🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » Scam
Page options
da662653
Community Member

Scam

I am new to UpWork, I just got a message from a client a few houre ago and she would like to discuss their project by zoom. Is this okay?

2 REPLIES 2
colettelewis
Community Member

It's only OK if the Zoom call is via Upwork. You just need to bear in mind that any communication with a client outside Upwork, before you have a formal Upwork contract in place is a violation of the site's terms of service, and you risk having your account suspended. As a newcomer you need to be particularly vigilant, as scammers lie in wait for new, unwary freelancers. If this client contacted you without your having sent in a proposal, then I think you should just give it a miss - or at least keep your messaging well within Upwork's boundaries. 

ETA: Brianna, I have just looked at your profile, and I am concerned that you are not sure what you are getting yourself into, and  I really believe, that freelancing on this sort of site might not be for you. If you really are a competent typist, I am sure you could find plenty of paid freelance work at home within your own community.  I am worried that you might fall victim to some unscrupulous scammer. Please read all there is to know about this site before you even bid for a job. A good place to start is to read the links given in the first post of this thread: https://community.upwork.com/t5/Freelancers/To-all-freelancers-looking-for-help/td-p/1222058 

ArjayM

Hi Brianna,

We certainly understand how alarming this is for you. However, please note that Upwork Messages contract rooms have built-in video and voice call service via Zoom, with screen sharing capability. With that said, it's totally fine to discuss the project details with your client via Zoom. Learn more about video and voice calls here.

~ Arjay
Upwork
Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths