🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » Re: Tips for finding that first job
Page options
Andrea G Community Manager

Tips for finding that first job

Hi all,

Welcome to the Upwork Community! We know landing that first contract can be challenging, so we built Upwork Academy and threads like this to help you get started. With a lot of resources and so little time, we wanted to put together some recommendations for you to check out first:

Do you have a specific question or maybe a tip to offer? Reply to this post and share your question, advice, or words of inspiration!

~Andrea
ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Andrea G Community Manager

Hi all,

This thread has been closed from further replies due to its size. We appreciate your participation in the Community and welcome you to continue the conversation on this new thread.

Thank you!

~Andrea

View solution in original post

1,767 REPLIES 1,767
Dinesh K Community Member

Hi 

I am new to Upwork, please help me to get any Mendix Project to start my upwork journey. I am Mendix Intermediate Certified.

Joanne P Moderator

Hi Dinesh,

Welcome to the Upwork Community! This is where you can ask and answer questions, browse topics, socialize, learn, network with other members, and stay updated about Upwork's latest news.
As a community member, you can also share your feedback on existing features and suggest new ones. If you have any ideas to improve your experience on Upwork, don't hesitate to share them here!
To help you get started on Upwork, we recommend checking out the following Upwork Academy courses:
Additionally, we encourage you to sign up for upcoming events and webinars to enhance your success on Upwork.
We hope these resources will be valuable to you as you embark on your Upwork journey.
~ Joanne
Upwork
Kaleab K Community Member

Hi, 

I have been trying to get a gig as a Web Developer on upwork and I have applied to over 12 jobs on upwork but my proposal are not even being viewed. i don't understand why, if it was proposal quality i would atleast get views on my proposal but that is not the case. perhaps i should be more selective to the job posts i apply to if so how can i identify the relieable jobs.

Josephine O Community Member

How do I land a job offer. I am new here

Helen A Community Member

Hey! I'm new to UpWork but super excited to be here and see where this platform takes me. 

I have a love for content creation and hoping to peruse this passion further. 

Any tips or tricks for getting my first collaboration are greatly appreciated:)

William T C Community Member

Helen,

Congrats on joining! Click the above Academy link for Upwork success tips.

Ashutosh K Community Member

FIRSTLY  WATCH THE CONTENT AND UNDERSTAND THE CONTENT AND GIVE THE REPLY AS PER GIVEN 

https://www.upwork.com/ab/flservices/workwith/ashutoshk55

David S Community Member

What kind of spam is this?

Why shold I give you personal information?

This probably violates Upworks regulations in some way!

Umer B Community Member

Do you think that upwork connects are too expensive for beginners?

David S Community Member

Nope! Everyone should have to pay to play.

Anderson N Community Member

Please how  do I secure my first  job at upwork all my proposals are being declined

Some should pleaseeee come to my aid as I need to work

Anderson 

Shahid H Community Member

What are the best practices that makes a winning proposal.

Zubair Ahmad G Community Member

Dear Sir,

Please help me get work at upwork. Also let me know if I need to change anything in my profile.

Tania P Community Member

Hey there,

I'm new in upwork but unfortunately didnt received any ivitation for job. Anyone can help me ?

Faizan F Community Member

I have sent many proposals and applied to numerous projects, even with high bids. However, for some time now, my proposals are neither being viewed nor accepted, despite having a verified profile and the Rising Talent badge.

Momina S Community Member

Hi everone,
Em new in upwork community and dnt know how to start a work over here. Kindly guide me so i can start my work on this platform. Thanks

Paul M Community Member

Finding a job

David S Community Member

Andrea,

They STILL refuse to just click and read your guides on your opening post.

READ-READ-RESEARCH - READ!

No one has time to be a freelancer and a teacher!

Moses I Community Member

Hi, I have applied for lots of jobs unfortunately I get email alert that those jobs have been removed for violating upworks policy? 

Few ones turns out decline and two that invited me for an interview turned out to be scam. 

Please how do I boast my chances of getting a job.

Thank you

Tyler E Community Member

Hi, 

I'm new to Upwork. I'm trying to find work as fast as I can. Let's just say I have a fast-approaching deadline. Does anyone have any advice?

Nazia T Community Member

how can I get my first job on upwork?

Shelema T Community Member

Hi I'm shelema this is my first work from home job i convert image word to word and pdf. 

I'm new in upwork community and someone invited me to look at the job he posted. I've already to sent a proposal.

thank u .

Adesoye L Community Member

Why is it so hard to get a project or job quickly?

Rahul J Community Member

To start earning from Upwork, follow these steps:

Create a Strong Profile:

Add a professional photo, a descriptive title, and a summary highlighting your skills and experience.
Fill out your employment history, education, certifications, and skills.

Skill Verification:

Upwork offers skill tests to showcase your expertise. Take relevant tests to validate your skills.
Clients often look for verified skills when hiring freelancers.

Build a Portfolio:

Upload samples of your work to demonstrate your capabilities.
If you're a writer, include writing samples. For designers, showcase designs, and so on.
Clients want to see what you can do before hiring you.

Set Your Hourly Rate or Project Fee:

Determine your pricing based on your skills, experience, and the market rates.
You can set an hourly rate or a fixed project fee. Upwork also offers options for milestone payments for larger projects.

Search for Jobs and Submit Proposals:

Browse through available jobs on Upwork that match your skills.
Craft personalized proposals for each job. Highlight your relevant experience and explain how you can add value to the client's project.
Be sure to read the job description thoroughly and tailor your proposal accordingly.

Communication is Key:

Once you land a job, maintain clear and prompt communication with the client.
Understand the project requirements fully before starting work.
Update the client regularly on the progress of the project.

Deliver High-Quality Work:

Meet deadlines and deliver work of the highest quality.
Satisfied clients are more likely to give you positive reviews and hire you for future projects.

Get Reviews and Ratings:

After completing a job, ask the client to leave you a review and rating.
Positive reviews and high ratings build your reputation on Upwork, making it easier to attract more clients.

Consistency and Persistence:

Finding success on Upwork takes time and persistence.
Stay active on the platform, submit proposals regularly, and continue to improve your profile.

Additional Tips:

Be professional in all your interactions.
Be open to constructive feedback and willing to make revisions.
Keep learning and improving your skills to stay competitive.

Remember, success on Upwork is a combination of having a strong profile, effectively marketing your skills, delivering quality work, and building positive relationships with clients. It may take time to establish yourself, but with persistence and dedication, you can start earning from Upwork.

Arean Vee G Community Member

Good day this is my first time in upwork industry, i applied to many job offers. But when i want to apply to other job i can't submit it because i dont have any connects. What is connects means hear in upwork? And please have some suggestion to my profile thank you have a nice day 

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths