🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » Not Sure if Client is Legitimate
Page options
9d484d35
Community Member

Not Sure if Client is Legitimate

I was offered a position through a company but not sure if they are legit. The owner sent me an email asking me for my name, address, and phone number so he could forward me the paperwork via express messenger.

He also mentioned that he would need my direct deposit information. There's nothing to indicate that I won the bid. When I checked the proposals, the job had vanished.

Also, this is what was put in my letter towards the end word for word:

Testing your efficiency for this week is to be in charge of supervision and ensuring the purchase and delivery of your working materials. A payment in the form of a Direct Deposit will be issued to you by my financial manager to take care of the expenses. More information on the task will be communicated to you for further instruction.

Please assist. Thanks.

2 REPLIES 2
1b3d8875
Community Member

by looking at the way they communicate with you

prestonhunter
Community Member

re: "He also mentioned that he would need my direct deposit information."

This is a scammer who is trying to steal money from your bank account.

re: "The owner sent me an email asking me for my name, address, and phone number so he could forward me the paperwork via express messenger."

It is a violation of Upwork ToS for a client and freelancer to communicate via email prior to an official contract being in place.

If you provided your email address to this client, then you violated Upwork ToS. You could be suspended for doing that.

re: "Testing your efficiency for this week is to be in charge of supervision and ensuring the purchase and delivery of your working materials. A payment in the form of a Direct Deposit will be issued to you by my financial manager to take care of the expenses. More information on the task will be communicated to you for further instruction."

Only a scammer says things like this.

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths