🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » I want to manually log hours worked in the pa...
Page options
jheeder
Community Member

I want to manually log hours worked in the past

From Jan 18 2020 to Jan 24 I worked hours. How do I invoice them?

2 REPLIES 2
prestonhunter
Community Member

John:

You may log manual hours for ANY time during the current week.

The week ends at midnight on Sunday UTC.

I live in Arizona, so for me that means 5:00 p.m. on Sunday. Depending on what time zone you live in, when the Upwork week ends may be different for you.

The current week started about 5 days ago. (Sunday, Jan. 26 at 5:00 p.m. for me.) There are about 2 days left in this week.

Once the week ends, I can no longer log manual time for that week. I can only log manual time for the current week.

HOWEVER: Clients may pay you a bonus in any amount at any time. So if you neglected to log time for a previous week, then you can ask a client to pay you using the Pay Bonus tool.

Technically, it is possible to log hours for the current week... for hours you actually worked in a previous week. But I consider this to be dirty pool.

Work safe and show your clients respect: If you need to log manual time, then log it immediately after a work session has ended.

If you worked 40 hours THIS week, and the client ended your contract RIGHT NOW, before you had a chance to log that time, then you would be faced with the possibility of not getting paid. Whether or not the client actually paid you or not would be on the honor system.

(Actually: All manually-logged time is essentially of on the honor system. Because the client is trusting you with regards to the hours you record. And you are trusting the client to not dispute those hours. If a client disputes manual hours, then the hours are removed and you aren't paid for them. No questions asked.)

a_lipsey
Community Member

You could just explain to the client and ask if they'd allow you to enter them manually for the current week. Or you could ask them to pay you the hours as a bonus. Either way, best to explain to the client what happened and suggest which way you'd prefer to be paid. Most clients would understand and just do whichever you suggest to them, in my experience - as long as your work quality and value is high. 

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths