🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » Job posting declines
Page options
a793d39a
Community Member

Job posting declines

I'm trying to hire a freelancer, but keep getting declined because I have too little UpWork experience. How can I make my offer for a writer more attractive?  

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
mtngigi
Community Member

@sarah A wrote:

I'm trying to hire a freelancer, but keep getting declined because I have too little UpWork experience. How can I make my offer for a writer more attractive?  

Sarah,

Sorry I misunderstood your question. I thought you were being declined to set up a client account.

Some freelancers do shy away from new clients. I don't because everyone was new at one point, and I've gotten some very nice clients that way. It can help to show that payment method is verified, but again, that hasn't stopped me because I inform clients I won't work until their payment process is in place.

View solution in original post

16 REPLIES 16
mtngigi
Community Member

Sarah,

New clients sign up all the time ... so I'm not sure that's the reason you're getting declined. I've flagged your post so a moderator should be along soon to advise you.

nkocendova
Community Member

Hi Sarah,

Freelancers can withdraw their proposals for a number of reaons, I did see that one freelancer withdrew their proposal because you don't yet have a lot of experience on Upwork as a client (history of job postings/hiring).

Having a verified payment method, and detailed job posting will help but note that being a brand new client will not be a deal breaker for a lot of freelancers.

~Nina
mtngigi
Community Member

@sarah A wrote:

Sarah,

Sorry I misunderstood your question. I thought you were being declined to set up a client account.

Some freelancers do shy away from new clients. I don't because everyone was new at one point, and I've gotten some very nice clients that way. It can help to show that payment method is verified, but again, that hasn't stopped me because I inform clients I won't work until their payment process is in place.

holymell
Community Member

I don't, either. Most of my clients were new to the platform. I actually prefer it. I've had better outcomes that way.
401034ee
Community Member

I don't get why they would turn down a job offer because of that. 

It's pretty stupid, actually. 

Perry R wrote:

For all we know, the client might be a nightmare to work with. If the client has little to no experience on Upwork then they will also have little to no feedback. This, in turn, makes it all but impossible to get an idea of what they will be like to work with. 

It's far from stupid. The more established freelancers are simply able to be pickier over whom they choose to work with. 

We go there to post a job. That does not take experience. lol Come on.
It is the freelancers who need experience.

Please type your reply above this line -##

I know it doesn't take experience to post a job.

Again, the point is that freelancers have no way of gauging what a client will be like to work with if the client has insufficient feedback on their profile. Some clients can be extremely unreasonable and are best avoided. 

Wrong again. 

The freelancer and the one dojng the hiring should correspond for a little bit to get to know one another better. Also, the freelancer should get 50% upfront before starting work. 

So, yeah, it IS stupid to pass on a job just because they do not have enough "experience" on hiring on Upwork. 

Perry R wrote:

Also, the freelancer should get 50% upfront before starting work. 

Says who? I rather have the 100% waiting for me in escrow than risking to be reported by a client when something I cannot control goes south.

Different strokes, Jennifer. 
For me, I would rather take on more jobs, which comes mainly from new business owners coming here.

It's all about doing it the right way. Unfortunately too many freelancers don't know how to do it. And, many of them are too arrogant and close-minded. 

Besides, no matter what, sometimes things are still going to "go south."
THAT is why communication is important, which should be done with new business owners here.

* thinks to myself* Geez, whatever happened to common sense??? 

Perry R wrote:

I wouldn't turn down a job offer from a new client if I have a good impression from the pre-hire discussions, but I skip about 95% of job postings from new clients. 

I do work with new clients from time to time. Sometimes, it takes a while for them to understand how to open a contract, how to do this or that. If you're in a hurry, it can be a little annoying. Let's put it that way, you end up needing some extra patience with some new clients.

ha ha yup! But once it is done, some of them will come back to rehire. 
Nature of the beast, I guess. 

yitwail
Community Member

Perry R wrote:

Upwork doesn't think so, since they provide that as a reason for declining an invitation, but I've never given that as a reason myself, because I always give "not interested..." as my reason for declining.

Actually, Uopwork encourages freelancers to accept business owners who are new here. They also encourage to take it slow, get to know one another, and get partial money upfront.
Common sense. 
It's too bad that not many people have it.  

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths