🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » Re: Terms of Service
Page options
473dcfcd
Community Member

Terms of Service

How do I find out why my job posting keeps getting cancelled without having to read/research the ENTIRE terms of service?? I'm super frustrated. Their email says they will close my account if I keep posting jobs that "violate their terms" but I don't know what I did wrong and I think they already charged me. I'm just following instructions the best I can and it's not working!

6 REPLIES 6
joansands
Community Member

Are you asking for free work?

florydev
Community Member

Without seeing the job post it is hard to know but I can tell you the primary reason I flag a job as inappropriate its because they are asking for free work.  They either talk about giving ownership in a company (which likely does not exist) or having you do some work to prove yourself first.   That's not how Upwork works.

Anything asking for contact information as part of a proposal is very likely to get flagged. 

On occasion I have flagged it when the job is crazy unrealistic.  It's very subjective though so a much tougher call to make.

prestonhunter
Community Member

You DO NOT NEED to read the entire TOS in order to post a job. If you are having trouble, just tell us what you are trying to post here in the Forum. We can help you figure out a way to post you jobs.

Preston H wrote:
You DO NOT NEED to read the entire TOS in order to post a job. If you are having trouble, just tell us what you are trying to post here in the Forum. We can help you figure out a way to post you jobs.

Well this is true. If the OP gave more detail about the job he posted then he would get more idea in the forum of what he did to get zapped. However to tell someone that they "do not need to read the entire ToS in order to post a job", is bad advice. Everyone should read the Terms of Service. They are not just some whimsical article written by an outsourced freelancer. It is Upwork's fundamental structure, whatever anyone thinks of them. They are there to be read and reconsulted, by both client and freelancer. 

Does the OP sign other contracts (because this is what one does when joining Upwork) without reading the small print? 

Nichola:

I agree with you that it is a good idea for clients to read the Terms of Service.

But you have to admit, there's a lot of content there.

Neither you nor I are under any illusion that every client is going to read through all of that before posting jobs and hiring freelancers.

Real nuts-and-bolts truth: I would imagine that all of us who work as Upwork freelancers regularly have worked for clients who haven't read the entire ToS, and who may not have read any of it at all. Is that a potential recipe for disaster if the clients hire bad freelancers or post jobs without knowing how Upwork works?

Yes, definitely.

But if clients hire you, or if they hire me, we are going to do what we can to ensure that they have a positive experience despite having not read the ToS. As with other businesses, it is nice if the clients/customers know all of the ToS details. But is far more important that the employees, or "platform representatives" (freelancers), know the rules.

Anonymous-User
Not applicable

Sydney B wrote:

How do I find out why my job posting keeps getting cancelled without having to read/research the ENTIRE terms of service?? I'm super frustrated. Their email says they will close my account if I keep posting jobs that "violate their terms" but I don't know what I did wrong and I think they already charged me. I'm just following instructions the best I can and it's not working!

Clearly, your post was removed multiple times for violation. Start a CS ticket. UW isn't going to respond publicly to protect your privacy. 

Another reason why clients should have an entrance exam before posting jobs. 

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths