🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » Possible scam or UpWork deficiency?
Page options
e0cb5aaf
Community Member

Possible scam or UpWork deficiency?

Hi!  I am new to UpWork and haven't yet gotten a confirmed hire/offer.  I submitted a proposal to do proofreading and editing on a memoir which the Client liked, and after 'interviewing' said she would hire me.  I keep waiting for the offer to come through so I can accept it. 

We're nearly a week in.

The client insists that she paid the fees and clicked on the Hire button.  She even sent me a screenshot of the dialogue box that showed she had paid the fees.  I told her that I shouldn't start the work without the contract/offer.  She offered to send me the fee via PayPal.  I refused.

We continue to correspond via the approved messenger.  Lately, she has asked me to send her my personal email address so she could forward it to the third party who will be taking my work on her memoir to completion and publication.

Does UpWork take significant time to process 'offers'?

I am obviously concerned, but I don't want to walk away if this is a 'platform' shortcoming.

Thanks for your input.

RB

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
ArjayM

Hi Rubert Bruce,

Thank you for reaching out and reporting this here in the Community. You did the right thing not providing your personal/contact information to a client without a contract being established. I can also confirm that there's no existing offer for you on the job you're referring to.

I would like to reiterate that sharing contact information before a contract has started is against Upwork's Terms of Service and that all communications prior to the contract starting must take place on Upwork. We encourage you to let us know if you find anything suspicious has happened by using the Flag as Inappropriate option throughout the platform. You can learn more about user reporting here.

You may want to check this help article and this thread for more information on how to stay safe on Upwork.

~ Arjay
Upwork

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
ArjayM

Hi Rubert Bruce,

Thank you for reaching out and reporting this here in the Community. You did the right thing not providing your personal/contact information to a client without a contract being established. I can also confirm that there's no existing offer for you on the job you're referring to.

I would like to reiterate that sharing contact information before a contract has started is against Upwork's Terms of Service and that all communications prior to the contract starting must take place on Upwork. We encourage you to let us know if you find anything suspicious has happened by using the Flag as Inappropriate option throughout the platform. You can learn more about user reporting here.

You may want to check this help article and this thread for more information on how to stay safe on Upwork.

~ Arjay
Upwork
feed_my_eyes
Community Member

No, it doesnt take any time to process an offer - if a client sends you an offer, you'll instantly be notified and then you need to accept it. The offer should appear right on the same message board where you've been communicating with the client. You can ask your client to try hitting the hire button again, or have her contact support. 

cf05215b
Community Member

It's not uncommon for there to be delays in the hiring process on Upwork, but it's important to ensure that you're following the platform's guidelines to protect yourself and your work. Here are a few things to consider in your situation:

1. **Contract and Offer:** Upwork usually processes offers relatively quickly. However, sometimes there can be delays, and it's possible that the client might have experienced an issue during the hiring process. It's also possible that there are verification or payment issues on the client's end that need to be resolved.

2. **Payment and Contracts:** As a best practice, you should always wait for the official contract offer through Upwork. Starting work without an active contract can be risky and may not be covered by Upwork's payment protection policies.

3. **Client's Payment:** The client's payment and the contract should be handled through Upwork's platform. It's a red flag if the client is asking to send payment via PayPal or any other method outside of Upwork. This not only goes against Upwork's terms of service, but it also bypasses the platform's security and payment protection features.

4. **Sharing Personal Information:** Be cautious about sharing personal email addresses with clients. Upwork provides a secure messaging system for communication, and sharing personal information outside of the platform may also be against Upwork's policies.

Given the situation, it's advisable to communicate with the client through Upwork and request that they reach out to Upwork's customer support to resolve any issues with the contract and payment. Be patient and avoid taking any actions that could put you at risk or jeopardize the security and protection that Upwork provides to freelancers and clients.

If the client insists on proceeding outside of Upwork, it's a potential red flag, and you should exercise caution. It's crucial to prioritize your own security and adhere to Upwork's terms and conditions to ensure a safe and professional freelancing experience.

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths