🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » Returning to Upwork - low rating?! Help!
Page options
klionheart
Community Member

Returning to Upwork - low rating?! Help!

I'm returning to Upwork and freelance since I had a medical emergency a few years ago that left me in a bad place for some time (I was in a car accident and had to take physical therapy for weeks and it took months for me to recover). Clients who I had been working with at the time fell through and left negative reviews which affected my approval rating despite my attempts to reach back to them and explain my situation. Now I'm trying to build myself back up. I've taken all the time I needed to finally heal and get back on the horse but it's been so difficult to get anyone to hire me. Does anyone have any suggestions for me to increase my rating? Or am I just screwed to forever be at the bottom of the barrel? Any and all suggestions would be great, I'm trying so hard not to get discouraged. I've worked on my portfolio, polished all my samples and information and after sending over 50 proposals I still haven't heard back and I'm down to my last connects. Please help!

1 REPLY 1
MichaelJ
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Kat,

Welcome back! It sounds like you went through quite the ordeal and I'm glad you're feeling better. 

As for your concerns, I see you received low public feedback on one contract, but the vast majority of your feedback is positive. You do not currently have a Job Success Score at all so there isn't a concern there. Your most recent contract was more than 2 years ago so it would not factor into your JSS even when you do earn one.

Ultimately, I think your best option is to simply push forward. I can promise you that you're not at the "bottom of the barrel" with only one bad review. 

Cheers,
Mike
Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths