🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » OMG I'm paying for a job in USD???? (not Aust...
Page options
34d93368
Community Member

OMG I'm paying for a job in USD???? (not Australian)

OMG I've just overpaid where did it say USD?? - One very expensive AUD job

Where does it alert you?

Can I contact freelancer and explain I agreed to AUD 200 not USD 200??

5 REPLIES 5
AveryO
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Nic, 

Clients have the option to pay in their local currency and you may read more about this in this help article

We apologise for the inconvenience. The default currency of the platform is in US dollars, hence, all the rates and budgets are in USD as stated in this help article.

~ Avery
Upwork
cupidmedia
Community Member

@Nic s wrote:

OMG I've just overpaid where did it say USD?? - One very expensive AUD job

Where does it alert you?

Can I contact freelancer and explain I agreed to AUD 200 not USD 200??

Any agreement you've made with your freelancer was for USD. The only prices on the site are USD. If you don't want to pay that much, you should IMMEDIATELY contact your freelancer and advise them not to work on the job (I'm assuming  this was a fixed price job). If you close the job, the freelancer will be asked to approve the refund request, which they should do if they haven't started work. However, they may not be interested in doing the job for only ~$150, and you may need to find another freelancer.

I'm a fellow Australian client and I've been here since 2012 but I never assumed the price was AUD. In fact, any purchase I make online for anything, both work and personal, that just says the currency is $ I assume that's $USD unless proven otherwise. But you're the second person I've seen recently with the same problem. So Avery, maybe this is something Upwork needs to look at clarifying more.

<reply deleted>

785f4cfc
Community Member

I've just had the same thing happen to me.

The Upwork website seems almost wilfully deceptive on this. There is no reference to USD ANYWHERE on the site, except for one reference to a fee for working with your freelancer off the platform.

Other comprable platforms are much more explicit if charging in anything other than local currency.

I'm VERY disappointed with Upwork on this. I would really appreciate it if Upwork would work with me to remedy this.

Andrew

Andrew O wrote:

I've just had the same thing happen to me.

The Upwork website seems almost wilfully deceptive on this. There is no reference to USD ANYWHERE on the site, except for one reference to a fee for working with your freelancer off the platform.

Other comprable platforms are much more explicit if charging in anything other than local currency.

I'm VERY disappointed with Upwork on this. I would really appreciate it if Upwork would work with me to remedy this.

Andrew

The whole world acknowledges $ as USD only, except for Australia and Canada. If you see .com on a website, you are seeing USD most of the time.

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths