🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » Trouble with terminated contract
Page options
ninabel
Community Member

Trouble with terminated contract

Hi, everyone. I'm having trouble with an issue of mine on Upwork. So, I completed a small project for a client, and only after the work was completed, reviewed, and accepted, he made a contract for the agreed amount, which I accepted (I know, contract first, lesson learned). The problem is I mistakenly closed the contract, as the work was done on an outside platform. So he didn't approve anything on Upwork, and now there's no sign of the job in my Work History or any payment. How should I handle this? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
rekasesh
Community Member

From the screenshot, doesn't look like any amount was funded. Check your reports to see if any amount is in pending status. If not, your client hasn't paid anything, not even as bonus, as even these payment gets reflected in pending transactions. 

View solution in original post

14 REPLIES 14
spectralua
Community Member

Ask client to use "add bonus" option. You will receive money and contract will be shown in your history.

When asked about it, he replied, "I've paid the money." I've attached a screenshot below showing that there's no amount in Escrow or received. Could it be that there's a waiting period for any amount of money to show at all?

What is milestone status? If completed then you will receive money after 5 days security hold.

The project itself appears as completed. I guess I'll have to wait the 5-day timeframe and see. Thank you!

elisa_b
Community Member

Never ever work without having a funded contract first.

ninabel
Community Member

You are absolutely right. I hadn't worked on Upwork for quite some time and let this holy grail rule fly right over my head.

rekasesh
Community Member

From the screenshot, doesn't look like any amount was funded. Check your reports to see if any amount is in pending status. If not, your client hasn't paid anything, not even as bonus, as even these payment gets reflected in pending transactions. 

ninabel
Community Member

There's no reflection of a pending status in my reports tab, so I guess what you wrote applies: no amount was funded to the project. Is there anything I can do about it? Thank you for replying.

rekasesh
Community Member

So, nothing in any of these columns -- work in progress, review, pending or available?

You can ask the client to pay the fees. If he/she doesn't respond, chalk it up to a bad experience.

When you close the contract after a month, provide a detailed feedback to warn others. 

ninabel
Community Member

Thank you for taking the time to reply. We agreed with the client to simply draft an identical contract, which I accepted. The amount does show up in Escrow now. My question is, since my work was completed on an external platform, what do I submit/write in the "Submit work for payment" section?

rekasesh
Community Member

I am glad it worked out for you.

You can simply state in the submit message that work was submitted through client's preferred method, or add the file to the submit page.

ninabel
Community Member

Thank you so much for all your help!

rekasesh
Community Member

You're welcome. 

ninabel
Community Member

Thank you everyone for taking the time to reply and help me out with my issue!

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths