🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » Requested Refund
Page options
thebaldone
Community Member

Requested Refund

I am not entire sure how to best handle this situation or what happens now.

I have a client who requested 800 words with a fast turnaround time. I was given a word doc that was supposed to have all the information required.

The word doc only contained what looked like a sales copy for a commercial, with very little real information (including no address). I messaged the client and asked for the website so I could get more information twice. The first time the client just responded "[COMPANY NAME]".

I had already attempted to google the site myself but no exactly matching URLs or site names popped up.

After I received no response for the second request for a website, I informed the client that I would not be able to complete work without the site and received no response to that either.

Today the client ended the contract (still with no more communication) and requested a refund.

I am not entirely sure I should issue one, because the client failed to contact me or give me the proper information/resources and I do not want to lose money for something that wasn't my fault.

I am also not sure I should deny the refund, since I did not do any writing, even if I did spend time attempting to.

I am also afraid the client will be able to rate me badly for something that wasn't my fault.

What should I do?
2 REPLIES 2
prestonhunter
Community Member

re: "Today the client ended the contract (still with no more communication) and requested a refund."

The client has every right to request a refund. I believe that from the client's perspective... The client hired a freelancer to do a straightforward task, but the freelancer did not do that task.

I believe you should spend no more time thinking about this project. Simply agree to a complete refund. If you do that, then this project will not be shown on your public profile page in any way. There will be no public feedback.

I believe that you are a serious, sincere, conscientious freelancer. But this was NOT a good match between freelancer and client/project.

Thank you!
Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths