🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » Question regarding potential client's request...
Page options
2aba27b8
Community Member

Question regarding potential client's request to take a test before project

Hello Upwork community,

As a new freelancer on Upwork, I have had the opportunity to engage in interviews for potential projects with clients. I'm grateful for these opportunities. However, I've encountered a situation that has left me uncertain.

Many clients have requested me to complete a test related to the project before making a decision. While I have completed these tests and sent them via the messaging feature, I have not received any response from the clients. There has been no feedback provided, and I haven't been informed whether I performed the test correctly or demonstrated my ability to handle the project successfully.

This situation has raised concerns for me. I'm wondering if it's a common practice for clients to provide the actual project as a sample test without actually compensating the freelancer. In other words, are clients using these test samples to get their work done without paying the freelancer?

I would greatly appreciate any insights or advice from the Upwork community regarding this matter. Thank you for your time and assistance.

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
3bc53a90
Community Member

I believe I have read on other posts that this is a common way that clients are getting free work.  I wouldn't take a proficiency test that involved a "sample" for that reason.  I might be ok taking a proficiency test that is multiple choice, yes/no etc, but not a work sample because it could just end up as free work.

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
3bc53a90
Community Member

I believe I have read on other posts that this is a common way that clients are getting free work.  I wouldn't take a proficiency test that involved a "sample" for that reason.  I might be ok taking a proficiency test that is multiple choice, yes/no etc, but not a work sample because it could just end up as free work.

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths