🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » Hired but no communication since?
Page options
74b3f842
Community Member

Hired but no communication since?

Is it common to be hired for a contract and then not hear anything from the client?

Thanks!!

ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Ashley, that is exactly right.

I do not accept any fixed-price contract until I have everything I need to complete the work and collect payment.

For transcription work you should receive the audio file first.

And you should listen to it first.

To make sure you know what you are getting into. You need to know about the sound quality and speed of speaking and whether or not it is one person speaking slowly into a microphone, or a garbled argument between five people speaking Klingon in a crowded restaurant.

If it is an hourly contract, you need to make sure you have at least one audio file, enough work that it will take you ten minutes to work on... so that you don't have a zero-pay contract.

If I accept a fixed-price contract, then I do the work and submit it.

What if the client decided to go on a three-month sailboat cruise without Internet access?

That is fine! I submit my work, get paid automatically, close the contract, and when the client returns from his cruise, the work is waiting there in his inbox.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
prestonhunter
Community Member

re: "Is it common to be hired for a contract and then not hear anything from the client?"

It is not common.

But it happens.

If I get hired, and then never hear from the client again, I still get paid for my work.

If that isn't what happens for you, then it means you're doing it wrong. Ask us if you have questions about that.

We agreed on a contract for some transcription work and the client said they would send files over.  Nothing has been sent and they've not replied to any messages either.  

Ashley B wrote:

We agreed on a contract for some transcription work and the client said they would send files over.  Nothing has been sent and they've not replied to any messages either.  

It is a beginner's mistake to accept an offer before having everything (or something) to get started. You want to avoid no-money paid contracts at all cost, as they are bad for your rating. 

Thank you, Martina, for the information. 

So for any future jobs, I should not accept an offer at all until I've received something from the client to begin work on as this secures my right to payment; is this correct?  Also, should I end the contract or take any other actions on this job? 

Thank you for your help!! 

Ashley, that is exactly right.

I do not accept any fixed-price contract until I have everything I need to complete the work and collect payment.

For transcription work you should receive the audio file first.

And you should listen to it first.

To make sure you know what you are getting into. You need to know about the sound quality and speed of speaking and whether or not it is one person speaking slowly into a microphone, or a garbled argument between five people speaking Klingon in a crowded restaurant.

If it is an hourly contract, you need to make sure you have at least one audio file, enough work that it will take you ten minutes to work on... so that you don't have a zero-pay contract.

If I accept a fixed-price contract, then I do the work and submit it.

What if the client decided to go on a three-month sailboat cruise without Internet access?

That is fine! I submit my work, get paid automatically, close the contract, and when the client returns from his cruise, the work is waiting there in his inbox.

Ashley B wrote:

Thank you, Martina, for the information. 

So for any future jobs, I should not accept an offer at all until I've received something from the client to begin work on as this secures my right to payment; is this correct?  Also, should I end the contract or take any other actions on this job? 

Thank you for your help!! 

No, it has nothing to do with your payment. The purpose of having the material first is 1. avoid a no money paid contract because the client is MIA and 2. so that you know EXACTLY what you are getting into, can revise your cost estimate, give the client an exact timeline, and  most importantly, gracefully withdraw if you don't like the offer any longer at this point, without any negative consequences.

Edit: I see Preston pretty much said the same thing, but I spent so much time writing this, sooooooooo............

Hello, I have a similar contract where the client hired me to prouduce a track & I have just been waiting for the lyrics to compose the melody, since 2 weeks. There has been no reply from his end even after reminder messages.

Should I start the basic work or just wait endlessly/end the contract.

It is an hourly contract. Will I get paid now if I clock in some hours ?

Please help. Thank you.

Hi Nikhil,

One of our team members will reach out to you directly via a support ticket to assist you further.

Thank you.

~ Aleksandar
Upwork
Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths