesk, etc. and setup help desk/case management, leads, contacts, accounts, and other tools.

How are you organizing your leads, collecting emails, managing your text alerts, and using data to analyze trends to make decisions?

-------------Here is how I can help:----------------

✔ Perform B2B lead generation with the goal of turning your customers' interest into sales

✔ Automate sales and marketing funnels

✔ CRM software selection, implementation, configuration, and administration

✔ Call center consulting with tactics for cold calling

(... add more here and remove any that do not apply to you)

-------------I am an expert with:---------------

✦ Salesforce
✦ Zoho

✦  Hubspot

✦ Active Campaign

✦ MailChimp

✦ Constant Contact
✦ Zendesk
(... more here or remove any that do not apply to you)

I have strong leadership abilities, organizational skills and commitment to achieving sales quotas to drive the growth for your business.

Regardless of the size of your company or your goals, my mission is to deliver the highest quality services that allows your organization to meet your most important goals.

Let's talk! Please contact me to discuss your needs and how I can help.

Skills: We are allowed up to 15 skills, so you should choose more relevant skill categories, but only if they are relevant to your services. It is important to keep your skills list updated with relevant skills categories so that Upwork can match you with relevant jobs, and so your profile will appear when clients search for your skills.

Project Catalog: You should also consider adding a project catalog. The project catalog allows you to setup a pre-packaged service that clients can choose to buy without you sending a proposal. Due to higher than usual requests for project catalogs, reviews and approvals are taking a minimum of 10 business days. Read Get Started With Project Catalog for more information.

Employment History: Add short job descriptions for each job in your employment history.

After you make these updates, start applying for jobs that match your qualifications and skills by writing great cover letters. In your cover letters, always make sure you create a custom response based on the client's job. Focus on the client's specific points in their job description; highlight your qualifications; and tell the client how you will meet their requirements.

Good luck!

Community Member

Hey Clark, what about my profile? Can you check it?

celgins
Community Member

Hey Mark Angelo,

Yes... there was a review of your profile on Apr 26, 2023 07:52:36 AM in response to your post on Apr 25, 2023 05:50:53 PM. This link may take you directly to the post.

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths