🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » Starting New Projects With Beginner Skills
Page options
drethatechgeek
Community Member

Starting New Projects With Beginner Skills

So I just got done attending a Upwork: Live and Interactive Webinar on getting started  and I wanted to know right away when finding a client that needs someone that can complete a project with a certain skill such as "graphic design" should I find clients that will take someone with beginner to intermediate skills just to start, or should wait and take the time to better my skill sets?

2 REPLIES 2
martina_plaschka
Community Member

Andre S wrote:

So I just got done attending a Upwork: Live and Interactive Webinar on getting started  and I wanted to know right away when finding a client that needs someone that can complete a project with a certain skill such as "graphic design" should I find clients that will take someone with beginner to intermediate skills just to start, or should wait and take the time to better my skill sets?

No client will hire a freelancer that advertises beginner skills. This is not the place to learn, you must have a marketable skill to be successful here. If you ever in your lifetime plan to get more serious about working online here, don't squander your chances now, as you can only have one upwork profile ever. You put your profile already at risk with your pic. 

colettelewis
Community Member

Andre S wrote:

Adding to what Martina has said: 

This is not just aimed at the OP.

If, as a beginner, you want to be accepted as a serious freelancer on Upwork (or anywhere), you have to first understand how it works. So you start by reading the terms and conditions and all the help pages.

Apart from the fact that baby pics are against the ToS. Nobody, but nobody, is interested in other people's babies. And clients particularly do not want baby pics  because you are a  beginner. 

When you are starting out, you have to be convinced from the outset by your own accumulated skills - wherever they were accumulatred - you have to know how to convince a client and that you can deliver. If you have a doubt, or think you can learn on the job - forget it. 

And don't chance it ...learn first. 

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths