🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » VAT will be applied to the Upwork service fee
Page options
lstembridge
Community Member

VAT will be applied to the Upwork service fee

Hi there, i'm a new freelancer from the UK and I don't understand what this phrasing means.

Does this mean that in addition to the 20% service fee already charged, Upwork will also charge 20% VAT on the rest of my earnings or -

does it mean that upwork will charge 20% VAT of the service fee itself, (so 20% of the 20% charged) 

2 REPLIES 2
JoanneP

Hi Liberty,

Upwork charges the country-specific Value Added Tax (VAT) to freelancers and agencies in the European Union (EU), unless you provide a valid VAT number. VAT will be assessed on services provided by us, not on services you provide your clients. Please check this help article for more information.

~ Joanne
Upwork
richard_wein
Community Member

@Liberty S wrote:

Hi there, i'm a new freelancer from the UK and I don't understand what this phrasing means.

Does this mean that in addition to the 20% service fee already charged, Upwork will also charge 20% VAT on the rest of my earnings or -

does it mean that upwork will charge 20% VAT of the service fee itself, (so 20% of the 20% charged) 

The latter. Upwork will deduct 24% of your earnings (on the first $500 earned from each client) if you're not VAT-registered.

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths