🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » How to diffuse client's desire to move off Up...
Page options
calrobert
Community Member

How to diffuse client's desire to move off Upwork?

My second client ended one of our meetings by asking if I would be comfortable moving off the platform.

I am going to stay on the platform and am okay losing the client if we do not align.

But, what are the best ways to go about this discussion?  What are the best talking points regarding how this best serves both of our interests?

ACCEPTED SOLUTION

I have had current clients make the same offer. I say no thank you, I am only doing payment through Upwork, and they let it drop.

I don't report them. They are real clients and they continue paying through Upwork.

After two years, you can do whatever you want. Until then: Upwork.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
prestonhunter
Community Member

There is no "discussion."

Tell him:

"Thank you, but that is not necessary. I can be hired and paid through Upwork only."

If he does not hire you through Upwork, then use the "Flag as inappropriate" link button on the job posting page and report him.

Thanks Preston,

I'm already in a contract with this client, they mentioned it regarding any future projects (if they happen).

I feel it is still in my best interest to notify them of the benefits of staying on, and I wanted to hear what worked best for other freelancers.

I have had current clients make the same offer. I say no thank you, I am only doing payment through Upwork, and they let it drop.

I don't report them. They are real clients and they continue paying through Upwork.

After two years, you can do whatever you want. Until then: Upwork.

Great, thank you for the clear and solid advice!

I will go ahead and let them know.

Best,

Cal

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths