cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Job warning signs

fionamckay
Fiona M Member Since: Apr 19, 2011
131 of 964
Another one of my pet peeves is the number of people demanding "perfect" English when their own leaves a lot to be desired. (Usually these are small budget jobs as well.) One ad made hardly any sense at all. Now, I do know that these guys are hiring someone because they don't have the skills but I do wonder how they plan to check "perfect" English. Anyhow, maybe that's just me being a pain in the butt but I do think that you should take some time to spellcheck a job ad.
judithwillson
Judith B Member Since: Aug 26, 2011
132 of 964
My favourites are the ones that manage to combine being cheap and being rude in their posting - usually a combination of shouting orders, some sort of blackmail (poor feedback/ no pay if..) and a few insults about one nationality or another for good measure. Yes, if you think that is appropriate in a job advert, I really hate to think what you'd be like as a client. One actually described most of the applicants he was wanting to attract as scoundrels (as he tried to get people to work for $1 an hour). Best to avoid these, even if you are attracted by their very poorly paid jobs. Perhaps they simply don't know how to write a job posting, but if they can't manage to be respectful and professional there you wonder how they'll behave once they hire somebody.
barbarawright
Barbara W Member Since: Nov 16, 2007
133 of 964
I had to do some shuffling around in my junk drawer, but I finally found my tube of superglue, so here you go - Darren's awesome post is now a sticky! Thanks Anna Smiley Happy
"Everybody is talented, original, and has something important to say." - Brenda Ueland
mtaboclaon
Ace Contributor
Aleah T Member Since: Mar 25, 2010
134 of 964
This is now a sticky!
barbarawright
Barbara W Member Since: Nov 16, 2007
135 of 964
I do think this post was well-written and a very big help for many of those new to oDesk. I know if I had read something like this in the very beginning, it would have helped me tons. So, no big cake necessary - I'm just glad to see the forums doing what they were meant to do - allow people to share helpful information about oDesk. Now where did I put that superglue?? Smiley Happy
"Everybody is talented, original, and has something important to say." - Brenda Ueland
expuser
Exp U Member Since: Oct 29, 2014
136 of 964
:bigsmile:
cothridge
Patrick M Member Since: Nov 12, 2011
137 of 964
this is a great piece
blogaholic
Cherisse R Member Since: Feb 7, 2009
138 of 964
Thanks for the great tips. Unfortunately, I read this too late. A big big employer got me to take a non-paid test. With such high scores, I progressed to the trial phase where I was given an assignment that will pay me only when I complete it and get hired for the job. Blinded by the high hourly rate that they flashed, I did a comprehensive policy and procedure that I am certain will pass ISO standards as part of the assignment. After a few days, I get the regret letter. . . lol. And when I check their list of jobs open, the position I applied for was no longer there, yet I see no jobs ongoing under that position. Wt*? And I pride myself in being intelligent . . . remind me not to get fooled twice please.
leeu
Leo Victor S Member Since: Oct 12, 2011
139 of 964
Don't be get fooled next time.....
florenbernardo
floren b Member Since: Mar 21, 2010
140 of 964
Darren, my only comment is control yourself don't fight back just avoid them. You have already made the warnings and its up to us to try to defend ourselves on whatever is coming. Merry Christmas and a Very Happy and Prosperous New Year.
TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS