🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » Tips for finding that first job
Page options
AndreaG
Community Manager
Community Manager

Tips for finding that first job

Hi all,

Welcome to the Upwork Community! We know landing that first contract can be challenging, so we built Upwork Academy and threads like this to help you get started. With a lot of resources and so little time, we wanted to put together some recommendations for you to check out first:

Do you have a specific question or maybe a tip to offer? Reply to this post and share your question, advice, or words of inspiration!

~Andrea
Upwork
ACCEPTED SOLUTION
AndreaG
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi all,

This thread has been closed from further replies due to its size. We appreciate your participation in the Community and welcome you to continue the conversation on this new thread.

Thank you!

~Andrea
Upwork

View solution in original post

1,774 REPLIES 1,774

Hi Olumide,

Thanks for reaching out! I've pulled a few resources that may be helpful to you. Check out these articles to help you create a profile that stands out and improve your profile title and overview. For some great tips on writing proposals that win jobs, check out this article.

Don’t hesitate to visit the  Academy and sign up for upcoming events and webinars to learn more about how you can boost your success on Upwork.

Good luck!

~ Joanne
Upwork

Maybe rewrite your introduction (summary)?

Upwork recommends to change things every now and then - a little to spice up our profiles.

Do you know any nearby business? That you could do something for them with a promise to promote them on your profile in the testimonial section?

This way their testimonial and what you create - becomes another example only this time they offer you feedback.

By the way I like the country where you live.  Have visited and feel it is good.

1bda63ee
Community Member

What am i supposed to do to land my first job at Upwork?

The world of receiving a job (project) changes rapidly overnight.

It is advisable to go all the way back to basics.
(Upwork’s videos and training to show you how to create great cover letters and profiles.)
Since my current project of 5 months just ended, I plan on going over to Upwork’s video section to see if there are ‘New’ ones to see if I can acquire a nugget or two of new knowledge.
Best of all you receive a ‘Badge’ for completing a section of training that appeals to your clients on your profile a lot!!

d7ab166b
Community Member

How can I get my first work / job on upwork as I'm new to this.

So, even if you have either been working in a specific line of work or just starting as a freelancer…
(Upwork’s videos and training to show you how to create great cover letters and profiles.)
Since my current project of 5 months just ended, I plan on going over to Upwork’s video section to see if there are ‘New’ ones to see if I can acquire a nugget or two of new knowledge.
Best of all you receive a ‘Badge’ for completing a section of training that appeals to your clients on your profile a lot!!

4c127f4c
Community Member

How do I get my first  job on unworkable please?

Hi Gift,

Welcome to the Upwork Community! The Upwork Community is where you can ask and answer questions, search for topics, learn, network with members, and get updates about Upwork.
Let’s get you started with the basics here at Upwork. Below are a few Upwork Academy courses to help you get started:
You can also sign up for upcoming events and webinars to learn more about how you can boost your success on Upwork.
The Community is also where members can share feedback on existing features and suggestions for new features. If you have ideas on how we can improve your experience on Upwork, the Community is a great place to share them!
We hope you find these online resources helpful in your Upwork journey.
~ Joanne
Upwork

Follow the DIRECTIONS in the oppenning post. They are very explicit! But don't anticipate clients banging at your virtual door in 10 minutes or even weeks.

f27408c0
Community Member

Dear, thanks for welcoming for working upwork.

i am trying to work on upwork

mesbahur rahman

Number one: I am not a 'Dear' I have a name - Sir.

Number two: In order to work on Upwork no small letter 'i's' are accepted: Incorrect use of English writing/grammar

Number three: Offering advice from a Top Rated individual - me:

(Upwork’s videos and training to show you how to create great cover letters and profiles.) Click on them on the upper right hand side of this page.

I even recently checked Upwork’s video section to see if there are ‘New’ ones to see if I can acquire a nugget or two of new knowledge. - I did, and acquired a badge - clients like to see badges on the profiles. - Shows you are taking an interest in how to help yourself and them.

In your proposal show the client how you will deliver quality work

Match your skills with project in short polite explanation manner.

Add new projects ‘You’ create similar to what client is looking for.

Find the specific needs and goals of the client.

Make sure your skills and expertise align with their requirements.

Here on Upwork it is all about the 'client' not the freelancer.

Hope this assists you in finding work on Upwork.

80199c48
Community Member

Ok

hi, i am new in upwork i want to work with upwork entry level , thanks

Try finding short projects to work on.

Gain positve feedback

1483f3a8
Community Member

Hi! I am new to Upwork, I am exploring this and seeing how it helps to showcase my talent that is related to teaching, and writing and I am also interested in knowing the idea of how this works.

In your proposal show client how you will deliver quality work
Match your skills with the project in short polite explanation manner.
Add new projects ‘You’ create projects similar to what client is looking for. This shows the client you understand what they want you to do. (scope of project)
Find the specific needs and goals of the client.
Make sure your skills and expertise align with their requirements.

bcc7e86e
Community Member

I am relatively new to the Upwork platorm.  So far I have responded to nearly 60 proposals and NOT ONE response! What am I doing wrong? Before I engaged Upwork I was a very successful partner in a graphic design firm, winning my share of design awards. Not sure what is the best strategy going forward. I have spent a significant amont on "connects" and that seems to be pointless a well. Any ideas from those of you that are "working"? Thanks

You 'responded' to 60 proposals, or - you 'sent' 60 propoals without a response?

It's a bit unclear in that first sentence.

So, even if you have either been working in a specific line of work or just starting as a freelancer…

n your proposal show client how you will deliver quality work

Match your skills with project in short polite explanation manner.

Add new projects ‘You’ create similar to what client is looking for.

Find the specific needs and goals of the client.

Make sure your skills and expertise align with their requirements.

Agree!

Hi, Greetings. 

Sir you said that you were sussessful partner with a firm and you win awards. So sir i want to suggest you to make portfolio video of your previous work {designs}, awards, your years being work as graphics designer, along with your beautiful self. And post it on upwork. This gonna help the client to see you as a experienced and perfect freelancer for thier needs. Also portfolio makes your profile stronger and tansparent what you write about your self, your work, and your experties in the Upowork's Description.

Thank You Sir :]

Hi, 

Sir you said that you were sussessful partner with a firm and you win awards. So sir i want to suggest you to make portfolio video of your previous work {designs}, awards, your years being work as graphics designer, along with your beautiful self. And post it on upwork. This gonna help the client to see you as a experienced and perfect freelancer for thier needs. Also portfolio makes your profile stronger and tansparent what you write about your self, your work, and your experties in the Upwork's Description.

Thank You Sir :]

One thing to keep in mind is that competition on Upwork can be tough, especially for jobs in popular categories like graphic design or web development first of all you should narrow down your niche in graphics design and show an attractive portfolio in your profile fully optimized.

To stand out, it's important to make sure your proposals are well-written and tailored to each job posting. Keep consistent and provide full-time time on Upwork because this is not a part-time freelancing platform this is a professional business platform. 

adbd68c1
Community Member

Hi, I can't get my first order, is there something wrong with my profile?

9ccf9ea0
Community Member

I am new to Upwork. But I can't get my first job. Is there any problem with my profile?

7a94ae8a
Community Member

Hi,  I wanna ask all three questions which you have quoted 1. How to get my first work 2. Strategies to deal well with client either I could get the job  3. How to build the best proposal to accepted and i hot hired.       After these all .. I want to add one more question that, I have got my first order some days earlier which is related to therapy (Couple therapy) after completing my job I asked from client for the session and they replied with much appriciation but he did not closed the job and he left it pendin like a milestone completed. Usually it shows that it may he would ask me again for session but he is just disapppeared from upwork even therapy needs 3 or 4 sessions to be done for curing and I texted him too. Ask me some suggestions how he could close the job.?? 5. I have submitted more than 60 proposals but can find only a single one as i mentioned above even those proposals were my best written and I have a strong command on required position but about 2% of all that were viewed by clients. Suggest me some solutions for the sake please.

98b177bb
Community Member

e46b9cc8
Community Member

Hey I am new here. What does one do to get invites?

You won't get legitimate invites until you have some experience here; most new freelancers need to buy connects and send a lot of proposals before they find work. But first, you need to learn how to use Upwork and improve your profile. Click on the Academy link at the top of this page and go through all of the materials.

brooksteneka
Community Member

I have been a member since 2022, I have purchased so many connect and I am yet to receive an offer or proposal. I have spent so much money on connects and noting. I hope everyone else has have better outcomes. 

bd140728
Community Member

I have been trying to generate leads from last 2 months on UpWork but didn't get any success so can anyone suggest me the tactics needed for getting leads. Please the things to done for making my profile more visible to clients on Upwork.

lightofearth
Community Member

Are there any tips on which job I will apply for and for which I will not, because there is a limitation of connects. So I need to calculative. 

adbd68c1
Community Member

Hi all, I have sent over 120 job offers but have never been hired, my profile has been redone several times, and I have filled out everything I can but my profile is not even being reviewed or looking at my cover letter. Can you tell me if there is any strategy? I am regularly buying connects and plus accounts. But there are no results. I can pay for the profile for another 3 months, but if I don't find a job, there is no point in Upwork.

6658189e
Community Member

Hi I'm Dane this is my first work from home job as English and Filipino translator, subtitle writer, and closed captioner. Though I don't have experience, I do have a knowledge to edit some of the mistranslated and misspelled words and synchronized it perfectly which is from my favorite shows, I do that as a hobby.

I'm new in upwork community and someone invited me to look at the job he posted. I've already sent a proposal but I'm little bit nervous about the interview. Any advice since this is my first interview from work from home job. Thanks

Please have a look at my profile and let me know if anyone is willing to give me the best feedback.

Thank you.

Here is my profile link.

https://www.upwork.com/freelancers/~01e387386c3996c338

adeeba3c
Community Member

When I first joined, I was a first-year university student with limited money. I came from a humble background, so it was difficult for me to pay for my education. In my free time between computer lab classes, I searched the internet for online job opportunities. I found oDesk while searching. I made an account. It was difficult to figure out how to get jobs. It was very hard to get my first job. But I kept learning about SEO.

hamza7262
Community Member

I've spent alot of time optimizing my profile, spending time and bidding but still got no projects, what I'm missing can anyone help me.

47db19a4
Community Member

I cant apply for any job the button is grey, I dont know why. Can someone help me with this?

c084234b
Community Member

hi.. i'm new on upwork.help me please how to boost my profile to organic way and get a job in a mounth

9784891a
Community Member

it really challenging trying to land a job, i really need someone to put me through. 🤦‍:male_sign:🤦‍:male_sign:🤦‍:male_sign:🤦‍:male_sign:🤦‍:male_sign:wasted some connects recently

bd140728
Community Member

Hello Andrea, Thanks for your sharing the recommendations and your help.

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths