🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » Phone number verification on new account
Page options
g_panovski
Community Member

Phone number verification on new account

Good Afternoon, 

I am a new user on Upwork that is planning to work as a freelancer while I am traveling abroad. I am trying to set up the new account so it goes to Upwork for approval but I am stuck on the phone verification page.

Since I am currently abroad and do not use my US phone number anymore; is there any  other way to do a verification? I can provide the local phone number I am using but it is not a US number.

Thank you in advance for your time and effort.

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
BojanS
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi George,

One of our team members will reach out to you directly to assist you with your concern. 

If you are travelling and are away from your country of residence temporarily, you don’t need to update your location. If it does raise any flags on our end, the team will reach out to you directly.  If however, you are going to be away for an extended period, such as moving some place, then you should make updates to your account location. Please make sure you have an appropriate visa type or permit to work in a country you are situated in and pay taxes accordingly. You may need to consult with a legal advisor about it.

Thank you.

~ Bojan
Upwork

View solution in original post

46 REPLIES 46

Hi Samantha,

Our team will reach out to you as well and assist you further with your verification. Thank you.

~ Goran
Upwork

I am having the same problem. Do you know if it is system wide, or should I wait for support to reach out?

Kaila

Hi David and Kaila,

One of our team members will reach out and assist you directly in verifying your phone numbers. Thank you!

~ Joanne
Upwork
ptippner
Community Member

Hi there!  I am new to Upwork in the process of setting up my profile.  I am currently not residing in the US, and therefore without access to my US phone. My permanent address is in the US and I am legally setup to work in the country where I currently reside, but I am stuck in the "create your Profile" screen on the phone verification step, and even though I was able to update my number and send the verification code to my current number abroad earlier from my settings page, the phone verification screen continues to require a US number.  Can someone please contact me about this?  Thanks so much!!

Hi Paola,

Thanks for reaching out. It is important that you provide your current location when creating your profile. Since you're currently outside of the US, then you must provide the address of where you are currently residing. You can update your location once you're back in the US.

As confirmed by our team, your country has been updated, and you should now be able to update your address and phone number. If you need further assistance, please let us know. 

~ Joanne
Upwork
dave230
Community Member

Me too....From the UK but currently in the USA... Stuck in the loop of SMS verification for a new account.

Please help!

cafe922a
Community Member

really need help. I have been trying for hours to get my number verified. I even tried other family members numbers. It keeps refusing to send me the verification codes. Thank you!

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths