cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Refer a friend

Brenda B Member Since: Apr 21, 2017
1 of 23

Does Upwork have a refer a friend or a referral program?

Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
2 of 23

There is no program.

If you have a friend who you think might benefit from using Upwork, then simply tell her about it.

Highlighted
Melinda M Member Since: Apr 21, 2017
3 of 23

Thanks for asking this question. I was wondering as well as I'm always recommending Upwork. I may move to another platform that does have an referal/affiliate program.

Community Guru
Tiffany S Member Since: Jan 15, 2016
4 of 23

It's unlikely that Upwork will introduce a referral program for freelancers, because there are far too many freelancers in most categories. In fact, Upwork has recently taken steps to weed out freelancers.

If you're more interested in the ability to get some kind of credit for telling your friends than the quality and quantity of work available on the site, you might be better suited to multi-level marketing than freelancing.

5 of 23

Hi Tiffany,

Wow! You make an awful lot of ridiculous assumptions here, Is that your specialty here on Upwork? I asked a simple and honest question with no intentions implied. There are many many reputable work sites that have referral or Refer a friend programs. 

I don't need to explain anything to you but I will explain my intentions to the rest of the readers. First of all, I don't consider myself a freelancer. I have just started a Virtual Assistant business and I have found some good opportunites that I am working towards here on Upwork. I don't consider myself a freelancer although by definition everyone here doing jobs on Upwork is a freelancer.

A freelancer or freelance worker is a term commonly used for a person who is self-employed and is not necessarily committed to a particular employer long-term. 

I realize how much competition there is for jobs here. I see the numbers. 

I find the folowing comments insulting and unneccessary:

"If you're more interested in the ability to get some kind of credit for telling your friends than the quality and quantity of work available on the site, you might be better suited to multi-level marketing than freelancing."

How do you know what my interntions are? I have a few friends who like the site and have some skills that some of the job opportunites could use. I thought ft there was a Refer a freind program, I would send them a link. How does that translate to my being greedy and only interest in getting credit for telling my friends?  How does that imply that I am not interested in the quality and the quanity of work available? I would not even refer a friend if I knew they were not able to offer anything to Upwork. They would "weed" themselves out.

I think your comments are way off base when all I needed was a "yes, we have one" or "no, we don't have one" was sufficient. I didn't your attitude and your insulting comments. 

Have a nice day. 

Community Guru
Tiffany S Member Since: Jan 15, 2016
6 of 23

Brenda, I'm really sorry you didn't bother to read the post above mine before taking the time to write that novella in response to the comment I made to someone else.

In my world, that's a $90-120 post you've written.

I didn't read past the opening line about assumptions, but did want to clarify that I was responding to the comment immediately above mine, in which the poster clearly stated (see, no assumptions here!) that she was considering leaving Upwork for a platform with an affiliate/referral program.

7 of 23

Perhaps in the future you should make sure you clarify the target of your post.  Nevertheless, whether it was directed at me or someone else. it was not neccessary to degrade someone for their interests or ideas. I did read all the posts. However, I did not take offense or make assumptions about what she wrote or what her intentions are. Believe me, I do not mean any disrespect to you or anyone else here on Upwork. I just don't like to see assumptions made without facts behind them. 

Community Guru
Kat C Member Since: Jul 11, 2016
8 of 23

@Brenda B wrote:

Hi Tiffany,

Wow! You make an awful lot of ridiculous assumptions here, Is that your specialty here on Upwork? I asked a simple and honest question with no intentions implied. There are many many reputable work sites that have referral or Refer a friend programs. 

I don't need to explain anything to you but I will explain my intentions to the rest of the readers. First of all, I don't consider myself a freelancer. I have just started a Virtual Assistant business and I have found some good opportunites that I am working towards here on Upwork. I don't consider myself a freelancer although by definition everyone here doing jobs on Upwork is a freelancer.

A freelancer or freelance worker is a term commonly used for a person who is self-employed and is not necessarily committed to a particular employer long-term. 

I realize how much competition there is for jobs here. I see the numbers. 

I find the folowing comments insulting and unneccessary:

"If you're more interested in the ability to get some kind of credit for telling your friends than the quality and quantity of work available on the site, you might be better suited to multi-level marketing than freelancing."

How do you know what my interntions are? I have a few friends who like the site and have some skills that some of the job opportunites could use. I thought ft there was a Refer a freind program, I would send them a link. How does that translate to my being greedy and only interest in getting credit for telling my friends?  How does that imply that I am not interested in the quality and the quanity of work available? I would not even refer a friend if I knew they were not able to offer anything to Upwork. They would "weed" themselves out.

I think your comments are way off base when all I needed was a "yes, we have one" or "no, we don't have one" was sufficient. I didn't your attitude and your insulting comments. 

Have a nice day. 

Interesting....

If you're taking jobs on a per project basis, and you're not directly employed by the person or company who is paying you to complete the project, are you not a freelancer?

Even if you state "I'm an independent contractor," isn't that freelancing?

I own a business as well -- my business is working as an independent contractor for particular clients. Ergo, I'm a freelancer.

9 of 23

Didn't I just say that? I don't consider myself just a freelancer but we are all freelancers by definition. I agree with you.

Community Guru
Kat C Member Since: Jul 11, 2016
10 of 23

No.

You didn't.

That's why I'm asking (politely, actually) for you to clarify your definition of a "freelancer" given the contradiction in your statement. 

That's all Smiley Wink

You say you don't consider yourself a freelancer (which, I understand from a purely individual psychological point of view, we can all consider ourselves as either in a classification or not).

But, here you are, taking projects as an independent contractor on a freelancing platform. 

Though I can't speak for everyone on the platform, many of us aren't "just" freelancers. This is but a single dimension of the multi-dimensional aspects of being human. 

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS