🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » Tips for finding that first job
Page options
AndreaG

Tips for finding that first job

Hi all,

Welcome to the Upwork Community! We know landing that first contract can be challenging, so we built Upwork Academy and threads like this to help you get started. With a lot of resources and so little time, we wanted to put together some recommendations for you to check out first:

Do you have a specific question or maybe a tip to offer? Reply to this post and share your question, advice, or words of inspiration!

~Andrea
Upwork
303 REPLIES 303

Congrats on joining us! Click the above Academy for how to land a Job.

03ec9e06
Community Member

Greetings,

Hi I'm Allyza,

Can you help me to find client? Actually i dont have any idea for this industry,but i do some research,watching videos in youtube,follow the Virtual Assistant Blogger,But all of the sadden i can't really understand,where i can start,Anyone open there hands to help me,because i know to my self i have skills to be Virtual Assistant,and i need to develop my skills,

I am very grateful to be your aprintice in the future,

Please help me,

Thankyou And God Bless YOU

Click the Academy link above to start your Upwork journey.

Thanks Sir 

9547ebc4
Community Member

Dear Upwork community team, 
I hope this message finds you well. My name is Adenodi Wewe, a prospective freelancer with a master degree in environmental biology and public health. I am new to freelance, while searching for suitable side jobs as a scientific officer , I discovered that Upwork is one of the few platforms with experienced freelancers who could be of help. I believe that my top-notch academic achievements and extensive professional experience in administration and sciences demonstrate my readiness for a freelance job

Congrats on joining Upwork! Happy job hunting.

a419f8a6
Community Member

Hi All, Can you please review my profile give suggestion to improve so that i can attract client more professionally. I have recently joined upwork and i have great skills with good experience as well. 
Here is my profile link: https://www.upwork.com/freelancers/~01c9149248b5027d9b

Thanks,
Fiaz Ahmad

Please write four paragraphs for the Summary, use all 15 Skills, and add a Project Catalog.

73f433f8
Community Member

Can anyone review my Cover Letter ?

Job Description
Restyling website bootstrap for company switzerland

Here is my Cover Letter 

Hy , can you share the link of website it will helpful to get the insights of website ? Moreover is there any figma for updated design ? I'm doing the website development for 2+ years with highly expertise in HTML , CSS , JS , BOOTSTRAP and much more. Here are my work samples **Edited for Community Guidelines**----> I developed a Full Stack system for this USA Tea brand with 40+ franchise**Edited for Community Guidelines**/ -----> I developed a Cargo Logistic Website **Edited for Community Guidelines**------> I developed a freelance platform to find the best lawyer **Edited for Community Guidelines** ------> Portfolio website for a game Company I am available to discuss this project further via Zoom. Let me know if you would like to proceed. Best Regards, AQIB

You need to use the link to the Academy at the top of the page to learn how to create a great proposal.

Try again without using words that get Edited out.

2d0122de
Community Member

How to get a client?

You may get a client by typing a specific job using the search option (magnifying glass icon) on top frame. You may also want to filter the results so you can get those jobs with verified payment for your protection.

Go to the Feed Work tab when you log into Upwork and then sort by keyword.

In addition, click the above Academy link for how to land a Job.

3fa4ebd9
Community Member

Hey fellow freelancers! As someone new to the freelancing world, I'm keen to understand the challenges and obstacles that fellow freelancers face in their journey. If you're using freelance platforms, I'd love to hear about your experiences and the issues you encounter. Could you share the problems you've encountered as a freelancer or while using freelance platforms? Your insights will be incredibly valuable in helping me—and others—navigate the freelancing landscape more effectively.

Thank you in advance for your contributions!

Bottom line Upwork is the best most viable freelancing site. Click the above Academy link to get started.

orina1013
Community Member

it seems much harder to find a job in upwork. because there are always more than 20proposal for a job. as new one, it seems no competative to challenge with experience worker. if upword platfor have some friendly policy for new worker?

Hi Huo. There are no set rules, none that I know of, but I do know that the earlier you send in your proposal, the better your chance of getting the job if it fits the skills you have in your profile. You should also mostly look out for jobs that are posted for entry level freelancers, and lower your rates if they are too high.

All the best in your Upwork journey. 

Hi Huo,

Welcome to the Upwork Community! This is where you can ask and answer questions, browse topics, socialize, learn, network with other members, and stay updated about Upwork's latest news.
As a community member, you can also share your feedback on existing features and suggest new ones. If you have any ideas to improve your experience on Upwork, don't hesitate to share them here!
To help you get started on Upwork, we recommend checking out the following Upwork Academy courses:
Additionally, we encourage you to sign up for upcoming events and webinars to enhance your success on Upwork.
We hope these resources will be valuable to you as you embark on your Upwork journey.
~ Joanne
Upwork
ba3e894e
Community Member

I am not getting any client plz help me. I worked so hard but no reply I wasted 90 connects but no proposal has been viewed .plz  reply me.

b70f38b6
Community Member

Hours to work and explain in any field, so I have enough time and time to be able to provide the work you give me at the desired time. I can edit video and do text work.

I use books and social media to do the job as I have more time to understand and explain.

Frehiwot
2c534855
Community Member

Hi! It's my first time here. Thanks for your tips

aae75bed
Community Member

Can you share some tips to get first job? please.

Please share your tips to get your first job on Upwork.

5c8d699d
Community Member

Community Member

5c8d699d
Community Member

Hi 

I'm Interested and i would like to know how i know if my profile is verified by Upwork 

Thanks

b130f6ec
Community Member

Hi Andrea I just need recommendation and tip to land job

87d6cfcb
Community Member

Yes

fe0cc1b9
Community Member

Hello, am new here, I will love someone to put me through, I can't wait to start having companies to work with.

7fc443b8
Community Member

Hello, I am new to this platform and bring with me a certification as a Certified Professional Biller (CPB). Alongside my expertise in medical billing, I have a strong background in creating high-quality content and blogs focused on healthcare, technology, and academia. I kindly request your review of my profile and appreciate any suggestions for its improvement

d2cf6980
Community Member

Am new here how can I get a client? 

bc7757e4
Community Member

433966103_122095156100258699_99956178091095468_n.jpg

Hi Tarik,

Welcome to the Upwork Community! This is where you can ask and answer questions, browse topics, socialize, learn, network with other members, and stay updated about Upwork's latest news.
As a community member, you can also share your feedback on existing features and suggest new ones. If you have any ideas to improve your experience on Upwork, don't hesitate to share them here!

To help you get started on Upwork, we recommend checking out the following Upwork Academy courses:

Additionally, we encourage you to sign up for upcoming events and webinars to enhance your success on Upwork.
We hope these resources will be valuable to you as you embark on your Upwork journey.
~ Joanne
Upwork
9072d126
Community Member

Hey Upwork fam! 

Just landed on this cool platform and I'm looking for some wisdom from the pros. I mean, who wouldn't want to learn from the best, right? So, hit me with your best tips, tricks, and hilarious work mishaps that turned into valuable lessons. Let's turn those "oops" moments into "aha!" ones together!

Keep it quirky,

08b534a6
Community Member

Hi I am a newly here and my name is Johnson mimigari, and am from Papua New Guinea. I want to find a job online freelance where I can use my knowledge and also earn some extra income . I joint the link but was not getting much. Am very much interested in retyping data entry and converting PDF.Thank you and hoping for any opportunity here.

JM

e95ea6fe
Community Member

yes im new to this but im a fast learner and willing to try new risks. bilingual english and spanish.

available anytime. i just dont know how to get started and what to get started on

49b430fa
Community Member

How to get first job with zero skill but just little knowledge? What we do?

2c1ff44e
Community Member

My name is Ali, 

New to upwork.. My experience in Automotive industry and handled multiple managerial roles in different capacities exclusivley in the new cars dealerships : 

Sales Manager - Product knowledge and soft skills training manager - CRM and customer service manager 

I look for new proposals of employees skills developments - Training consultant - 

Any Advice please ... 

Thanks 

Hi Ali,

~ Joanne
Upwork
2b0d6d2a
Community Member

Hi, 

I Sent a message to help me know about how to get my first job with upwork. 

I submit my oroposal, and the I received a message telling me the Job is removed?? 

Waiting to hear from you soon. 

Thank you. 

cb66ea92
Community Member

How to earn money from this 

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths