🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » I need advice please
Page options
73b20a9d
Community Member

I need advice please

Hi everyone!

I need some advice. I have difficulty in landing jobs. I have read upworks' articles about how to write my proposals and how to interview. I didn't even get to the interview yet. 

I need some advice about certain parts of my proposals, according to the articles that I've read. My field is data entry and powerpoint presentations. I don't have any prior work experience at all. I am a comlplete newbie. But I do know the ms office programs. I feel a little discoaraged if I look at all the professionals' profiles in my field with so many years of experience.

How must I write my propasal if I don't have any proof to show I can get the work done? I can't gain experience wihtout getting hired somewhere.

Thanks in advance.

10 REPLIES 10
sullivanliz
Community Member

Data entry is super competitive, is there anything else you can do? If not, keep trying, eventually you should land something, and consider upskilling.

I had a quick look at your profile, I'd take all the stuff about your lack of experience out of there - no-one wants to hear that apart from scammers. Don't mention it in your proposals either. Remember, you're the solution to your clients' problems! Don't give them reasons not to hire you. If you can do the job it shouldn't matter that you have limited working experience.

Final thing, your profile picture is lovely but I'd consider switching it for something more 'work'. I'd try a simple headshot, plain background, smiling but not laughing.

feed_my_eyes
Community Member

To be honest, I think that you'd be better off applying for jobs in the real world in order to gain some training and experience before you try freelancing. Data entry is highly competitive, and your typing speed of 30wpm is pretty slow; PowerPoint work is also going to be very difficult to obtain if you don't have better-than-average skills and a more extensive portfolio. Employers are often willing to invest time in training and giving opportunities to hard-working and ambitious young people, but freelance clients just want to get their projects done without any hassles.

73b20a9d
Community Member

I am actually starting to study this year. It was my plan to do something like this on the sideline to help me with my study fees. I considered transcribing a while ago but I have hearing loss, so I can't hear propperly most of the transciption, especially with accents I'm not used to. I am good with languages too, but I'm guessing Afrikaans and English and the very little Spanish I know won't work well here.

Thanks for your advice Christine, I was starting to think that too. But as I was saying I am starting to sudy this year and just want some small, easy, no experience needed job to ease my study fees a little.

That is the problem. Upwork is not an easy way to make money at all. You need to be serious about this and put in a lot of work to gain traction. 

Easy, no-experience-required jobs don't exist, so I think that you'd still be better off looking for part-time jobs in your town. I had to work my way through university as well (I had four part-time jobs at one point), but if you can tell yourself that it's only temporary, you'll get through it. Best of luck 🙂

bda4f07b
Community Member

Hi, please I need help.

I just became an active user here and can't seem to land any jobs.

I've sent out some proposals but haven't gotten any invites.

I just graduated from medical school, I have a Bachelor of Surgery and Bachelor of Surgery degree.

I'm really good at editing, typing and transcription.

Please, could I get some jobs?

73b20a9d
Community Member

Shucks. I'm really sorry. That came out totally wrong. I hope I didn't offend anyone. What I meant was that I want something not very complicated to do because I don't have any special training other than having Computer Application Technology (CAT) as a school subject. I am studing from home through UNISA. I know of a lot of people in my country who study through them and still have full-time jobs. That is what I am trying to achieve. I am totally 100% serious about this.

I am thinking that maby I should state in my overview what kind of data entry I can do. I have read an article online of what types you get . I looked at 25 Types of Data Entry Processes for Running a Successful Business (offshorebusinessprocessing.com).  I can do plain data entry, other basic typing jobs like filling a excel spreadsheet with data and image to text data entry. I am working on it to upgarde my tping speed.

December last year I started to do typing lesons online from typing club. Also regarding PowerPoint, I really can work with the program. I made a video too but the timing doesn't work so well for some reason, the PowerPoint presentation is better. I already had the music and I used images from sites that provide free, legal images so I didn't use coppyright images. I am just telling you this to show you I really am dedicated and serious about this.

Thnks for all the advice.

Data entry is one of the lowest paid niches, and you compete with tens of thousands of people that charge half your rate. It would be better to offer skills where you can charge more, so that you work less hours for more money per hour. Maybe Powerpoint presentation design.  

In any case, you would have to rework your profile text completely to come across as a professional who knows what she's doing. That is the most important thing. 

No worries, you are not offending anybody here. I don't know why you would even think that. 

73b20a9d
Community Member

I was wondering how much I sould charge for that. I like to make PowerPoint presentatations. I have started to make some samples of templates totally from scratch using free legal images as logos to use for colour templates I really like what I'm coming up with.  I can do business presentations too, but what would I write in that? Maby just x's for words and dollor signs or dashes for numbers or something. But I think templates is good for a kick start.

I was wondering if I could ask for advice what I should write in my overview to make it sound more professional. I don't have a clue what I'm doing there obviously.

I was worried that you would think I will neclect my work and not give it the attention it needed.

Start by researching freelancer profiles. Not copy/paste, but for inspiration. 

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths