🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » More Clarification on Hourly Payments, Please...
Page options
mizmycoli
Community Member

More Clarification on Hourly Payments, Please?

Hello friends 🙂

I'll cut to the chase.

I wish to know how a job is officially submitted for hourly contracts. I have sent all my work via file attachments using the message feature, does that qualify? 

Unlike the fixed price contract where there's a tab for submission/approval request, I'm finding it a tad difficult locating something similar for hourly work.

I'm sure I'm missing something.

Help, pretty please Smiley Happy

Life and love is my religion. I believe that miracles are normal.
ACCEPTED SOLUTION
kat303
Community Member

@Ijeoma I wrote:

Hello friends 🙂

I'll cut to the chase.

I wish to know how a job is officially submitted for hourly contracts. I have sent all my work via file attachments using the message feature, does that qualify? 

Unlike the fixed price contract where there's a tab for submission/approval request, I'm finding it a tad difficult locating something similar for hourly work.

No, you're not missing anything. For hourly jobs, you get paid automatically after a certain number of days  The client doesn't need to fund escrow for fixed rate jobs. The amount owed to you is taken out of the clients card/bank  On fixed rate jobs, you have that button because it's the client that releases payment to you. On fixed rate jobs, a client deposits/funds escrow and that money is held until the client gets the work and releases payment. That button is there in case the client disappears after getting the work. Because you're not paid automatically, when you click on that button, Upwork will automatically release whatever is in escrow after 14 days.

You can deliver the completed work however the client and you are happy and in agreement with for either fixed rate or hourly jobs, but if it's a fixed rate job, remember to click on that button in case the client disappears, so you can get your payment.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
prestonhunter
Community Member

re: "I have sent all my work via file attachments using the message feature, does that qualify?"

That is irrelevent.

When you work using an hourly contract, you are paid for your time. You are not paid for deliverables.

Presumably you WILL provide the work to the client who hired you. Using the Upwork messenger tool is one way that you may do this.

But this is not the basis for payment. You are paid automatically based on the hours that you log.

Hi Preston,

Thank you for your response. 

However, isn't the whole essence of hiring someone to create an article for you using hourly rates all about "delivering" deliverables?

Life and love is my religion. I believe that miracles are normal.

You get paid based on the hours you tracked using the Upwork tracker.

HOW you delivered the work to the client is irrelevant (it is for fixes ratecontracts, too.)

kat303
Community Member

@Ijeoma I wrote:

Hello friends 🙂

I'll cut to the chase.

No, you're not missing anything. For hourly jobs, you get paid automatically after a certain number of days  The client doesn't need to fund escrow for fixed rate jobs. The amount owed to you is taken out of the clients card/bank  On fixed rate jobs, you have that button because it's the client that releases payment to you. On fixed rate jobs, a client deposits/funds escrow and that money is held until the client gets the work and releases payment. That button is there in case the client disappears after getting the work. Because you're not paid automatically, when you click on that button, Upwork will automatically release whatever is in escrow after 14 days.

You can deliver the completed work however the client and you are happy and in agreement with for either fixed rate or hourly jobs, but if it's a fixed rate job, remember to click on that button in case the client disappears, so you can get your payment.

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths