🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » Popular scam on Upwork | Explained and Expose...
Page options
951f454d
Community Member

Popular scam on Upwork | Explained and Exposed | How it works

Hello guys,
I saw a lot of scam posts on Upwork, so I've decided to expose one of them. I hope this video will help someone to not get scammed, I saw a lot of people there asking if a job is legit or not.
Please, be careful out there.

**Edited for Community Guidelines**

13 REPLIES 13
prestonhunter
Community Member

Before the link to the video was removed, I had a chance to see it on YouTube.

The video is still there. Clearly it doesn't violate YouTube rules.

A lot of effort went into creating the video. It is very informative.

It would not bother me at all if Upwork allowed the link to remain.

It wouldn't bother me if Upwork officially promoted videos like this as a way to help freelancers avoid getting scammed.

I'm really surprised the link to the video was removed.

The video is very informative and can certainly help many people learn how to recognize scam fake jobs.

Hi, thank you for your feedback.

Since Upwork doesn't allow links, you can still find it on YouTube by typing "PDF to WORD scam upwork".

Video was created for Upwork freelancers to be more careful, not to harm Upwork.

roberty1y
Community Member

Link removed to video advising people on how to avoid scams. Thanks, Upwork. 

Perhaps Upwork should take the next step and post a pro-scam video.

feed_my_eyes
Community Member

Why was this link removed? It was very detailed and informative. Other people have posted blatantly promotional stuff in the forum - which this wasn't - so why delete it?

If I understand it correctly, it was removed because names were shown and not blured.

I did not blured it because these names are fake anyway.
Video from YouTube is not removed, just from this post.

christopherbudde
Community Member

What is the scam?

When you finish your work, these people will ask for a "TAX FEE".

Now you can imagine working on a project for a month and after that, you will get scammed for this fake "TAX FEE" and never see your payment.

Never accept any offers outside of Upwork, a lot of people will DM you their Telegram / WhatsApp.
Not only it's against guidelines but also a scam.

Scammers are not patient. They don't let people work for a month before the scam starts. In any case, I watched your video and it's well-made and demonstrates how and why people fall for scams.

I just had my first work here in upwork, it was a transcription work,  they asked me for the same "tax fee" for $1000 dls. 😞 It's really sad bc we're trying here to have a nice experience and get some jobs.

I've been looking for more transcription works and I'm finding the same dinamic: Telegram messages, and then "tax fee" so they can pay me. 

ArjayM

Hi dear Members,

We totally understand how informative and helpful the video is. However, please note that including names of persons or companies (or other identifying information) in an accusation of misconduct, incompetence, or other wrongdoing isn't allowed. You can always report this information directly to Upwork if you suspect an issue, but posting it in the Community is not appropriate and it's against the Community Guidelines. We would appreciate your cooperation and utmost understanding.

~ Arjay
Upwork
951f454d
Community Member

Understood, Arjay.

Since all informantion given by these people are fake, they are not blured.
My bad for posting it without reading your Community Guidelines.

When I saw there are 15 proposals on that job, I wanted to warn other people because as we can see, they are applying.

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths