🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » providing identification to a customer
Page options
maggieg58
Community Member

providing identification to a customer

I have seen so many scammers out there, so maybe I'm being paranoid. But is it normal for a client to ask for a government issue ID before they'll hire you to work? I know Upwork requires this, but I am wondering about the job I am bidding on. Really?

4 REPLIES 4
gilbert-phyllis
Community Member

No. Clients are not employers. They don't need and should not request any ID. As far as they are concerned, UW has verified that you are who you say you are. 

prestonhunter
Community Member

re: "Is it normal for a client to ask for a government issue ID before they'll hire you to work?"

No.

It is highly unusual for a legitimate client to do that.

This type of behavior is most often seen among scammers.

However:
It IS POSSIBLE for a real client to ask for something like that.

A client may come to Upwork unaware that Upwork already records this information from active freelancers who are getting hired.

Upwork DOES NOT BAN a freelancer from showing government-issued ID to a client. But Upwork representatives regularly warn against doing this and/or advise caution when doing so.

What should YOU DO?

If you think this is a real client, there are a few options:

a) Tell the client: "Frank: Thank you for your interest in having me work on this project. Did you want ID for verification? Great! I have provided my driver's license and passport to Upwork already, and have participated in identity verification procedures, including a live interview. I authorize you to check with Upwork Customer Support for all of your identity verification questions."

b) Just send them the information they are asking for, like Maisie did. A real client wanted to hire Maisie to do real work. He asked to see Maisie's driver's license. She scanned her driver's license and and then blacked out the address and driver's license number. She then sent the image file to the client. He could see that she really was who she claimed to be. That's all he wanted, and Maisie worked for the client and earned money.

pgiambalvo
Community Member

Yes, there are many scammers here and this sounds like one of them. Read and follow the toS to protect yourself because UW's filtering process does not stop many of the scam posts from appearing and then reappearing.

BojanS
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Margaret,

Please be careful not to share any private or sensitive information with clients on Upwork. All the information needed to hire and pay you via Upwork is available on your profile. You can check this help article for crucial information that will help you have a safe and successful journey on Upwork.

Thank you! 

~ Bojan
Upwork
Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths