🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » Interviewing off Upwork?
Page options
katerlawr
Community Member

Interviewing off Upwork?

Hi everyone, 

I'm brand new here, and seem to be getting nothing but SCAMS. I know we're supossed to conduct business through the Upwork platform, but also know there are certain clients that are allowed to conduct interviews outside of upwork. 

My question is how can I identify these clients? As soon as they suggest moving off platform I instantly thing it's a scam and withdrawl my proposal. 

Please help! 😞

4 REPLIES 4
JoanneP

Hi Katerina,

Yes, you're right. All communications should be done through Upwork before a contract is placed. 

Client on a Business and Enterprise plan are permitted to request and share contact information and conduct interviews or pre-contract communications outside of Upwork’s platform. You can identify whether a client is Upwork Business or Enterprise by looking for the following symbol on the right column of the job post or in the search tile:

If you see a job or a profile that seems suspicious, you can report it to us using the flagging option. You can read more on this help article and also, please check out Tips to avoid questionable jobs. You might also want to check out the information here to learn more about staying safe on Upwork. 

~ Joanne
Upwork

Thank you so much!

a_lipsey
Community Member

Katerina L wrote:

Hi everyone, 

I'm brand new here, and seem to be getting nothing but SCAMS. I know we're supossed to conduct business through the Upwork platform, but also know there are certain clients that are allowed to conduct interviews outside of upwork. 

My question is how can I identify these clients? As soon as they suggest moving off platform I instantly thing it's a scam and withdrawl my proposal. 

Please help! 😞

Katerina, a lot of clients are new and don't know this rule. You don't have to immediately withdraw or report. You could simply ask them to remain on platform until you have a contract in place since those are the rules, and if they agree then you might have a job. If not, no loss, go ahead and report. It doesn't hurt to do a little friendly client education though. 

martina_plaschka
Community Member

Katerina L wrote:

Hi everyone, 

Please help! 😞

Many newbies, especially in the US, are targeted by scammers. Once you have a good upwork work history, that will go away. You can greatly improve your profile until that is the case, though: don't have the same text in 2 profiles, expand your text, make it more enticing. If you are serious about this, you need to do your homework. It will take you a good amount of hours to: research your competition, improve your texts, be specific about your services. Right now nothing tells a potential client why he should hire you. **Edited for Community Guidelines**

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths