cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hesitant Freelancer

kristacagg
Krista C Member Since: Nov 5, 2020
1 of 7

I am new to Upwork, and have been offered a Part Time Data Entry position with a client that had a job I responded to. They accepted my proposal. We had a Google Hangout interview. They made me an offer, but it seems....excessive. They are offering me $40/hr with benefits after 4 weeks. They will send me an e-check to purchase the equipment from their vendor needed for the position, and their timesheet to fill out as I work. I have questions. I checked the company on Indeed, Glassdoor, etc and they seem legit. However, I am hesitant as I thought everything was to go through Upwork...tracking time, getting paid...that Upwork was a freelance resource. I do NOT want to break Upwork terms, and have not accepted nor signed a contract. I have tried to find assistance from Upwork, but keep getting referred here. Could someone assist me?

lysis10
Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
BEST ANSWER
2 of 7

Krista C wrote:

I am new to Upwork, and have been offered a Part Time Data Entry position with a client that had a job I responded to. They accepted my proposal. We had a Google Hangout interview. They made me an offer, but it seems....excessive. They are offering me $40/hr with benefits after 4 weeks. They will send me an e-check to purchase the equipment from their vendor needed for the position, and their timesheet to fill out as I work. I have questions. I checked the company on Indeed, Glassdoor, etc and they seem legit. However, I am hesitant as I thought everything was to go through Upwork...tracking time, getting paid...that Upwork was a freelance resource. I do NOT want to break Upwork terms, and have not accepted nor signed a contract. I have tried to find assistance from Upwork, but keep getting referred here. Could someone assist me?

You should be hesitant because it's a scam. You are their perfect demographic. Also, ToS says you have to keep communication on Upwork until a contract is made. Follow ToS and you won't get scammed 99% of the time. I say 99% cuz you can still get scammed (escrow pooyuck) but it's more unlikely.

View solution in original post

kristacagg
3 of 7

Thank you! I feel very stupid now.

andregutierrez22
Andrea G Moderator Member Since: Jul 7, 2020
4 of 7

Hi Krista,

I'm sorry to hear you encountered this kind of activity on the platform. I checked and can see that both the job post and client you are referring to have already been actioned against as per our processes.

Please check out this help article for some advice on Staying Safe on Upwork.

Thanks!

~Andrea
Upwork
kristacagg
5 of 7

Thank you!!!

lysis10
Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
6 of 7

Krista C wrote:

Thank you! I feel very stupid now.

Check scam is pretty popular on here and on the internet at large. The bitcoin scammers are around too (buy bitcoin for me and I'll pay you on upwork).

kristacagg
7 of 7

I very much appreciate all of the replies!

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS