🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » Using Time Tracker
Page options
chavarria-patric
Community Member

Using Time Tracker

Hi all! I am new to Upwork and just got my first contract. Do I have to use the time tracker or is that just there if needed? 

3 REPLIES 3
9b660019
Community Member

Clients can allow manual time entry for hourly contracts, but time logged manually is not eligible for the protections Upwork has in place to help ensure you're paid.

https://support.upwork.com/hc/en-us/articles/211068288-Hourly-Protection

If the contract doesn't allow for manual time, you will need to use the time tracker.

prestonhunter
Community Member

re: "Do I have to use the time tracker or is that just there if needed?"

If you have a fixed-price contract, then you MAY use it, just to keep track of time and generate screenshots, which both you and your client can view. But it is very much optional. Most freelancers DO NOT use the time-tracker with fixed-price contracts.

If you have an hourly contract, then I strongly advise you to use the time tracker application. If you use it, then you wil be paid automatically. If you use it correctly, then you are covered by Upwork Payment Protection, which means that if the client doesn't pay for some reason (rare, but possible), then Upwork will pay you for your time out of its own pocket.

So using the time-tracker is very beneficial to you. It also shows respect for the client.

But using the time-tracker with hourly contracts is OPTIONAL if the client allows manual time.

There is nothing wrong with using manual time and NOT using the time-tracker as long as the client can be trusted, and as long as you understand that a client is not required to pay you for manually-logged time. Clients SHOULD pay for manually-logged time (of course), but if a client disputes any freelancer's manually-logged time, Upwork will automatically remove those time segments so that the cilent doesn't pay.

martina_plaschka
Community Member

Patricia C wrote:

Hi all! I am new to Upwork and just got my first contract. Do I have to use the time tracker or is that just there if needed? 

Have you received an offer and accepted it?

It's important to discuss with your client if the work is hourly or a fixed price job. 

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths