🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » I need to update working hours post factum
Page options
gene-birenberg
Community Member

I need to update working hours post factum

I wasn't counting my working hours. (I didn't know I should.) Now my client wants to pay me, but there's no hours updated.

What can I do now?

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
g_vasilevski
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Hi Gene,

You can enter manual hours or your client can send you the payment as a bonus on your contract.
To add manual hours your client will need to allow you this option first. Keep in mind that in both above cases your not eligible for our Upwork Payment Protection

~ Goran
Upwork

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
g_vasilevski
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Hi Gene,

You can enter manual hours or your client can send you the payment as a bonus on your contract.
To add manual hours your client will need to allow you this option first. Keep in mind that in both above cases your not eligible for our Upwork Payment Protection

~ Goran
Upwork

How do I put in hours worked
Worked eleven hours .have done everything in messenger
Not sure what to do?

Hi Christine,

For hourly contracts, you will need to download the Upwork Time Tracker App to log your hours while working. When working hourly contracts, all time logged in the Work Diary by the freelancer is automatically invoiced to the client. Here's the help article for addtional details about how the Weekly Billing Cycle works. You may also want to read about the Upwork Hourly Protection

~ Joanne
Upwork
gilbert-phyllis
Community Member

The clock for hourly contracts resets every Sunday 12 midnight UTC. The freelancer has until Monday at 12 noon UTC to make adjustments to posted hours. After that, the door is shut. (Client then has until Friday of that week to review. Payment is available the following Wednesday.)

For hours you didn't post for a week that is closed, you need to get the client to pay you via a bonus payment.

Going forward, use the Upwork time tracker to log your hours, if the nature of your work makes that feasible. (Mine does not--I use multiple screens, do much of my work at a whiteboard and on paper, etc.) Otherwise, be sure the client has enabled "manual hours". Either way, be sure the weekly cap on hours is adequate to support the work to be performed.

Aside from all of that, you REALLY need to spend some time reading all of the available information for new freelancers and becoming familiar with how to use this platform. The fact that you jumped into an hourly contract without realizing you needed to track hours, suggests you haven't done nearly enough homework. There are all kinds of ways to get tripped up here, if you don't understand the mechanics.

Good luck!

Phyllis G wrote:

There are all kinds of ways to get tripped up here, if you don't understand the mechanics.

For instance, Gene, your client is under no obligation to pay you for hours you didn't record, so count your blessings that your client is ethical.

Thank you very much

Good
Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths