🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » New to Freelancing, need some guidance!
Page options
ba8ba56b
Community Member

New to Freelancing, need some guidance!

Hi Community! Hoping I can lean on your deep knowledge to help me with something. I am brand new to Upwork and Freelancing in general. Most of my skills are in HR/Recruiting, and I wanted to start out with something simple, resume edit/revision/format/etc. I've applied to a few proposals, and had one person reach out. They asked for examples of my work, which I provided, but then the person ghosted me. I'm feeling like I just gave away my work for free. So, my questions to this community are:

1) How do you showcase your work without literally giving away your work for free? Any best practices for a newbie?

2) What are the steps you take once someone has engaged with you about potentially starting the work?

Thanks in advance for the help!

2 REPLIES 2
ArjayM

Hi Natalie,

Thank you for reaching out and reporting these here in the Community. Please note that a real client will never ask you to give them money to start working, cash a check for them, work for free, or provide your personal information. We encourage you to let us know if a TOS violation has happened by using the Flag as Inappropriate option throughout the platform. You can learn more about user reporting here.

You may want to check this help article and this thread for more information on how to stay safe on Upwork.

~ Arjay
Upwork
arko1998
Community Member

Welcome to the world of freelancing! Here are some tips to help you navigate your new journey:

1. How to showcase your work without giving away your work for free:
  • Provide examples of your previous work, but be sure to remove any sensitive information or personally identifiable information (PII) from the documents. For instance, you could provide a redacted version of a resume or cover letter that you previously edited.
  • Consider creating a portfolio that showcases your skills, such as highlighting how you've helped past clients improve their job search success rates. You can use this portfolio as a reference when applying for jobs.
  • You can also write a blog post or create a video that showcases your skills and expertise. This not only demonstrates your abilities, but it also helps establish you as a thought leader in your industry.
  1. Steps to take once someone has engaged with you about potentially starting the work:
  • Ask them questions to clarify the scope of the project and their expectations. Make sure you fully understand the client's needs before committing to the project.
  • Set clear expectations and deadlines for the project. This will help ensure that both you and the client are on the same page regarding deliverables and timelines.
  • Establish a payment agreement before beginning work. Be sure to discuss payment terms and when payment is expected. Upwork provides payment protection for freelancers, so you can use the platform's payment tools to facilitate payment.

Remember, it's common to experience some bumps in the road as a new freelancer. Don't be discouraged by setbacks, and keep moving forward. Good luck!

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths