🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » Unclear proposal submitting process
Page options
db49059b
Community Member

Unclear proposal submitting process

Hello all! I'm new to freelancing on Upwork and ready to submit my first proposal. However, when I click on the job post there is an apply now CTA but not a submit proposal CTA.

On the submit proposal page there is a slot for the cover letter but a slot to submit the actual proposal is not provided. At the bottom of the submit proposal page, there is a submit proposal CTA.

My question is, do I attach the proposal to the cover letter or do I place my proposal in the cover letter slot? Honestly, neither of these options feels correct.

Any guidance will be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
feed_my_eyes
Community Member

A proposal and a cover letter are the exact same thing - your cover letter IS your proposal. What are you trying to attach? 

At the right of your screen you'll see a link to Upwork's "learning paths". I suggest that you take the time to find out how to use this website. There's plenty of detailed information available.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
feed_my_eyes
Community Member

A proposal and a cover letter are the exact same thing - your cover letter IS your proposal. What are you trying to attach? 

At the right of your screen you'll see a link to Upwork's "learning paths". I suggest that you take the time to find out how to use this website. There's plenty of detailed information available.

Hello Christine.

Thank you for your response and guidance.  I've watched endless amounts of videos and read I don't know how many articles on the topic. With so much conflicting information I wasn't sure how to go about this. For example, some articles suggest writing a brief cover letter and saving the details for the proposal, and others suggest not bothering with a cover letter. I greatly appreciate the fact that you took the time to guide me. Thank you very much!

Rafael S wrote:

For example, some articles suggest writing a brief cover letter and saving the details for the proposal, and others suggest not bothering with a cover letter.

You found this information on Upwork? Where?

If you mean that you've been reading articles about proposals in general, then yes, in the non-Upwork universe, a proposal is a longer document that you would usually send with a cover letter. But on Upwork, a proposal/cover letter just refers to the few sentences that you write when responding to a job posts; it's not a letter in the usual sense. There's no option to "not bother" writing one nor to "save the details" for writing a longer proposal after your initial application.

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths