🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » Profile Feedback
Page options
willstafford
Community Member

Profile Feedback

Good evening, Upwork community!

I'm new to Upwork and am working on fine-tuning my Upwork profile in hopes of attracting my first clients soon. I would appreciate any valuable feedback members can share that I can use to improve my profile.and jump start my freelancing venture!

https://www.upwork.com/fl/willstafford4

Thank you for your time and effort.

Will S.

ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@Phyllis G wrote:

Welcome to Upwork, Will!

I think you are well qualified but I don't know because I'll never read your wall of text. This is short-attention-span theater. Furthermore, prospective clients only see the first 1-2 lines of your profile unless they click it open. So you have a fraction of a second to grab their attention enough to make them pause. Once they do, most will scan for a few seconds before scrolling further or moving on. That's your window of opportunity. My advice: boil it down to the bullets. You don't have to use bullet point format, necessarily, but focus on that level of conciseness.

Second that! I opened Will's profile, scanned it, wanted to write something nice, but then had to admit to myself that I had been physically unable to make myself read it through to the end... yep. Be more concise. 

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
gilbert-phyllis
Community Member

Welcome to Upwork, Will!

I think you are well qualified but I don't know because I'll never read your wall of text. This is short-attention-span theater. Furthermore, prospective clients only see the first 1-2 lines of your profile unless they click it open. So you have a fraction of a second to grab their attention enough to make them pause. Once they do, most will scan for a few seconds before scrolling further or moving on. That's your window of opportunity. My advice: boil it down to the bullets. You don't have to use bullet point format, necessarily, but focus on that level of conciseness.

@Phyllis G wrote:

Welcome to Upwork, Will!

Second that! I opened Will's profile, scanned it, wanted to write something nice, but then had to admit to myself that I had been physically unable to make myself read it through to the end... yep. Be more concise. 

Martina,

Thank you for your input as well. Just to follow up with you on what I also commented to Phyllis, I've basically taken all of that text in my bio and condensed it to these few sentences. It all stays within the text field where viewers don't even have to expand it to read it all.

"I'm proud to offer 13 years of experience as an award-winning professional in the fields of media relations, public relations, and social media management. My work has earned acclaim in the areas of communications, social media strategy, feature writing, and brand management. With a Bachelor of Arts degree in journalism and Master's degree, I now specialize in online marketing, social media management, content creation, branding, feature and article writing, and customer service with small businesses and emerging entrepreneurs."

This is exactly what I'm looking for. I'm glad to accept any constructive criticism from anyone and am in no way offended by anything anyone has to say.

Thanks again for the feedback!

Thanks for the feedback!

I've basically taken all of that text and condensed it to these few sentences. It all stays within the text field where viewers don't even have to expand it to read it all.

"I'm proud to offer 13 years of experience as an award-winning professional in the fields of media relations, public relations, and social media management. My work has earned acclaim in the areas of communications, social media strategy, feature writing, and brand management. With a Bachelor of Arts degree in journalism and Master's degree, I now specialize in online marketing, social media management, content creation, branding, feature and article writing, and customer service with small businesses and emerging entrepreneurs."

This is exactly what I'm looking for. I'm glad to accept any constructive criticism from anyone and am in no way offended by anything anyone has to say.

Thanks again for the feedback!

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths