🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » Scam?
Page options
c4888a67
Community Member

Scam?

Hi, 

I'm new to Upwork. I got an offer today on a position. It seems like a legit offer on the surface but they're doing everything through Skype and not going through the Upwork site. Is this normal? Below are the email and offer letter. Should I proceed?

**Edited for Community Guidelines**

8 REPLIES 8
74a4afba
Community Member

Hey Ace,

My understanding is the terms of service state all transactions, all communications, should go through the Uppwork platform. I received a similar invitation, and just thought it might be a violation. I reported it, and the job was removed. Report it. If it's legit (there are some clients who have approved status to invite freelancers offline), then no harm no foul. If it's not, then it'll be removed... saving the entire community the headache.

Hope this helps,

Hammer

Scammers are adept at praying on us where we're most vulnerable... and seeking jobs is one of those intersections. 

elisa_b
Community Member

All transactions should be made on Upwork, but once a contract is in place, it is possible to communicate also using other channels.

The point is scammers will try to shift the communication outside of Upwork from the very beginning, so this is usually a big red light.

This might be of help: https://community.upwork.com/t5/Courses/Staying-Safe-on-Upwork/ta-p/1082392 

How do I report it?

Hi Ace,

James and Elisa are correct! Sharing contact information before a contract has started is against Upwork's Terms of Service and that all communications prior to the contract starting must take place on Upwork.

We encourage you to let us know if you find anything suspicious has happened by using the Flag as Inappropriate option throughout the platform. You can learn more about user reporting here. In addition to Elisa's shared article, you may want to check this thread for more information on how to stay safe on Upwork. 

~ Arjay
Upwork
74a4afba
Community Member

Hey Arjay,

What recourse does a freelancer have if they address this with a client and are then given a poor review as a result? Are we covered if we have reported the job post?

Hi James,

Yes, you are! If a job was flagged and proven that they've violated Upwork's TOS, negative/poor reviews will not be counted on your feedback and JSS.

~ Arjay
Upwork
74a4afba
Community Member

Thanks Arjay!

Since we're in a thread about scammers trying to take freelancers offline, I noticed there are clients, "Enterprise Clients," who are authorized to do so in certain circumstances. Can you elaborate on Enterprise Clients, how to recognize them, and what it might look like for them to request services off-platform?

Thanks, James

Hi James,

Upwork clients on Enterprise plans are the only groups exempt from this rule. These users may share or request contact information and may conduct communication, outside of Upwork before a contract is started. That said, please keep in mind that this refers only to communications, not contracts or services. You can find this information in this help article.

~Andrea
Upwork
Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths