🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » When should I end the contract?
Page options
alizadalala
Community Member

When should I end the contract?

Hi,

I am very new to Upwork's working systems and I have several questions.

I have been working with a client on a fixed-price method. All milestones have been funded, I have submitted every work and the client approved every milestone + gave bonus. 

Currently, only the money from the first milestone is balanced in my account. All others are still due on the next dates and the bonus payment's status is "pending".

So my question is, should I go ahead and end the contract from my side? Is it safe in terms of payments? Also, will the client be able to leave feedback if I end the contract?

Thank you. 

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
alexis-arinze
Community Member

Lala A wrote:

Hi,

I have been working with a client on a fixed-price method. All milestones have been funded, I have submitted every work and the client approved every milestone + gave bonus. 

Currently, only the money from the first milestone is balanced in my account. All others are still due on the next dates and the bonus payment's status is "pending".

So my question is, should I go ahead and end the contract from my side? Is it safe in terms of payments? Also, will the client be able to leave feedback if I end the contract?

Thank you. 

Even if milestones have been funded and approved, it's still best to let the client end the contract himself/herself. Mostly because they might still offer you more work. And individuals are able to leave feedback regardless of who closes the contract.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
alexis-arinze
Community Member

Lala A wrote:

Hi,

Thank you. 

Even if milestones have been funded and approved, it's still best to let the client end the contract himself/herself. Mostly because they might still offer you more work. And individuals are able to leave feedback regardless of who closes the contract.

Thank you, 

Even if they would offer me new work, wouldn't it be possible to do with a new contract? What is the point of keeping the old one?

Sorry if I am asking really dumb questions, I am trying to understand what is the best way to work here 🙂

Hi Lala,

Yes, it is possible and your client can always easily rehire you for a new contract. You can check out this help article for more information on that.

Thank you.

~ Aleksandar
Upwork

Lala A wrote:

Thank you, 

Even if they would offer me new work, wouldn't it be possible to do with a new contract? What is the point of keeping the old one?

Sorry if I am asking really dumb questions, I am trying to understand what is the best way to work here 🙂

It's completely alright to do a new contract. However, if he/she asks for something that mirrors the original job scope, it would be more convenient to do it all on the one contract. The more earnings a freelancer makes on a single contract, the less UpWork takes. For example: They take 20% on contracts with earnings of up to $500. The start to take 10% on contracts with earnings of $500-$10,000. They take only 5% on contracts with earnings of $10,000 or more.

Alexis A wrote:

Lala A wrote:

Thank you, 

It's completely alright to do a new contract. However, if he/she asks for something that mirrors the original job scope, it would be more convenient to do it all on the one contract. The more earnings a freelancer makes on a single contract, the less UpWork takes. For example: They take 20% on contracts with earnings of up to $500. The start to take 10% on contracts with earnings of $500-$10,000. They take only 5% on contracts with earnings of $10,000 or more.

Just to clarify: it makes no difference if the respective thresholds are reached by 1, 5 or 100 jobs, as long as it's the same client.  

Martina P wrote:

Alexis A wrote:

Lala A wrote:

Thank you, 

Just to clarify: it makes no difference if the respective thresholds are reached by 1, 5 or 100 jobs, as long as it's the same client.  

I actually wasn't even aware of that. Thanks for the clarification!

JoanneP

Hi Lala,

If the project has been completed, you may request from the client to close the contract. When your client releases a milestone or final payment on a fixed-price job, it immediately shows as pending on your financial account. Pending payments become available for you to withdraw after the standard five-day security period.  Please check out this article from Upwork help for more information. Thank you.

~ Joanne
Upwork
Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths