🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » Identity verification
Page options
stefany7
Community Member

Identity verification

Hello,

I have a problem, I want to use upwork but I want to have an alias (or other name) instead of my real name. Is this possible?

I can send all the verification documents but my name displayed to my clients I want to be different.

I ask this because I already work on a very big corporation and they do not allow us to have our profiles (this was said on a meeting with "closed doors") listed on the freelance platforms and do not tolerate any employees working on the same time on a freelance platform(s).

How I can I do that? I'm safe if I apply for jobs here as well? I want to take jobs here but on the same time I want to keep my job.

Thank you!

8 REPLIES 8
AveryO
Community Manager
Community Manager

I'm sorry to learn about your situation, Stefan. 

To be able to confidently verify your account, Upwork requires users to use their legal name on their account. The names should match the identification documents that you will use when you are asked to verify your account. 

If it helps, you may opt to set your profile visibility to "private", or to "Upwork users only". You may refer to this help article for more information about profile visibility. 

~ Avery
Upwork
stefany7
Community Member

Thank you for your replay.

After that if name is modified is this an option?

stefany7
Community Member

This is a very stupid decision. On my shoes are a lot of freelancers. Besides 20% charge commission you are asking this now without thinking that we area working to make a living.
Anyway, we will figure out a solution to make a living on the other platforms.

Hi Stefan,

I understand your concern with this, but please keep in mind that presenting misleading information is a violation of our TOS. Thank you.

~ Goran
Upwork

Privacy it should be a key on your decision(s). Please send this to anyone have a decision on upwork modification.

In my shoes are a lot of skilled peoples that will think their skills and accounts will be affcted.

If my boss will see my account here (because he needs also other persons and I know he is browsing upwork) what I should do? 

Privacy?

The reason freelancers work on Upwork is to maximize their ability to earn mone from clients all over the world. Upwork helps get freelancers exposure to a far wider range of clients.

The purpose of using Upwork is not to maximize privacy.

Nobody is required to use Upwork if it doesn't fit their needs.

Stefan W wrote:

Privacy it should be a key on your decision(s). Please send this to anyone have a decision on upwork modification.

In my shoes are a lot of skilled peoples that will think their skills and accounts will be affcted.

If my boss will see my account here (because he needs also other persons and I know he is browsing upwork) what I should do? 

If your boss browses Upwork, then you would be foolish to open an account. Clients' names are not revealed when applying for jobs. 

I think you should respect the requirements of your full-time job. If you flout them, then you risk losing that as well as being suspended from Upwork. You should read Upwork's Terms of Service, rather than ranting on the forum, because Upwork's business model does not comply with your rather underhand requirements. 

lysis10
Community Member

Stefan W wrote:

lol so you want Upwork to change their rules to accomodate a guy doing shady things while being employed by some office job that doesn't want their employees on freelancing platforms. lol That's hilarious.

You should quit your job then if it means so much to you.

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths