🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » Tips for finding that first job
Page options
AndreaG
Community Manager
Community Manager

Tips for finding that first job

Hi all,

Welcome to the Upwork Community! We know landing that first contract can be challenging, so we built Upwork Academy and threads like this to help you get started. With a lot of resources and so little time, we wanted to put together some recommendations for you to check out first:

Do you have a specific question or maybe a tip to offer? Reply to this post and share your question, advice, or words of inspiration!

~Andrea
Upwork
ACCEPTED SOLUTION
AndreaG
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi all,

This thread has been closed from further replies due to its size. We appreciate your participation in the Community and welcome you to continue the conversation on this new thread.

Thank you!

~Andrea
Upwork

View solution in original post

1,774 REPLIES 1,774
firdaus_kiko
Community Member

Are there any experienced freelancers willing to share tips on writing a top-notch proposal? I'm sure the tips will be insightful for newbies like me.

490c7d2c
Community Member

HI! Myself tanishka i am a collage student and i am looking for work for side income. please help me.

Hello Tanishka,
Hope you are doing well.Only you can do is setup your Upwork profile as per your skill and then Apply on job post to get your first job.And Also you can publish your project catalog to get clients.

Md.Samsul Ehasan
4e4ab459
Community Member

Hi am Hiwot am new and need help finding job

c688d828
Community Member

Hi ,

I am a Graphic Designer/data entry and new to Upwork. I have been struggling to get my first Preoject Catelog. I have submitted about many proposals to different leads base projects. How do I get my job?

I will try for few month but I will not success.

I really need help.

Thank you

Me to Sir their some secret behind ithink

32d561e3
Community Member

I have a great experience to offer if by any chance I see who can promote my experience 

you should get more and more connects and apply as per your desired work.
f283718a
Community Member

aksu_hasan
Community Member

I’m Hasan Aksu. I have been active in the social media, digital medium and web desing fields 7/24 since 2011 and I’m a creative person… As per my professional summary, my qualities and experience I’m a Senior Art Director. I am proficient in Photoshop, Illustrator, Indesign, After Effects and Figma. Throughout my career, I have demonstrated the highest levels of service and commitment to the mission of any organization. I have worked for I have worked for local and global brands. I love my job and liked to surprise clients with my works. In my free time also liked to develop my self with graphical elements, read books and work with AI. Thus, if you are looking for a well grounded Senior Art Director please contact me to arrange an interview.

Thats Nice you have these qualities you will get more success.
378b5837
Community Member

Greetings! I'm new here, please give me tips on how to get a clients. I appreciate it so much. Thank you

dbec999d
Community Member

Hey All ,

I am new here and finding  part time oppertunity as experienced software engineer (from india)in web Application dev/support and Azure cloud skills scope.
would u like to help me out ?
TIA
**Edited for Community Guidelines**

I'm Available

76ac2455
Community Member

Greetings! 

I'm new here, please give me tips on how to get a clients. I appreciate it so much. 

Thank you

**Edited for Community Guidelines**

hi you should get more and more connects and see the opportunity and apply
its truth plat forum to earn.

I sincerely appreciate your response, Mr. Shehzad S. Your input is invaluable as I strive to secure a valuable client. Thank you kindly.

Hello everyone,

I'm new to this community and excited to connect with experienced professionals in the field of Data Science. I bring expertise in data processing, data cleaning, and data visualization. I'm eager to explore opportunities and would greatly appreciate any guidance or assistance you could offer. Looking forward to engaging with you all!

37acc0a1
Community Member

Please can anyone drop hints on how to land jobs on upwork without connects. I know it sounds weird but your answer will be deeply appreciated.

Hi Daniel, best you can do is make sure you optimize your profile the best way possible, including all the relevant skills, having a good description, a portfolio etc.

b319ce49
Community Member

How can i make money here pls

Am ben by name

Hi Paul,

On Upwork, your profile is a critical tool to your success. It is a great way to demonstrate your skills and experience. Leveraging it to its full potential may help you differentiate yourself from other freelancers and improve the likelihood of getting hired. Here are some of the items successful freelancers incorporate into their profiles below:

• Build your profile: This is your chance to showcase your skills and experience to potential clients. Complete your profile, including your work history, education, and a description of your services.
  • Build a strong portfolio: Your portfolio may help impress potential clients with real-life examples of your skills and expertise. Add any projects you’ve completed in the past to help you showcase your skills.
  • Network with clients: Establish good relationships by delivering quality work on time and communicating effectively. This can help you secure repeat business and new opportunities in the future.
  • Bid on projects: When you find a project you're interested in, submit a proposal outlining why you're the best candidate for the job. Make sure to tailor your proposal to the specific project and client.
Still need to figure out where to begin on Upwork? These resources can point you in the right direction:

With these steps, you'll be on your way to success.
Good luck!
~ Joanne
Upwork
37acc0a1
Community Member

Amazing 
6c5d2266
Community Member

Hey Paul,

I hear you loud and clear about the difficulties new freelancers face on Upwork. The limited connects and emphasis on top-rated profiles can be discouraging, but there are still ways to navigate the platform and find success.

Here are some specific strategies to consider:

• Optimize your profile: While Joanne mentioned profile basics, go beyond just completing sections. Craft compelling copy, showcase relevant skills and projects, and target your profile language to your ideal clients.
  • Focus on niche expertise: Instead of being a jack-of-all-trades, identify a specific niche within your field and tailor your profile and proposals to target clients seeking that expertise.
  • Network strategically: Connect with established freelancers in your niche, both on Upwork and through other channels. Learn from their experiences and potentially collaborate on projects to gain exposure.
  • Start small and build your reputation: Don't jump into high-paying jobs right away. Focus on smaller projects to build your positive feedback and establish a track record of success.
  • Consider alternatives: While Upwork is popular, explore other freelance platforms like Fiverr, Freelancer, or Guru. These platforms might have different structures that better suit your current profile and needs.
  • Be patient and persistent: Building a successful freelance career takes time and effort. Don't get discouraged by initial setbacks. Focus on continuous improvement, learning from each experience, and staying persistent in your search for projects.

Remember, your skills and experience are valuable, even without a top rating. By strategically optimizing your presence, networking actively, and being patient, you can build a successful freelance career despite the platform's challenges.

Additionally:

• Utilize Upwork Academy: This resource offers free courses and workshops to help you improve your skills and marketability on the platform.
  • Follow Upwork Success Stories: Read stories of successful freelancers who started out where you are to gain inspiration and learn from their journeys.

I hope this revised response provides more actionable advice and support. Don't hesitate to ask further questions if you need more specific guidance!

783a9b8e
Community Member

Howdy! I am new to accepting clients online and new to Upwork. So far my first impression hasn't been the best. First forum posts I saw were lots of frustrating issues and feedback from individuals on which many who appear to be heavy hitters in the industry. I am not trying to keep the lights on with my social media content creations but, rather to fuel a hobby I enjoy. Is this the place to be or has it's time passed? 

Please give this Oregon Coast gal some insight! 

Community Member

Hey everybody, 

I want to earn money as  a freelancer to improve my income but the problem is I don't have information or experience about anything. 

All waht I know is that I speak Italian and English as I studied them in university but I don't have information or experience in Marketing  , Accounting  ,Computer  Programming  , Business Administration , Engineering or anything like this. 

I just speak English and Italian in addition to my mother tongue ( Arabic ) .

What do you advise me to do ? 

Do you recommend me any easy field to learn to be able to work or earn money through it?

And how can I learn it online and free because my economic situation is not good so I can't pay much money to learn .

I work now as a call center agent but I don't earn enough money for me and my family and for that I look for additional source for income.

Attached my cv.

I wait for your advices .**Edited for community guidelines**

I understand your desire to increase your income and your current limitations. While there isn't a singular "easy" field, here are some steps and potential areas you can explore based on your language skills and free learning options:

Leveraging language skills:

• Translation & Proofreading: Platforms like Upwork offer translation and proofreading gigs. Offer free trials or discounted rates to build a portfolio. You can translate websites, documents, or even subtitles.
  • Virtual Assistant: Many businesses seek VAs with language skills for email management, social media, or scheduling tasks. Sites like Zirtual and Fancy Hands list such jobs.
  • Online Tutoring: If you're confident in your English or Italian, offer online tutoring or conversation practice. Platforms like Italki and Verbling connect tutors with students.
  • Content Creation: Create multilingual content like blogs, articles, or social media posts for businesses targeting specific audiences.

Other Options:

• Data Entry: Requires accuracy and attention to detail. Websites like Amazon Mechanical Turk offer microtasks that might suit your needs.
  • Transcription: Transcribe audio or video recordings. Rev.com and Scribie are popular platforms.
  • Online Surveys & Reviews: Earn small amounts by participating in surveys or writing reviews. Sites like Swagbucks and Prolific offer such opportunities.

Learning Resources:

• Free Online Courses: Platforms like Coursera, edX, and Udemy offer free courses on various topics, including translation, digital marketing, and customer service.
  • YouTube Tutorials: Find free tutorials on specific skills like basic coding, graphic design, or social media marketing.
  • Local Libraries & Community Colleges: Check for free workshops or classes offered by libraries or community colleges.

Additional Tips:

• Start small and build your portfolio gradually. Don't expect immediate high-paying gigs. Focus on gaining experience and positive client reviews.
  • Network with other freelancers and language professionals. Join online communities or attend virtual events to learn and connect.
  • Be patient and persistent. Building a successful freelance career takes time and effort. Don't get discouraged by initial setbacks.

Remember, while there are limitations to free learning resources, they can be a valuable starting point. Combine them with dedication, continuous learning, and effective self-marketing to improve your chances of success. Good luck!

Your advice is invaluable, boosting my confidence. Grateful for the encouragement to persevere. Thank you for being a guiding light

5c985981
Community Member

I've worked hard to build my profile, but I'm not getting the job offers or recognition I expected. It's frustrating and I'm not sure what else to do. Any advice?

Here is my profile link.

https://www.upwork.com/freelancers/izhara23

Understanding your frustration completely! It can be demotivating when your efforts don't translate into the desired results. While I can't offer specific advice without more context, here are some general approaches you could consider:

1. Deep Dive into Your Job Search:

• Refine your targeting: Are you applying to roles truly aligned with your skills and experience? Consider focusing on roles that closely match your profile, rather than mass-applying.
  • Optimize your materials: Do your resume and cover letter effectively highlight your strengths and achievements relevant to each specific role? Tailoring these documents can significantly increase your chances.
  • Expand your network: Actively connect with people in your field through online platforms, industry events, or even your community group. Networking can open doors to hidden opportunities.
  • Consider upskilling/reskilling: Are there in-demand skills within your field that you could acquire? Investing in learning relevant skills can make you a more competitive candidate.

2. Seek Constructive Feedback:

• Request interview feedback: After interviews, if possible, request feedback from interviewers to understand their perspective and identify areas for improvement.
  • Self-reflection: Analyze your past roles and identify your strengths and weaknesses. Recognizing areas for growth can guide your efforts.
  • Seek mentorship: Consider finding a mentor who can offer guidance and support based on their experience.

3. Maintain a Positive Outlook:

• Remember, job hunting is a process: Landing the right opportunity takes time and persistence. Don't let setbacks discourage you from continuing your efforts.
  • Celebrate progress: Acknowledge and celebrate your smaller achievements, like tailoring your resume or attending an industry event.
  • Believe in yourself: Maintain a positive mindset and focus on your value proposition. Remember, your skills and experience deserve recognition.

Additionally:

• Share more details: If you're comfortable, provide specific examples of roles you applied for, your industry, or areas where you're seeking recognition. This information will help tailor advice specific to your situation.
  • Community support: Utilize your community group! Share your challenges and successes, learn from others' experiences, and build a supportive network within the group.

By combining these approaches with more specific details, we can work together to find the best ways to help you achieve your career goals. Remember, you're not alone in this process, and there are resources and support available to help you move forward.

6c5d2266
Community Member

Hi Andrea,

Thank you for creating this helpful thread for newcomers like myself!

I truly appreciate you highlighting the valuable resources offered by Upwork Academy and sharing these crucial starting points: New to Upwork: Finding Work, Identifying and communicating your value, and Creating a proposal that wins work.

While these resources are insightful, it would be fantastic if you could offer some additional tips tailored specifically to those struggling to land their first contract. Perhaps advice on overcoming challenges like limited connects, standing out in a competitive pool, or navigating platform dynamics that might favor established freelancers.

Additionally, some inspirational stories or success tips shared by other Upwork newbies who landed their first gigs could be tremendously encouraging and provide valuable insights.

Thank you again for your initiative and support!

Optionally, you can add:

• Your own experience as a freelancer (if applicable) or success stories you've witnessed on the platform.
  • Specific questions you have for Andrea or the community to further assist new freelancers.
  • Any additional thoughts or suggestions you have to make the thread even more helpful.

By engaging actively and contributing to the discussion, you can help build a valuable resource for the entire community!

c3288498
Community Member

Here are some tips for finding your first job on Upwork, along with one point incorporating hashtags:

• Complete Your Profile: Ensure your Upwork profile is fully filled out with relevant skills, experience, and a professional profile picture. This helps potential clients understand your expertise and makes you more discoverable in search results.

• Use Relevant Hashtags: Incorporate relevant hashtags related to your skills or the type of work you're seeking in your Upwork profile overview or job proposals. For example, if you're a graphic designer, include hashtags like #GraphicDesigner, #LogoDesign, or #Illustration or Using Hashtags Generator to attract clients searching for those services.

• Build a Strong Portfolio: Showcase your previous work in your Upwork portfolio. Include examples that highlight your skills and expertise in your chosen field. A strong portfolio can help you stand out to potential clients and increase your chances of landing your first job.

• Start with Lower Rates: Consider starting with lower rates initially to attract clients and build your reputation on Upwork. As you gain more experience and positive reviews, you can gradually increase your rates.

• Apply to Entry-Level Jobs: Focus on applying to entry-level or smaller jobs when you're just starting on Upwork. These jobs typically have less competition and can serve as a stepping stone to larger projects as you build your reputation and client base.

• Customize Your Proposals: Tailor your job proposals to each client's specific needs and requirements. Personalize your message and demonstrate how your skills and experience align with the job posting. This shows clients that you've taken the time to understand their project and increases your chances of being hired.

• Be Responsive and Professional: Respond promptly to messages from potential clients and maintain a professional demeanor in all your communications. Being reliable and easy to work with can help you build positive relationships with clients and increase your chances of getting hired.

• Seek Feedback and Improve: After completing jobs on Upwork, encourage clients to leave feedback and reviews on your profile. Positive reviews build trust and credibility with future clients. Additionally, use feedback from clients to identify areas for improvement and continuously refine your skills and services.

By following these tips and incorporating relevant hashtags in your profile and job proposals, you can increase your visibility and chances of finding your first job on Upwork.

b3f956e1
Community Member

Please am new in freelancer want your assistance how can I move on with bidding.

Hi Robinson,

On Upwork, your profile is a critical tool to your success. It is a great way to demonstrate your skills and experience. Leveraging it to its full potential may help you differentiate yourself from other freelancers and improve the likelihood of getting hired. Here are some of the items successful freelancers incorporate into their profiles below:

• Build your profile: This is your chance to showcase your skills and experience to potential clients. Complete your profile, including your work history, education, and a description of your services.
  • Build a strong portfolio: Your portfolio may help impress potential clients with real-life examples of your skills and expertise. Add any projects you’ve completed in the past to help you showcase your skills.
  • Network with clients: Establish good relationships by delivering quality work on time and communicating effectively. This can help you secure repeat business and new opportunities in the future.
  • Bid on projects: When you find a project you're interested in, submit a proposal outlining why you're the best candidate for the job. Make sure to tailor your proposal to the specific project and client.
Still need to figure out where to begin on Upwork? These resources can point you in the right direction:

With these steps, you'll be on your way to success.
Good luck!
~ Joanne
Upwork
5b00d177
Community Member

Hello i am a video editor for youtube. please if you like give me i will be best for you.

please see my sample intro and outro video. check my video.

3918e39b
Community Member

Hi,

when I registered in Upwork, I upgraded to plus member ship, purchased connects and compelted 2 projects as well. BUT

after this project, nothings nothings happen

- I added samples to my portfolio

- create two separate category skills for my profile

-buy many connects

-unique proposal for projects

-Upgraded to plus membershi

-Applied to many jobs

but afterwhile I get no feedback, no invitations,... and then 80-85% of thoes projects, closed or expired.. 

this Time,

- upgraded my membership to Freelancer Plus

- pass the upwork readiness test

-add again samples to my portfolio and change titles

-change the prosposal types 

-read many proposal tips, winning,... in community of upwork

so with freelancer plus, I have 70 connects , I used all in different projects that I have skill, i can do, BUT AGAIN  nothing happen!!   AND

my profile views show 0.

SO what happened to all proposal I sent? why no one checked my profile to see I am good or not?

I know I am good at my fields, i have 10 years experience, I worked in many companies.

I think , at least  client must see my profile and after he/she want me to hire or not?? am I right? from 70connects i used??

there is something wrong ??

Have an upwork moderator review your profile. All the best.

Hello All,

With a dynamic background encompassing entrepreneurship in car rental and landscaping, coupled with hands-on experience in hospitality and property management at prestigious resorts, I bring a wealth of expertise to the table. My journey has been marked by the successful establishment and expansion of my own business, NT Investments, showcasing my adeptness in business development, operations management, and customer service. This experience is underpinned by a proven track record in managing teams, optimizing operations for peak performance, and enhancing customer satisfaction. Leveraging these skills, I am eager to drive growth and innovation in remote roles that demand strategic oversight, meticulous project management, and exceptional client engagement. I look forward to building and networking online,, advise coaching and mentorship on here is welcomed.

Straight from AI?

Can you please suggest me how can I find any upwork moderator?

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths