🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » Before onboarding
Page options
richianderson
Community Member

Before onboarding

Hi
I have 2 questions now.

1) I am working as a name different in passport, and the name has already been known so the passport name will disregard my reputation. Is there a problem to use the nick name when I take the fund?

2) As my profile goes public, is it possible to hide and show on ad-hoc basis? Is it immediately effective on the server?

Thanks in advance.

Now I have one more question: Does Upwork have no support team to answer a freelancer's question? So is that why this community works?

7 REPLIES 7
prestonhunter
Community Member

re: "Is there a problem to use the nick name when I take the fund?"

Yes, that could be a big problem. It depends. If your passport name/legal name is "Robert" and your nickname is "Rob", this might still work. But if your nickname is "Zeus" or "A Plus WordPress Guy", then that is definitely going to be a problem.

re: "As my profile goes public, is it possible to hide and show on ad-hoc basis?"

Yes. You can set your privacy status at any time, effectively hiding and showing your entire profile to the public.

re: "Is it immediately effective on the server?"

Yes. These changes are effective immediately on Upwork's server.

re: "Does Upwork have no support team to answer a freelancer's question?"

Upwork has a Customer Support team.

It is not their intention that their employees' time is taken up answering every single question that pops into any freelancer's head. There are extensive resources available for freelancers to find answers to their questions, including help documentation and the Community Forum.

re: "So is that why this community works?"

This Community Forum is the best place to ask questions about Upwork. The Forum serves many purposes. That is indeed one of them.

Hi Preston,

Thanks for your feedback; you perfectly quenched my questions.

One follow-up is that my family name is same as in the nick but my first name is completely different. In ths case is there any ways to appeal to the team? Or is it a way to show or register a passport name as a middle name?

Thanks in advance.

Richard:
If you want things to work as smoothly and as easily as possible, then you want ALL of these to be EXACTLY the same:

- name on Upwork account

- name on passport

- name on bank account

It is not Upwork's intention that you us a nickname on your Upwork freelancer account.

If your nickname is a standard variation of your given name, then things are more complicated, and you may need a manual name review, but this is doable.

Your name is totally different?

Then you're getting into even more problematic territory. I wouldn't try to do it. There are rare exceptions, but it is going to take more effort. And there is little guarantee of success.

Hi Preston,

Thanks again for your detailed answer. I'm gonna anyway to try 2nd and 3rd suggestions (do you mean it is problematic because it takes time a lot?)

So to try them, where should I fill the form or contact?

Adding one question more: Is it possible that showing family name and initial of first name, instead of showing first name? Then it may work for me.

Upwork wants your name to be the same on your profile page as it is on your passport.

Some recognized variations are allowed. Otherwise, it is not their intention to make exceptions.

I don't think there is a form to fill out. I think you would need to work with customer support.

Hi Preston,

Deep thanks to you and sorry to ask another qustion.

Whenever I click the help center, write questions and click, the following comes up:

Contact Support
Ways to contact our support team
Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths