🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » Tips for finding that first job
Page options
Andrea G Community Manager

Tips for finding that first job

Hi all,

Welcome to the Upwork Community! We know landing that first contract can be challenging, so we built Upwork Academy and threads like this to help you get started. With a lot of resources and so little time, we wanted to put together some recommendations for you to check out first:

Do you have a specific question or maybe a tip to offer? Reply to this post and share your question, advice, or words of inspiration!

~Andrea
ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Andrea G Community Manager

Hi all,

This thread has been closed from further replies due to its size. We appreciate your participation in the Community and welcome you to continue the conversation on this new thread.

Thank you!

~Andrea

View solution in original post

1,767 REPLIES 1,767
Saad A Community Member

It's been almost a week since I joined Upwork. Most of the time, I'm actively applying for jobs relevant to my skills, but I haven't received any profile or proposal views. I have spent a lot of time optimizing my profile, using proper calls to action, relevant keywords, and compelling hooks in my proposals. I also attach examples of my work.

Common Cents C Community Member

You need to be patient here because clients wait for all the bids to come in as much as they require, which you can see on the right sidebar. and till the time they close the bid. till the time try completing your profile to 100%. Best of luck

thanks regards

Iqrar H Community Member

I am expert lead generation.

I am also finding a best job, but it didn't yet.

Himanshu P Community Member

Thanks to share the tips i will look

Siti Zaeimah M Community Member

I need the job. Simple job, so hard to get it! 🥲

If you are looking the job then you need to optimize your upwork profile and need to place the bid, in which service you are expartize 

I boosted my profile- but client clicks are still low on my profile! Also, I haven't won much work yet...

Any suggestions or ideas?

Aqib F Community Member

NO JOBS YET

Hi everyone. My name is Aqib Farooq with 9 Years of experience. I am a member on Upwork community. I have submitted a many proposals but I haven't received no   jobs  as yet. Can someone assist me in doing so.

I think there is no value of talented persons, and i think Upwork cannot give me project whole life.

Mary Margaret G Community Member

I am confused by your comment: I think there is no value of talented persons, and i think Upwork cannot give me project whole life.

Are you actually asking for help?

Sayed Murtaza S Community Member

Hey , I have the same problem , I have 0 profile view and no invites . even my proposals can not be seen, I boost them and turn visibility to public also my Availability badge is on ,but still no Profile view! any suggestion ?

Carol N Community Member

I have been on upwork for a while with no hires. I have completed my profile to 100%,my availability badge is always on, I have submitted quite a number of proposals and upgraded to freelance plus and my profile is public, any advice on what to improve on ?

Joanne P Moderator

Hi Carol,

Thanks for reaching out! I've pulled a few resources that may be helpful to you. Check out these articles to help you create a profile that stands out and improve your profile title and overview. For some great tips on writing proposals that win jobs, check out this article.

Don’t hesitate to visit the  Academy and sign up for upcoming events and webinars to learn more about how you can boost your success on Upwork.

Good luck!
~ Joanne
Upwork

I really like your profile.

Remember that most clients Only will read the 1st two sentences.

Not so sure they are satisfied with 'I' statements?

The clients really like statements of what How You can make them $$

Perhaps a few more examples to showcase to clients?

More testimonials?

Just trying to offer suggestions. I visted your country and liked it very much.

Eric W Community Member

How do I get a job?

Have you followed the Moderators advice from Upwork at the top of this page?

Step by step?

It is fantastic advice to achieve

Wajiha B Community Member

Aoa all experience freelancer can you plz help me in getting work I am single mom and struggling I need money for my kids plz I am not begging just plz help on getting work I do dataentry translation plz some help me plz thank you

We understand that children are precious....But this is a business platform.

Your clients must see Your Face.

Follow the directions of the Moderator at the top of this page.

The world of receiving a job (project) changes rapidly overnight.

So, even if you have either been working in a specific line of work or just starting as a freelancer…

It is advisable to go all the way back to basics.

(Upwork’s videos and training to show you how to create great cover letters and profiles.)

Since my current project of 5 months just ended, I plan on going over to Upwork’s video section to see if there are ‘New’ ones to see if I can acquire a nugget or two of new knowledge.

Best of all you receive a ‘Badge’ for completing a section of training that appeals to your clients on your profile a lot!!

In your proposal show client how you will deliver quality work

Match your skills with project in short polite explanation manner.

Add new projects ‘You’ create similar to what client is looking for.

Find the specific needs and goals of the client.

Make sure your skills and expertise align with their requirements.

From one Mom to Another

Ahmed H Community Member

Hi, I'm new one upwork how do I get my first project?

Harun R Community Member

yes

Ahmed H Community Member

can you help me? How do I get my first project? as I've sent many proposals but didn't get any project or response.

Nancy S Community Member

HI I am new to Upwork.   I completed my profile. 

When i look for work, i noticed the proposals required are 5-10 or more. 

Is there a way to search for jobs with a filter on jobs that do not require proposals? 

If not i  dont see how anyone can get started. 

Thank you

N

Ebsa A Community Member

I'm new in upwork community and someone invited me to look at the job he posted. I've already sent a proposal but I'm little bit nervous about the interview. Any advice since this is my first interview from work from home job. Thanks

There is a video on the right that explains job interviews.

Check them out.

Iqra S Community Member

New here . Want your help to find jobs here . Thankyou

Bhushan M Community Member

Hello everyone,

I am trying to get some freelance work. But not able to find any client. 

Can someone help me to get me some freelance work?

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths