🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » Logging hours after work completed & Hourly t...
Page options
377b6aa6
Community Member

Logging hours after work completed & Hourly to flat rate contract conversion

Hello,

I started on upwork less than a week ago and I didn't realize I needed to use the desktop app to log hours. I delivered the project to my client and he approved the work. Because I didn't log the hours through the app, I asked my client to log the hours on my behalf - he said he would enter then asked me to send him a request to log the hours.

Since I was still unable to log, I asked if he received to which he replied: " it will pay you automatically at the end of the week for 2 hours; after this we can just move to a project basis which is easier". 

Questions:

1. If on my end (freelancer) 0 hours logged on my time sheet, will I get paid at the end up the week, per his note? And if not should I let the clock run on my end and communicate to my client?

2. Will a new contract need to be set up if we convert it to a flat project fee?

Thank you!

Nicole

6 REPLIES 6
ArjayM

Hi Nicole,

We truly appreciate you reaching out and welcome to Upwork. 

For your first question, because we know you and your client might agree that adding manual time is important, we’ve built the ability to add manual hours to your Work Diary. You can communicate with the client for permission to add your worked hours manually in your tracker. Please note that manual time does not qualify for Hourly Payment Protection.

In answer to your second question, you can't essentially "convert" a contract from hourly to fixed-price. If you decided to switch, you would need to end the contract that you already have and start a new fixed-price contract. 

~ Arjay
Upwork
377b6aa6
Community Member

Thanks Arjay

The issue I'm having is that I sent him the request (twice now) becuase he agreed I can manually enter in my hours. He hasn't granted me access, when I inquired again his reply was:

it will pay you automatically at the end of the week for 2 hours; after this we can just move to a project basis which is easier". 

I still have 0 hours clocked, should I work an additional 2 hours clocked or should I wait at the end of the week to see if I get paid out?

Hi Nicole,

I thoroughly checked the contract. I can see that your client has set a 2 hrs per week max limit on the hours you can log on your contract. Your client may be confused, and it sounds like he’s referring to Weekly Payments, although I can confirm that there is no Weekly Payment set on this contract.

You can let the client know and share this information by grabbing the link from this reply. He can pay you through a bonus, or he can enable manual time so that he is automatically billed for the 2 hours you worked. Take note that bonuses and manual time are not payment protected.

~ Arjay
Upwork
377b6aa6
Community Member

Thank you for checking! How will I know if he entered in a bonus instead of enabling manual time?

~Nicole

Hello Nicole,

You will be notified if the client issues a bonus. It will be processed according to the Weekly Billing Cycle.

~ Arjay
Upwork
martina_plaschka
Community Member

It would be good to educate yourself how everything works. 

You asked the client to enter your hours. Now the client knows that you have no clue about upwork, because clients can't enter hours, only freelancers can. 

This can be detrimental to you, because now he can string you along with excuses and never pay you in the end. 

Ask him to pay by bonus, but know that bonuses are not payment-protected. Manual hours are also not payment protected. 

You put yourself into a bad situation, which could have been entirely avoided. 

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths