🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » Will I get my Connects back?
Page options
alyssa-hurley
Community Member

Will I get my Connects back?

Just today I've had to flag 8 separate job postings as being inappropriate because they want to interview me over a third party site. I've wasted time and Connects on these proposals. Will I get my Connects back?

It seems that the majority of postings I'm submitting proposals for are scams. Is Upwork doing anything to combat this? I'm obviously very disappointed in Upwork's vetting process. Now I have no Connects to use for legitimate job postings.

8 REPLIES 8
pgiambalvo
Community Member

You will get them back eventually. Too bad you wasted them on jobs you assumed were legit and won't be able to apply to other jobs in the meantime. Of course if they hadn't been allowed to be posted and appear in your feed, you wouldn't have been able to apply to them, no matter how good or bad you are at spotting scam posts. 

deardipu
Community Member

To Alyssa, 

Those connects will be given you back if Upwork finds those job post are scams.

My suggestion: try to figure out it before submitting the proposals. Because although Upwork will give you connects back but it consumes your time and other opportunities. 

luce-neidert
Community Member

Alyssa, don't bother to answer any job offer from companies that have'nt yet done any business on Upwork. The fastest way to see if a company has done business on Upwork before is to look at the 5 stars at the bottom of the offer.

I've they're green, chances are the company is not a scammer. Also, take the time to look at the companies' past jobs, see if they pay correct rates, see what other freelancers have to say about them... Don't just answer any job offer, particularly now, when there's a wave of fake offers.

Totally agree. Until Upwork fixes this mess, best to only to apply to jobs that show a history of money spent.

And also be be vary wary of any invites you get. Check the actual job post and if they show no history, decline them.

a_kuntsi
Community Member

Obviously, not all new clients are scammers. And I'm not saying anyone here meant that. But as long as you are a new freelancer and haven't read maybe thousands of job postings during the years it may be better to stick to the clients who have done business here before, have actually hired freelancers and paid them, and have good reviews. Especially now when a scammer attack is going on.

You will save time and don't need to wait for refunded connects. And be without connects in the meantime.

alyssa-hurley
Community Member

Update: I've received emails about several of the jobs I flagged being removed from Upwork for TOS violations. I have yet to receive the Connects back.

You should usually get them between 24 and 48 hours.

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths