🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » How to report the company
Page options
4f9c5608
Community Member

How to report the company

I would like to know how to report a company or project that I did. Its my first time in Upwork and I was disappointed of hidden charges just to do or work on a project. I paid 55usd then I finished the job. Then they didn't disclose that I need to pay 200 on top of what I've paid to get my pay and it will be reimbursed. Firstly that's why I'm Here to earn money not pay for what I wanna earn. Then PayPal wouldn't allow me to send money and this turned out to be a hassle. They also mistakenly paid 200 USD to me then asking it back because it was a mistake. Fyi they still hasn't paid me for the job I did. How can I lodged a dispute in this company or report? Please help me asap! 

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
BojanS
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Joanna,

Could you please send me a PM with more information about your report? I’ll check that for you and assist you accordingly.

Thank you.

~ Bojan
Upwork

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11
jr-translation
Community Member

I am honestly trying to figure out how often YOU violated the ToS.

Who are "they"?

There are no hidden charges from Upwork sides.

Why Paypal? All payments need to go through Upwork.

Have you ever been hired?

martina_plaschka
Community Member

Go to the job posting if it's still there and flag it. These people are scammers, they never intend to pay you, they are only after your money. 

Thank you for this advice. I'll try my best to get to know and understand upwork

prestonhunter
Community Member

Joanna:

Reporting a fraudulent client is all about helping OTHER people.

What is more important is for you to understand all the mistakes that YOU made.

Until you understand your own mistakes, you won't be able to succeed on Upwork.

BojanS
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Joanna,

Could you please send me a PM with more information about your report? I’ll check that for you and assist you accordingly.

Thank you.

~ Bojan
Upwork
4f9c5608
Community Member

Hello Bojan, 

I paid for 55 USD for a retyping job. Then they ask me 200 USD to pay for the PayPal transfer fee. This are all refundable. They said they'll pay me but I still don't have the payment. **edited for Community Guidelines** is the company name. 

AveryO
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Joanna, 

I'm sorry to learn about your experience with this client. I'm unable to locate the client's job post when I checked your account. If you haven't already, please flag the client's project by following the steps here so that the team can review it further.

As a gentle reminder, offering and accepting to be paid off Upwork is a violation of the Upwork Terms of Service. Interviews and pre-contract messages should also be done through Upwork. 

I highly recommend that you read up on the "Safety First!" section of the freelancer resources we have compiled, and these tips for avoiding questionable jobs for more information about working safely through Upwork.

It would also be best to visit these articles for more information on how you can keep in line with Upwork's Terms of Service when engaging on the website:

I hope this helps!

ETA: Joanna, I think I have correctly identified the project you are referring to. Action have been taken against the project and the client account for violating the Upwork Terms of Service.

~ Avery
Upwork
4f9c5608
Community Member

Thank you Avery. Yes I will read more about this articles.

Joanna A wrote:

Hello Bojan, 

I paid for 55 USD for a retyping job. Then they ask me 200 USD to pay for the PayPal transfer fee. This are all refundable. They said they'll pay me but I still don't have the payment. **edited for Community Guidelines** is the company name. 

If a client asks you to send them money, you're being scammed. You don't pay for jobs, the client pays you for jobs. And there is no such thing as a $200 PayPal transfer fee. PayPal shouldn't even be in the mix since payments have to go through Upwork.

Please read the terms of service and the pinned thread at the top of this forum on getting started at Upwork before you keep going.

It sounds like you still don't understand what's happening here. If a total stranger approached you on the street and said, "Give me $50, I'll pay you back - I swear" would you give it to them? Because that's exactly what has happened. These people aren't real clients, they're thieves who want to steal your money; they have absolutely no intention of giving you a refund or paying you for the work that you did. Your $50 is gone, and you're lucky that you didn't lose another $200 as well. You need to understand that you shouldn't trust total strangers on the Internet, or this is going to happen to you again.

Edited to add: the company name that they gave you is also fake (or rather, it's a real company, but they don't work there). Please don't believe everything that someone tells you.

tjofi
Community Member

The only person that pays anything is the client, I don't understand what exactly did you pay? 
You were hired by the client to complete the task(s) - once you submit your work and the client approves it, the payment is released to your account. That's the only way it works: you don't pay anything, you only get paid.

Regards,
~Filip
Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths